Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 02:07 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Happy EARLY birthday, tfw! Remind us when the real day comes because we are all senile... I am glad you are feeling a bit better.....I think we were all worried about a concussion or blood clot or whatever else can happen when you hit your head....

GB, you are under a lot of stress and have been for quite some time.......it's okay to have a drink every once in awhile......go for it, girl! Did you drop green food coloring in it? I have never had a green beer.

Keta, keep reading and telling us about it..... I just finished a James Patterson book......I just love that guy...easy reading, takes no concentration...(I am to the point of no concentration in my life, as if you guys didn't already know).....he is the highest paid author in the world......he just keeps turning them out....I can't keep up. He's got a little kid......man, that kid is set for life and then some! I also like Harlen Coben.....and a few others.

Okay, get this: We are now kinda 'retired', so I am letting a few things go to see if my husband will do it..(keep in mind that my husband is a published author, a public speaker and has a genius IQ---he's a vet, got out of the service, had a double major in 2.5 years and is magna c*m laude, is listed in who's who....he's really quite accomplished....opposites attract---I'm educated but happy making mud pies)....his side of the bathroom mirror was looking pretty smeared up a few days ago but I said nothing......this morning I looked at it and it was WORSE..... I couldn't take it anymore and finally asked him what in the hail is he using on it? (Also keep in mind that under my sink is too crowded with lotions, powders, perfumes, etc.....and under his sink, one half is vitamins and shaving stuff, and the other half contains paper towels, cleaning supplies, etc.) We were by his sink and he opens the door and grabs something and says, 'I don't know why this is happening. I am using this stuff'. He pulls out Tilex! I said, 'no wonder your clothes have spots on them! This is bleach!' I grabbed a container of those Invisible Glass wipees and also pointed to a container of orange-red Cinch....I said, 'use one of these'.......so he did. I am still LMAO as I write this......and he'd be mortified if he knew I wrote this....I think it's cute...he makes so few mistakes.....it shows that he is human...and at least he is trying to clean his area of the mirror....hahahahaha! Almost 40 years with this guy! (Of course, when he points out my mistakes, I get upset and start crying)......
I thought that maybe the pony had rubbed his nose on the mirror.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:15 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,526,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I thought that maybe the pony had rubbed his nose on the mirror.
LOL...so far, no......I try to keep him out of the master bedroom/bath as much as possible, so the door is usually closed...(he does sneak in there though to check things out when 'the absent minded professor' leaves it open).....my very expensive (aka: cherished), oriental rug is now in there and I can only handle so many rooms with dog hairs....(last summer he chewed the end of another one that I've had for over 35 years when he was supposed to being watched 'by somebody else who shall remain nameless'.......)

Old 03-18-2012, 05:59 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
Wurzig, I love to read too. I've read all Harlen Coben's books and I used to like James Patterson too -- until he started lending his name as co-author to books written by others.

My favorite author, by far, is DONALD WESTLAKE. OMG, he was a genius. Under that name he wrote many easy-reading funny mysteries: THE HOT ROCK, WHAT'S THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN, WHY ME, SMOKE (too funny), DROWNED HOPES (just as funny) and many others. One book, JIMMY THE KID (really funny), was made into a movie starring Gary Coleman in 1982.

Most of the Westlake books feature a hapless burglar named John Dortmunder. I came to feel such great affection for Dortmunder and his buddies-in-crime that, when Westlake died of a heart attack a few years ago, I felt as though I had truly lost some close friends.

Then, under the name RICHARD STARK, he wrote serious mysteries featuring a cold-blooded, ruthless thief Parker (THE MAN WITH THE GETAWAY FACE, etc). The first sentence in one book is "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage killing a man." The movies "Point Blank" (1967) and "Payback" (1999) were based on his Parker books. They're the kind of books I probably wouldnt have read if not for the fact that I like his writing style so much.

It was interesting to see how the same mind could write about such totally different characters and in such totally different styles. He used to say that, on sunny days, he wrote as Donald Westlake and, on rainy days, he wrote as Richard Stark. He used at least 12 names in the course of a career in which he wrote more than 100 books. He was often called the best writer in America by other authors.

He also wrote mysteries that were half-funny-and-half-serious, under a third name what I cant recall right now. It's very interesting when he brings all his characters together in passing at times.

If you havent read his books, please at least try the Westlake ones. I promise you'll enjoy them.

Last edited by TFW46; 03-18-2012 at 06:20 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 06:04 PM

Wurzig, I got a kick out of the Tilex.

And, Glory, I dont recall whether I congratulated your daughter on her new job. I'm so sorry that your company is treating youall so "in your face".

Old 03-18-2012, 06:28 PM

My grandson sent this to me. I'm not sure which is funnier -- the bear or the kids:

http://cfile10.uf.tistory.com/media/1163A83E4EA13F5623A787 (broken link)

Old 03-18-2012, 10:17 PM

I will keep my eye out for Westlake.......

I have noticed a lot of names next to Patterson's.......

Another male writer I like is Stuart Woods.......most of the time his main character is Stone Barrington... Years ago, a woman/customer in Borders turned me on to him...

I'm so pathetic......have you ever bought a book that you already read? I have...... Sometimes they all start running together and I can't remember if I have read it...... I always read the back cover, glance through the first chapter and kinda thumb through it, but still, I sometimes buy it and realize my mistake after I get it home......luckily, they take them back if they aren't all bent, etc....

Books, even paperbacks, are getting so expensive.....I need to find a good yard sale...... I don't mind a used book......I only read it once anyway......

I have several hundred cook books......I won't part with those, ever.

Well, 'Walking Tall' ended their season tonight........sigh......

Old 03-19-2012, 03:14 AM

I meant 'Walking Dead'........ROFL!

Old 03-19-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Another male writer I like is Stuart Woods.......most of the time his main character is Stone Barrington...

have you ever bought a book that you already read?

Yes, I have all of Stuart woods' stuff too.

LAWRENCE BLOCK is another great author. Check out his books (after you buy some Westlakes) if you havent already. Some of Block's stuff is kinda dark (EIGHT MILLION WAYS TO DIE) but excellent. His BURGLAR series, featuring something-always-goes-wrong-burglar Bernie Rhodenbarr (THE BURGLAR IN THE CLOSET, BURGLARS CANT BE CHOOSERS, etc), is quite funny and entertaining.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
................ hope the hangover isn't too bad tomorrow.
The hoping part didn't work. I felt like crap all day yesterday. I think this will be the last time I will ever drink beer again. It just didn't do well at all.

HAPPY MONDAY!

Can't wait to hear what all my daughter says when she quits at the end of the shift this morning. Unlike myself, she is liable to tell them all what they can do with themselves in front of the entire staff. Of course, I'll have to face all those same people when I go in at 1 PM. It could be an interesting day. (No, she didn't bake them any chocolate pies............)

I'm running behind with posting, so I better get to it.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:17 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
We are really having lots of Star Parties lately!

Please stop by ketabcha's!!!

//www.city-data.com/forum/commu...-ketabcha.html

Congratulations to our most wonderful friend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff