Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 08:34 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
What in the heck is a flat stanley? Did you guys already tell me a few weeks ago?
I had never heard of it either.
Here is the website about the concept:
Flat Stanley: Flat Stanley | A Literacy and Community Building Project for Kids

Camper sent one for my grandson. We are saving it for when
we go to Harry Potter @ Universal. Then we are sending the picture to the
above site.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:37 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,524,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I had never heard of it either.
Here is the website about the concept:
Flat Stanley: Flat Stanley | A Literacy and Community Building Project for Kids

Camper sent one for my grandson. We are saving it for when
we go to Harry Potter @ Universal. Then we are sending the picture to the
above site.
So it's geography lessons for kids? They make characters that travel to places with them and then they post it?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
Quote:
So it's geography lessons for kids? They make characters that travel to places with them and then they post it?
Flat Stanley is about adventures !!!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
This started long before the internet.

Camper, what did kids used to do with the pictures?

Odd that only you guys from Texas knew about Stanley as kids.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:03 AM

Happy Thursday!!

My daughter is thrilled because they finally paid her the vacation time she had accrued at work from LAST year. Since she didn't give a 2 week
notice, they didn't pay her. She was hired immediately from the new place and had no choice. Normally, she would've worked the last 2 weeks.

Since I still work there...I made a big deal about this because it wasn't vacation pay from this year, she had already earned it based on last year.
The time is based on how many hours your worked, the amount paid is based on your average dollar per hour you earned. So, how can they NOT pay you if you quit the next year?

In Florida you can't do anything about stuff like this because our labor laws are very lax. But they aren't lax in Illinois....and my W2 clearly shows we work for an Illinois company. So, I threatened an email to Chicago. I mean, how would they look stealing earned vacation pay from a 22 year old single mom?? Whatever I said, they did end up paying her a month later.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:11 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
This started long before the internet.

Camper, what did kids used to do with the pictures?

Odd that only you guys from Texas knew about Stanley as kids.
Not just us, most people I talked to had them as kids. Not me of course,and I'm from here , but then I'm older than Stanley.

The kids are given a white sheet of paper with a flat Stanley drawn on it and they have to cut it out and color it anyway they want. You can make clothes like a paper doll if you like. Then your supposed to mail him to someone thats out of town, state or the country. Then they take him on different adventures, maybe even sending Stanley on to someone else, taking pictures of him at famous places with the person holding him. Some have even made it to the White House. We had a photo of Bill Clinton holding one in our class . Some have been returned with little suitcases or back packs with different clothes that have been made or bought for him and treasures he's picked up along the way, along with the pictures that have been taken . It was cool and fun seeing where all our Stanley's had been and what they had done.... except my kiddos. All we had was my older sister and she took him to one bar.... but it was still fun sharing what they others had received.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
All we had was my older sister and she took him to one bar....
Oh gosh, I wish I had known about this during my bar days. I could've had
great fun coloring him up as a sailor.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:17 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Heck, I knew about Flat Stanley and Flat Stella when I was a kid...back when postage to send them was only 3 cents...

Still gotta get caught up on posts here.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:43 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
I had never heard of Stanley and Stella (except as characters in A Streetcar Named Desire) until y'all started talking about them.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Heck, I knew about Flat Stanley and Flat Stella when I was a kid...back when postage to send them was only 3 cents...

Still gotta get caught up on posts here.
I don't think our lives are so exciting that you missed anything.
As you can see, the only thing we are talking about is a paper doll man...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff