Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:23 AM

9 posts, read 76,206 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband, 20 month old daughter and I are relocating to Ohio soon from Indianapolis. He is in surgical sales and his territory is xenia to troy to marysville (around and inbetween). I think we've decided on relocating to Beavercreek. We would love to live at "Gilbert Court at the Greene", but there are no 3 bedrooms available. What is the housing market like in this area? Our range will be upwards to around 400-500K. For the first year or so though, we'd like to live in an apartment until we are familiar with the area. Since the greene is not available I've looked a bit at Mallard Landings? Does anyone have any other suggestions? What are you thoughts on Beavercreek in general, have we made a good choice on a suburb based on school districts, safety, etc.? We are pretty young, I am 22 and my husband is 25. It seems like it is a family-oriented community but still offers some entertainment for people our age.

Also, I am going to school for nursing. While I will have to wait awhile to b eligible for instate tuition, are there any good nursing programs around this area?

Thanks for your input, we really appreciate it. We have no idea about this area - the only place I've been to in Ohio is Kings Island!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 03:17 PM

164 posts, read 381,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLove15 View Post
Hi! My husband, 20 month old daughter and I are relocating to Ohio soon from Indianapolis. He is in surgical sales and his territory is xenia to troy to marysville (around and inbetween). I think we've decided on relocating to Beavercreek. We would love to live at "Gilbert Court at the Greene", but there are no 3 bedrooms available. What is the housing market like in this area? Our range will be upwards to around 400-500K. For the first year or so though, we'd like to live in an apartment until we are familiar with the area. Since the greene is not available I've looked a bit at Mallard Landings? Does anyone have any other suggestions? What are you thoughts on Beavercreek in general, have we made a good choice on a suburb based on school districts, safety, etc.? We are pretty young, I am 22 and my husband is 25. It seems like it is a family-oriented community but still offers some entertainment for people our age.

Also, I am going to school for nursing. While I will have to wait awhile to b eligible for instate tuition, are there any good nursing programs around this area?

Thanks for your input, we really appreciate it. We have no idea about this area - the only place I've been to in Ohio is Kings Island!
I lived in Fieldstone Apartments on the edge of Beavercreek for two years - great place, and it's only a mile straight up the road from The Greene. Seems like you'd be spending some time there so that would be convenient. I'm only 24 and I'd recommend the area overall... plenty to do reasonably close by. But if you're looking for true nightlife, you need to either go downtown, to Cincy, etc.

The floorplans were really open, which was the major selling point for me. They also had very big patios/decks along with a huge pool and nice fitness center. It's also real close to I-675 so that would make it easy for your husband to hop on the freeway and head Northeast. Extremely quiet complex as well, which I assume is important with the baby.

Website here - Fieldstone Apartments in Beavercreek - Home

Old 09-24-2009, 03:28 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,451,683 times
There's a brand new apartment complex in Beavercreek by an Indianapolis developer: The Lofts at Willow Creek. Mallard Landing is very convenient to shopping and is in the busier part of Beavercreek, close to restaurants and such. There are a number of apartment complexes in the vicinity between I-675 and Kemp Road, west of Fairfield Road.

Beavercreek is a family oriented area but over the past 15 years or so the area had developed a good set of apartment and condo complexes catering to singles, young couples and young families. Beavercreek does not have a city income tax so this would be an advantage to living there.

There are posters here who live in Beavercreek and hopefully they will provide more detailed info.

For nursing , if you lived in Beavercreek you would be very close to Wright State University, which is just across I-675 from Beavercreek. They have a nursing program. Here is the website:

College of Nursing and Health

The hospital they are affliated with, Miami Valley, is in the heart of the city, so there would be some communting involved (not very far as Beavercreek is actually closer in than some of the southern suburbs).

Old 09-24-2009, 07:45 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times
I live/lived in Beavercreek (I am currently at school in Columbus) for 19 years. I went all the way from preschool through high school in the Beavercreek school system.

I would recommend every school in the system as they are all great, but if I had to choose one elementary, I'd go with Fairbrook. Or Valley. Both are not as crowded as the other schools in Beavercreek and both are National Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence. Overcrowding is the districts largest problem, but that is an outgrowth of the districts excellence. The district is also currently building a new elementary and middle school in the Eastern township. Ferguson middle school (north Beavercreek) will become an auxillary building for the main high school building, making it a campus setting.

As for apartments, I also recommend Fieldstone. The complex is newer than Mallard Landing and probably has fewer students living there as it's not as close to Wright State University. Also, there is less traffic near Fieldstone because it is tucked back from the main road.

You will easily be able to find a house in your price range in Beavercreek. That money will buy you a new or slightly used 4000+ square foot house in the more upscale Beavercreek neighborhoods. Some neighborhoods in (or even a little below, but will still get you plenty of house) that price range that I'd recommend would be Tara Falls/Tara West, Kingswood Forrest, and some of the smaller (i.e. Patio Homes) homes in Country Club of the North. Most of the newer neighborhoods are in the northern or eastern half of Beavercreek. One that I like is Stonehill Village. That would also fit your price point, plus the neighborhood will be the home to the new elementary school. There's already a private pool and clubhouse there as well.

As for the market, it is pretty steady, but not super busy, so you should be able to find a decent deal, especially on the higher end of the market. IMO, the market, however, will probably be on the move up in a couple years due to the nearby air force base adding 2000+ jobs by 2011. Those jobs and transfers are just starting to begin now.

Beavercreek is a bedroom community that has become a city unto itself. There is really little reason to leave Beavercreek with its numerous workplaces, shopping centers, neighborhoods, and in a few years, a new hospital. Most of the city is residential, so families make up a large portion of the population. There is some nightlife with The Greene, but that might get old after a while, so there's always the bars at the Oregon District about 15 minutes away. Even better, I675 gives you direct access to Cincinnati in 45+/- mins and Columbus in 1 hour, so you aren't too far from even more action.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:23 PM

104 posts, read 313,785 times
I've lived in Beavercreek since 1995. First in Summerfield which is a Ryland development near 35 and 675. It was a great neighborhood, but Ryland construction is not the best. We currently live in Kings Gate Estates which is all custom homes and probably higher than your price range. Just north of us is a Drees development and also a lot of condos. You'll have NO problem finding GOOD houses in your price range.

I do a lot of work in South Park and have leased to and am talking to someone else who lived in the Greene and they were not at all impressed with the construction. The units have just gone up too fast & furiously. The Greene has a movie set/Disneyland feel to it - perhaps because it's a fake downtown in the suburbs. Some people love it, others don't. I tend not to go there because I prefer local restaurants to national chains. My husband & I are empty nesters so we eat out a lot and spend most of our time at local restaurants in the Oregon District or around UD.

I can't speak for Beavercreek schools because our kids went to private Catholic schools - St Anthony's and Carroll - but they consistently get good ratings.

My ONLY concern with Beavercreek is the future. I feel like we've put all of our eggs in the WPAFB basket and while there is a lot of growth now because of BRAC 2005, ultimately the Air Force wants to downsize. Also, they're starting to pull a lot of contracting jobs back in as civilian ones. If we lose in future BRACs, I'm not sure what else Beavercreek will have to fall back on.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:25 PM

390 posts, read 1,047,558 times
One might say its risky if you want your daughter to have a good education.

I'm sure that the schools are great, but it is a risk because Beavercreek has recently had a population boom that has caused it's schools to literally be very crowded. VERY crowded. I think they are talking about building another high school but I am unsure. They're gonna have to. The school population jumped like 600 students in a single year like two or three years ago and ever since it's still been rising. However, Beavercreek is a great community. Growing. Two malls. Plenty of access and really nice. Friendly people. Some more negatives might be- traffic, population, urbanism (if you don't like that), and an increase in crime. The crime rates are still considerably low considering the rising population. I would have to say that if Beavercreek for some reason becomes a "no" then consider Oakwood, Centerville, or maybe Bellbrook. Northbound you might like Vandalia, Butler Township, or Tipp City.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:38 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,630 times
We have plenty of new schools, don't worry, I have been to the schools already numerous times this year, very nice and new, and no problems with crowding, except the halls get busy in between classes.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:49 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgasper View Post

My ONLY concern with Beavercreek is the future. I feel like we've put all of our eggs in the WPAFB basket and while there is a lot of growth now because of BRAC 2005, ultimately the Air Force wants to downsize. Also, they're starting to pull a lot of contracting jobs back in as civilian ones. If we lose in future BRACs, I'm not sure what else Beavercreek will have to fall back on.
TGasper, my (somewhat) educated opinion is that we are fortunate that Wright-Patt is a logistics/R&D base versus one with just a flying mission. Aircraft pretty much just need ramp space for parking and some hangar space. Most of the base personnel in a flying organization are military and very few are hired locally. It's fairly easy to shuffle flying operations from one base to another. Wright-Patt needs more specialized facilities for it's mission, relies heavily on civilians, many whom are hired locally and has relationships with local universities and other resources a flying operation doesn't really need. More civilian contractors are likely to set up here than outside a base with only a flying mission. So I'm hoping those factors will keep WPAFB out of danger as the USAF downsizes...

Old 03-29-2010, 08:23 AM

7 posts, read 44,804 times
Crossing at Canterbury Trails immediately off of New Germany Trebiein, one story ranch conds is right on Beaverceeek-Fairborn city limit, in Beavercreek. Check out Patrick Blvd on Realtor.com. Good choice

Old 03-30-2010, 01:44 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiners60 View Post
Crossing at Canterbury Trails immediately off of New Germany Trebiein, one story ranch conds is right on Beaverceeek-Fairborn city limit, in Beavercreek. Check out Patrick Blvd on Realtor.com. Good choice
That is a nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton