Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 07:15 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times

Advertisements

Good Morning everyone and a Happy Thursday!

Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
THURSDAY! ..............OK...so it isn't all that exciting.

Here's a couple for Ketabcha, Camper and TFW who are all hot in Texas.....

I worry about the feet on my poor dogs when we go walking and they can't get off to some grass.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:12 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
I worry about the feet on my poor dogs when we go walking and they can't get off to some grass.
Maybe you could go down to the Dollar Store and pick up some cheap baby/toddler size socks for them. I'm really surprised they don't make dog socks for people who live where the ground/sidewalks are really hot or when it snows.

Maybe I should start a company.....call it Paw Packers.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Maybe you could go down to the Dollar Store and pick up some cheap baby/toddler size socks for them. I'm really surprised they don't make dog socks for people who live where the ground/sidewalks are really hot or when it snows.

Maybe I should start a company.....call it Paw Packers.
Sweet thought but have you ever tried to make dog walk with something on it's feet?

Old 07-28-2011, 10:41 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
No but the visual is pretty funny Camper...poor doggie

Old 07-28-2011, 04:31 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Sweet thought but have you ever tried to make dog walk with something on it's feet?
Decades ago, when our springer spaniel was in heat, I'd buy little boy underwear and put it on her backwards....with her little wagging tail hanging out of the little 'slot'......was glad she didn't have to pee very often...

I've had something on a foot of a cat or dog..can't remember where or when...they try to kick it off....it is like they have gum on their feet...

Hope all are doing well today......

Still dealing with the mosquito problem....my neighbor brought over a little bit of some home made lotion that a lady makes in another state.....it's all natural....his friends bought it when they went to Africa and didn't get any bites....I put some on last night, (wore shorts and t-shirt), and took the dog for a walk late at night...I only got one bite on the back of my neck....(my girl and I have probably received 50 each since we moved here in late May). She makes it in very small batches.....it's a cross between body lotion and sun lotion.....I like it.

I am trying everything under the sun...can't even go out to the road to get the mail or walk a guest to a car, I get bitten....am gonna find some dried sage and burn it...an old Indian remedy....the neighbors will think I'm nuts, but I don't care. Long clothes will help, but it's hot here right now. Bought some Bounce dryer sheets, gonna try those. I spray Off on me and they bite me anyway..crawled up under my shorts (bit me near panties), and under my garden gloves, (bit my hand), 2 days ago.. Bought some of those OFF things that hang on your belt, but directions on the INSIDE of package said you can't be moving around..(and when I think of that commercial, the woman is placing one on a patio table and sitting on a chaise lounge with a book)..have to stay in one place so the invisible fume can get around you....my goal is to garden....I move around a lot once outside.... Bought some 'bracelets' at Bed, Bath and whatever...haven't tried those yet..they are good for camping, etc...once you open the package, they last up to 200 hours.... Bought some B1, but my nurse practitioner friend told me that it only works in about 50% of the population....she also said to use benadryl if they itch too much.... I rub lavendar oil on the bites..helps just as much as the itch topical meds., but it makes me smell like earth-woman. The area has been sprayed at least twice....a little pick up slowly drives around late at night and a plume of spray comes out of the bed....gets the bugs near the road I guess, but not near the house..... Bought one of those electrocution black light things, but no place to hang it on the patio yet......under the eaves is not stucco or wood...it looks like wood, but it is something else....don't want to puncture it with a hook....have to figure something else out.

I did a lot of reserch on those Blue Rhino machines that cover an acre yesterday....lots of people like them, but they do break down and have to be taken apart to check ignition switches, clogged valves, etc..and people wrote and said that there is not a lot of support from the company who makes them after they break. Anyway, they're a few hundred bucks and I don't want to have something that breaks down...(trying to simplify my life here, not be tied down taking stuff apart all the time---husband hates to do that kind of stuff. I'll take things apart to try to fix and save money, but sometimes mess them up worse)..so I ordered some lantern thingies off of Amazon that our friend in CT. uses in his back yard. They only have a 15 ft. radius, so only for the patio...maybe I can carry one out to the garden, stand still for a few minutes to let the fume accumulate and then bend down to pull weeds... ...ought to take me 6 hours to do a tiny area and then the cartridge will need refilled so I'll have to start over.... I think I need a bee keeper's outfit......or one of those bomb outfits that Marines wear.. We live very close to water, (can see lake from house), and we've had a wet spring/summer.....but there is no standing water on my property.

Okay, I know you all get mosquitos in TX., FL, Virginia, etc.....what else can you think of?

Old 07-29-2011, 06:22 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Wurzig,

Best quick fix for a skeeter bite is chap stick. If you stop the air getting to the bite, it stops itching. Many people also swear by the Skin so Soft products from Avon. For inside, you'll have to spray and for outside, there are a lot of good products.

Did you get the free sample of the bug off patch? I'll have to go look up the name. My daughter said the sample worked real well.
-------------------
I'll be back. Last morning with these little boys.....counting the hours.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:12 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
You are a very brave woman, Glory.

I thought I had posted this but I can't find it. So, if this is a repeat I'm sorry:

I got my stitches out yesterday. YIPPEE! This has been such a "pleasant" experience. The entire surgery thing and follow up has been amazing. I was never in much pain and the tumors were benign. I'm so lucky.

Thank you all for the posts and DMs that you sent me with good wishes.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
You are a very brave woman, Glory.

I thought I had posted this but I can't find it. So, if this is a repeat I'm sorry:

I got my stitches out yesterday. YIPPEE! This has been such a "pleasant" experience. The entire surgery thing and follow up has been amazing. I was never in much pain and the tumors were benign. I'm so lucky.

Thank you all for the posts and DMs that you sent me with good wishes.
That's fantastic!! So happy things are going great for you !!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:57 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
Quote:
Wurzig,

Best quick fix for a skeeter bite is chap stick. If you stop the air getting to the bite, it stops itching. Many people also swear by the Skin so Soft products from Avon. For inside, you'll have to spray and for outside, there are a lot of good products.

Did you get the free sample of the bug off patch? I'll have to go look up the name. My daughter said the sample worked real well.
-------------------
I'll be back. Last morning with these little boys.....counting the hours.

Chap stick! Okay, thanks!

I knew about Skin so Soft, but that smell has always gagged me since I was a kid......there are very few things that I can't take and that is one of them...... There are a couple of expensive perfumes that do that to me, too.....

No, I am very interested in hearing about the patch.....is it for the itching or to keep them away? (Since it says bug off, I am assuming it keeps them away???) I am just now getting back into the freebies---I don't have a lot of time to sit here...with this dog underfoot, it is taking me forever to get this house unpacked, organized, etc...I thought it would be done by now......grrrrr. (I am just getting too old for this puppy stuff.....will be glad when my crew flies back tomorrow....)

I have 2 of those Shell Pest Strips hanging up in the house......I've found a few dead mosquitos, etc. on the floor. I hate to even open the door, but I have to take the dog in and out about 100 times a day and I think they fly in during those times....it's just too hot for him out there right now and we don't have shade....he is very furry and hot all the time.....(he is going to do well in the snow though). We have a giant carrier for him, but he has almost outgrown it, so the next one is going to have to be one of those cage-types of carriers....but I can't stick him in it all the time......he needs to move around....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff