Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 01:27 PM

9 posts, read 76,222 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband, 20 month daughter and I are moving soon to Ohio. We are orginally from Indianapolis. His job is in surgical sales and his territory will be a "triangular" area around Zenia, Troy to Marysville and close around and inbetween (I hope that makes sense). We have NO clue about Ohio. His new boss said not to live in Springfield because we'd be bored to tears. We are pretty young, I am 22 and he is 25. We still want an entertaining area but my main concern would be who has the best school districts. We want a wealthier suburb, as home we are looking to buy can be upwards to 400,000. Something that isn't particular too "country".

I'm sad to be living Indy - it seems that from looking through threads people aren't too thrilled to be living in Ohio But its a great opportunity for us so I want to try to make the best of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 02:32 PM

296 posts, read 842,407 times
Please don't let other's perceptions get you down! I live IN Dayton and love it. Also could make many arguments to many of the not so positive posts on Dayton.

You want a suburb - cool. I could recommend Oakwood if you would like to live in the Dayton area. On the other hand - Marysville is really nice and not that far north of Columbus. May wanna give it some consideration.

Springfield is likely to be way too small for your tastes and would be considered pretty boring from a night life perspective. In fact it's out right depressed in some areas. Not that I am trying to bash Springfield. Also, that kinda money would get you a lot of home in Beavercreek or Centerville. I think both areas have excellent ratings for their schools systems.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:48 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,862,399 times
Try Yellow Springs. Definitely fits the criteria and within range.

Also, if you're really christian, Ceaderville may work, or Wilberforce if you're African-American.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:56 PM

219 posts, read 893,819 times
Oakwood would work well, but it'd be a long drive to get to Marysville. Marysville itself could be nice. Troy has some young families too and good schools, but it's a small town.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:05 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,150 times
Unfortunatly for you the territory you mentioned...Xenia/Troy/Marysville...is mostly rural areas and Springfield sits in the middle of it. It's all country and small town. Springfield is a small industrial city like Anderson or Muncie, but maybe nicer than Anderson.

If you want a busy, active urban area the nearest are Dayton and Columbus. Your husband could drive to his territory from suburban Columbus (Marysville is closer to Columbus than Dayton), say from Dublin, which would fit your criterea of a wealthy suburb. Columbus is very much geared to younger singles and families.

However, I definetly agree that Yellow Springs would be a great choice, except it is a smaller town. A very funky small town with a very good school district, but still a small town. Another wealthy suburb near Xenia is Beavercreek. This is a busy, booming (for Dayton) area which might be a good fit.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:16 PM

9 posts, read 76,222 times
Thank you for your input! We've actually been researching Beavercreek alot. Oakwood sounds nice too

Old 09-26-2009, 12:00 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Bella Love15, I think Ohio will grow on you! I like Indy a lot, (we used to live in West Lafayette) But we like OH just as well. Welcome!

Oakwood is VERY nice (we live in Washington Twp, which is probably too far South for you guys...) We don't have a Fishers/Noblesville/Carmel emerging Northeast of Dayton yet...

Old 09-27-2009, 06:39 PM

390 posts, read 1,047,872 times
Most know what my suggestion is already...Vandalia. You said your looking for a northern suburb? The average home sale in Vandalia is roughly 150,00-225,000. However, Vandalia has some very nice areas like Meeker Creek, Timberwind, Fox Run, Singing Ridge, Copperfield, and Park Place. Meeker Creek homes are generally at least 350,000 and some are all the way up in the millions. Meeker Creek consists of roughly 80 homes. But if you want something closer to downtown Vandalia or Miller Lane where there are a HUGE ammount of restaurants that are newer, I'd check out Singing RIdge, Fox Run, or Timberwind. There are many other developments in Vandalia I just can't remember what they're called. Singing Ridge has a more urban style housing with a mix of large houses, duplexes, condos, and town/row houses. There is also alot of new developments going on around that area and it is a two minute walk from Miller Lane. Vandalia-Butler City Schools are rated Excellent and are one of the better schools in the Dayton region. The district is shooting for Excellent with Distinction for this school year by cracking down and really working hard as a community effort. They are also getting ready to build a brand new high school and middle school. The city is up and coming and the are is generally upper-middle class and high end homes. There are alot of nice apartments too around the Sports COmplex and Helke Park. The area is really seeing alot of growth, too. It has a certain charm to it. Englewood/Northmont area. This is also a great area. Not as big as Vandalia-Butler, however the schools did a little bit better this past year. Also, the area sits out a little more rural. Nice town and nice area though that also has seen growth. However I would say it is overall one step down from Vandalia. Mostly middle class with some upper class but not quite as signifgant in numbers as other communities. If you are looking for something that has an urban feel, I would suggest the unique town of Tipp City. Although it isn't as big, it has quite a signifigantly sized downtown area full of wonderful shoppes, game arcades, book stores, cofee shops, and many other ineresting places and ammentities. The schools are also excellent and the city just built a new high school. It's only a twenty minute drive from downtown Dayton. Huber Heights. The city has seen limited growth recently due to a decreasing population, rising crime rates, and a lower interest in development. THe city grew rapidly in the 50's and continued this trend throughout the 80's and some of the 90's and then there came a rapid stop. There have been some developments, but none upper class and the city is mostly middle class. There is still hope for Huber as it does have some nice qualities such as it has many good department stores like Kohls, Elder-Beerman, Gander Mountai, Bed Bath and Beyond, Walmart Super, and Lowes. Besides that, I personally don't think Huber fits your taste. Troy is much like Tipp City except its further out, and doesn't do quite as well. Bigger downtown, though. North Dayton- no. No. NO! Riverside is an area where youd have to compromise. However, the city has seen some growth. They have a new high school Stebbins. They are also getting a new train station on the 3C corridor, a train route that will connect all of Ohio's major cities. Brookville. Way too rural. Great town. But way too rural. Trotwood. Nothing nice and new and death of business.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:27 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,630,638 times
Don't let the NEGATIVE people on here change your perception of Ohio. Ohio is just like Indiana, just a much bigger population. I know a lot of people dislike Indiana, but I make my own opinion on it.

Check out Beavercreek. I moved here from Philadelphia, and I really like it. It was just recently on CNN's top 100 best places to live list, and is really a growing area. There is plenty of shopping from The Greene to other malls within a 10 minute drive. The city of Dayton is not far either. Dayton is a great area to live in, and raise a family. You are also not far from bigger cities like Cincinnati and Columbus.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:26 PM

390 posts, read 1,047,872 times
Why are you calling me negative i promoted like four cities. I just was honest. Who honestly would tell someone to move to Trotwood or Riverside? That is definitly not a good investment. If you ACTUALLY care about people and the families that look on here you would tell them the truth and stop telling them that Dayton is nice and blah blah blah. There are parts of Dayton that are nice but nothing is really thriving. I wish it was- but thats not true. The only thing that is thriving right now is the suburbs. Stop bsing people. Thats what needs to happen on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton