Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 10:46 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
TFW,

What I think was horrible is that your mother forced you into a convent. I just can't imagine having to give up a full ride at Rice. Seriously, just being accepted at Rice is fantastic. Lots try to get in but few are chosen and then to be offered a scholarship is just so wonderful.

The thing is that you are now happy and you have a loving family plus Queenie. You have survived a lot of things and you came out on top with nary a mean bone in your body.

If I was rich I would buy those math books for you, TFW.
Rice? Convent? DANG, I still need to go back!

Old 12-22-2011, 10:47 PM

GB, did you cut your hair? Is that why you got sick?

Okay, I need to go back and find the info on Rice and Convents.....

Old 12-22-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
How I wish I did still have those books, Wurzig!! I think I've posted here that I entered a convent after high school. (If I havent, dont faint. I was accepted into Rice University to major in math on a full scholarship. At the last minute, the nuns at my all-girl Catholic high school convinced my mother that Rice U would turn me into a pagan and my mother refused to let me attend. Under the persuasion of my mother, who had several brothers and sisters as priests and nuns in Germany, I "agreed" to become a nun instead. )

Anyway, I wasnt allowed to bring the math books with me to the convent. I stayed in that convent only about 18 months (when my mother went back to Germany to visit relatives, I called my father to get me out of there ) but, in that time, my mother had disposed of all my belongings.

I've often thought about buying another set of those books but they cost $300 back in the late 1950's. Every time I looked into getting another set, the cost was outrageous. The last time I checked, the books were out of print.
I can NOT believe this! Makes me so sad for you....

Old 12-22-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
That is a really interesting story TFW! I have questions as to what the inside of a convent is really like. I will ask them later when I can actually post for any particular period of time.

For now, I'm sicker than I have been in a long time. I'm rethinking NOT getting the flu shot. Whatever I have is not a cold, it is so bad until my skin hurts. I haven't been to work in 2 days. All I do is lay in bed sleeping while watching odd stuff online. Yesterday, it was Ewan McGregor's 15 hour documentary about his motorcycle trip from London to New York....going East. (The Long Way Around) which was the name of the program. I don't remember lots of it other than the fact that he is incredibly hot. I did notice THAT particular part even though I felt like I was near death. (OK. maybe it was all the medicine I was taking..............)

I have to go shopping this morning and I shouldn't even be driving.
Did the doctor say you have a fungus in your lungs or did he just guess by trying to give you that concoction of stuff?

You haven't had any mice in your house have you?

Old 12-22-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Ha...you sound like my mom who said if it wasn't for antics of MY KIDS, the rest of the family would never have anything to talk about.

I was too miserable to check out the cops. They were in their 30's and really rude. I realize they had a mission, but it was obvious the majority of the people there were only eating Christmas dinner.

Oh well.....another year has passed. I'll just move on.
Moving on is sometimes the best thing to do........January will make a new start......

Old 12-22-2011, 11:02 PM

Hi to everybody! Merry kissmass!

Old 12-23-2011, 05:47 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,995,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
GB, did you cut your hair? Is that why you got sick?

Okay, I need to go back and find the info on Rice and Convents.....
Silly girl, I cut my hair and I got sick, not GloryB sick, but still sick and on meds sick.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:56 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
You haven't had any mice in your house have you?
No...no mice.

Is there a 'mice flu' going around?

Old 12-23-2011, 05:58 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
Hi to everybody! Merry kissmass!
I've kissed more mass than I should've this year.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:31 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,995,149 times
Quote:
I've kissed more mass than I should've this year.
Maybe thats why you got sick??

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE EVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff