Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 11:32 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,526,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
And, yes, I'm back to gift wrapping again. I always insert batteries and check the items to make sure they work ok before wrapping -- this year every single battery compartment required a screwdriver to open. In years past, I could just flip open the battery compartments -- not so this year. And every toy (12 coin-counting banks, 3 large candy dispensers, 8 tricycle riding santas, etc) required 4 AA, AAA or watch batteries.

Next year I've been thinking about getting savings stamps books and stamps for the kids. I used to love buying 25-cent saving stamps with part of my allowance, licking/sticking the stamps into my post office-issued book and then, when the book was full, redeeming it for a $25 savings bond at the post office or bank. For my birthday, I was always thrilled to get more stamps. Did anyone else do that or was I the only nerd? Are savings stamps books even available any more?
I've never heard of that.....did you get a lot of bonds?

Old 12-13-2011, 11:38 PM

Elizabeth Taylor's jewelry is going to go on auction tomorrow.......I forgot where........Southeby's, Christies or that other one...... You can see it online.....$$$.....

Old 12-13-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Morning!! It is sooooo foggy here! Cant see your hand in front of your face. Or your mail box either. It's really bad.
I was raised in tule fog......it's different than ocean fog..... Tule fog is deadly..... Whenever you see an 80-car pileup on the news....going up Hwy 99 or I-5 in the middle of CA., that is because of tule fog......

Old 12-14-2011, 03:20 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
I've never heard of that.....did you get a lot of bonds?
I was the only nerd I ever knew who did that. The savings stamps looked like the old S&H green stamps that grocery stores used to give out with purchases in the 1950's-1960's. And, like those S&H green stamps, you got free booklets in which to paste the stamps.

The stamps came in different denominations. I tried to save my money to buy the 25-cent stamps because they were "special-looking" -- but as I recall, I ended up buying the 10-cent stamps a lot. When I filled up a book with the savings stamps, I had $18.75 worth of stamps. I then took the book to either the post office or a bank and got a $25 Savings Bond. I ended up with @ $300 in Savings Bonds and, when they matured (@ 12 years later), I cashed them in to buy a very expensive set of books ("The History of Mathematics") that I had wanted for years. Yes, I really was a nerd.

Partially-filled savings stamp books are for sale on eBay. Here's an auction that has a photo of both a 10-cent stamp and a saving stamp book (from 1954 -- the year that I started buying them). Gosh, that brings back so many memories.

1954 Savings Plan Booklet w/ 19 stamps: Mint Condition | eBay

For those younguns who dont recall S&H green stamps, they were the bomb! All grocery stores and many gas stations and department stores gave them out with purchases from the mid-1950's through the late 1960's (may have been different years in different regions). We'd paste them into little books and, when we'd accrued enough full books, we'd take them to S&H redemption centers or certain grocery stores and exchange them for toasters, coffee pots and all kinds of appliances. You could even get bicycles, radios, record players and really neat stuff.

In the 1950's and 1960's, they were a very big deal. Schools and churches even had green-stamp drives to get expensive equipment and furnishings.

Here's a brief article about the S&H green stamps. Even though I was a teenager when stores discontinued them, I really missed them a lot.

The Straight Dope: Whatever happened to Green Stamps?

And here's an eBay auction showing photos of some S&H green stamps and books:

VIntage 1960's S & H Green Stamps Book Full 1200 Stamps 40 Pages | eBay

Old 12-14-2011, 06:07 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
I don't have enough money to even LOOK at Elizabeth Taylor's auction......

Yeah, I DO remember the S & H stamps. My mom was an avid collector. I loved when we traded them in for stuff at the special S & H store. Wish the grocery stores would still do that. Wonder if Walmart would find it an interesting proposal? It would make getting groceries just about as much fun as checking the mailbox.

I'm just going to have to cancel this weekend''s family reunion. We all live at least 2 hours from each other and at least 1 person in every family has this nasty flu going around....including my mom. It is both like a chest cold and a stomach virus all rolled into one. We had three people out from work last night with it. This morning, my daughter has it and I do as well. There is no way to pull a big eating extravaganza out of that. I'll have to talk to my dad this morning to see what he wants to do.

I felt so bad last night I couldn't even post.....and that means REALLY sick.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:30 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,740,703 times
LOL GB ...............

Hi everyone. I am hoping that when the holidays are over I can become a "regular" here again.
Not enough hours in the day right now. Any bargains on magic wands GB?
I could use one.

Everyone done with the shpping before the last minute Annie's take over?

Have a great Wednesday all!

Feel better Glory...you and Izzy have had that a lot this year

Old 12-14-2011, 07:50 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,996,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Congrats to your girl! What is her major? Will she study for her masters full time and at the same school?
B.A. in English with Professional Writing and Creative Writing concentrations. English is her passion. Yes, we are very proud and she did it in three years while working the entire time, two jobs at once there for awhile for the tuition reimbursement. She wants to finish her masters in a years and a half while working full time. No, not the same school. This one is about 90 minutes away and she will commute to save money.

And she has paid every dime herself. She has paid for her car, her gas, insurance, cell phone, everything. I have not given her a dime for anything since high school.

Forgive me if this sounds like bragging but I'm a little proud.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
And, yes, I'm back to gift wrapping again. I always insert batteries and check the items to make sure they work ok before wrapping -- this year every single battery compartment required a screwdriver to open. In years past, I could just flip open the battery compartments -- not so this year. And every toy (12 coin-counting banks, 3 large candy dispensers, 8 tricycle riding santas, etc) required 4 AA, AAA or watch batteries.

Next year I've been thinking about getting savings stamps books and stamps for the kids. I used to love buying 25-cent saving stamps with part of my allowance, licking/sticking the stamps into my post office-issued book and then, when the book was full, redeeming it for a $25 savings bond at the post office or bank. For my birthday, I was always thrilled to get more stamps. Did anyone else do that or was I the only nerd? Are savings stamps books even available any more?
I've never heard of the saving stamps books but love the idea. Just the idea of teaching them anticipation and reward at a young age.

Glad to see your up to wrapping again. Now I wish we lived closer so you could come help ME!!! I've done a few small ones but thats it. I came up with a brain storm the other day. I have all these little cellophane cookie bags with cute designs that I buy on after Christmas sales for penny's and all these hard to wrap small things. I just wrapped the gift in pretty colored tissue paper and put it in one the new bags and tied with a pretty ribbon and it looks so adorable!

Old 12-14-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I don't have enough money to even LOOK at Elizabeth Taylor's auction......

Yeah, I DO remember the S & H stamps. My mom was an avid collector. I loved when we traded them in for stuff at the special S & H store. Wish the grocery stores would still do that. Wonder if Walmart would find it an interesting proposal? It would make getting groceries just about as much fun as checking the mailbox.

I'm just going to have to cancel this weekend''s family reunion. We all live at least 2 hours from each other and at least 1 person in every family has this nasty flu going around....including my mom. It is both like a chest cold and a stomach virus all rolled into one. We had three people out from work last night with it. This morning, my daughter has it and I do as well. There is no way to pull a big eating extravaganza out of that. I'll have to talk to my dad this morning to see what he wants to do.

I felt so bad last night I couldn't even post.....and that means REALLY sick.
Glory, so sorry you've all been so sick this year. With all of you living in such close quarters and so mcuh going around, maybe an air purifier would do some good. Just a thought. That and lots of Lysol!!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:22 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
I think it has a lot to do with Florida Camper. We really don't get enough cold weather to kill off the germs....and I live in a swampier low lying area as well. I think an air purifier would be an excellent idea though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff