Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:52 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,862,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
Stivers is not comparable to a typical suburban high school. Stivers' program is centered on the visual and performing arts. It is a magnet school. As far as I know there are no suburban high schools centered around a specialized program like this in the Dayton area.
Very true. My comment that it was comparable was simply based on its quality, like saying that a Centerville student could get an equal or better education from Stivers.

Also, we are obtaining a new magnent school in the region when the STEM school for Montgomery/Greene counties opens up in Fairborn and operates in conjunction with WPAFB and WSU, but yes, right now Stivers is our area's only magnent school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 07:51 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,150 times
My nephew goes to something like a STEM school in Louisville. Louisville has this math & science magnet program for elementary and middle school kids, not sure about high school. This will be a good add to the Dayton area.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:52 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,862,399 times
^Yeah, that would be good. Maybe Prfttimeofday has more info on that.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:34 PM

390 posts, read 1,047,969 times
I am very dissapointed that Social Studies is not as prevelant as it should be, though. Our schools focus alot on the aspects of science and math, but don't learn how to literally apply these tools to society. Education should be taught in a more "job-oriented" atmosphere because it DOES teach kids how they'll be using what they learn. So many students ask the question, "When am I ever going to use this?" and although they will use alot of what they learned, it has to be retaught in college because it is not implied and taught how it will be used. Social Studies helps students better understand this. At Vandalia-Butler High School, they only offer World Studies, U.S. Studies, Government, and Mythology while there are dozens of math and science oriented classes. Does anyone agree that kids should learn more about society, politics, life-application, and individual responsibility?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:38 PM

26 posts, read 69,532 times
My mom is a teacher and she used to work in for DPS. She and I often talk about the schools in Dayton and many of the conversations lead to the chater schools in the city. She hates them, she blames them for the poor education that DPS students recieve. The charter schools suck all the money out of the DPS. Because many of the students in the charter schools would be going to DPS if they weren't in the charter schools DPS has to split the money they recieve with them, which leads to more teaching jobs and extra curricular activities being cut. That often leads to less qualified teachers being hired and the students being less enthused about schools. However, that is not all of it, some parents of the students don't give a sh*t and that doesn't help.

My point is that the DPS would do better without Charter schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
View detailed profiles of: