Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 12:15 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,867,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
......another wonderful old-age thing......forgetfulness.

Of course, that one will be too small to see without our glasses.

My daughter FINALLY got her car all legal today. First time tags/registration for young people are just so expensive.
So after 3 months of owning the car....she can now drive it on the city streets.
I'm just happy that she won't have to borrow my car any longer.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:17 AM

FRIDAY!!

Where IS everyone??

We have a new project going on at work, so I think I'll work a good
part of this weekend. This is harder for people with kids, so I'll go in.
I really don't mind working on a Saturday anyway. It's going to rain
and there is nothing else to do.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:41 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,209,732 times
I slept until 11:00 am. Have I mentioned that retirement is wonderful? The only reason I woke up is because Stella the Diva Cat was bouncing around on my torso and head demanding to be fed. The only reason I paid any attention to her is because Annie the Cat needs an insulin shot every morning.

Anyway, I have a fairly set routine when I first get up in the morning. I check CNN for breaking news. I drink a couple of cups of coffee while playing a Hidden Objects game on the computer. I have to take a lot of pills in the morning so I sit here and every time I clear one of the game screens I pop a pill and drink coffee.

I then play a game of "Trivial Pursuit" on pogo.com. Then I check out C-D and post a few things.
Meanwhile, amazon.com has alerted me to the Kindle deal of the day and good bets on new history books.

Oh, I also get an email from 1saleaday. This is always fun. For instance, today's deal is a designer set of broom and dustpan. I want it. It's only $8.00. Then I tell myself that I don't need it. But, I WANT it. So, I will probably get it while I am looking at the free Sweet Tea Vodka mason jar that I got free just like the rest of you. I didn't need it. But it was free and I wanted it. Thank goodness for PhoneLady. She let me know that I could use it to hold the pens on my desk. When it gets dusty I can wash it and watch the decal come off. But, I did put my pens in it and it looks way cool. People will think I tossed the lid so I could put the pens in it. I'll never tell them that it did not come with a lid.....which still bugs me but what would I do with the lid? Did I tell you I have 25 lbs of marbles that I bought on ebay. I could put marbles in it. Don't ask why I bought the marbles. I don't remember why. But I put a bunch of them in Christmas presents to make the presents heavier for my niece and nephew....okay, that is not the reason. I put them in the packages to get rid of the marbles and then my niece and nephew try to give them back to me saying things like "Aunt Di, you've lost your marbles."

Okay, that's all for now. Time to finish watching the news and then reading for a bit. I love my life.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:27 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,283,869 times
I love your life too, Ketabcha!

I also love retirement -- or, at least, I will, when my health issues have all been resolved. And, after 45 years of hard work, I dont feel guilty at all about enjoying not having to answer to any bosses or any darned alarm clocks.

I've been trying to keep up with the star parties because it meant so much to me when people (even people whom I didnt know) would congratulate me on my stars. I havent had the energy for much else on the computer -- my blood tests arent cooperating for me to have the surgery yet but at least the gout attacks seem to be under control for now. So I hope to be back posting regularly soon.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:39 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,283,869 times
I was actually able to go to the grocery store late yesterday afternoon -- for just a few bags of fruit. There was a very nice black lady in line behind me and I noticed her offering to let other people who had just a few items cut in front of her in line.

I often see people let someone ahead of them when asked. But I've never seen anyone just offer to let 3-4 people cut in front of her. So, after I'd checked out, I handed that lady a bag full of cherries and strawberries -- and told her to have a nice day. The astonished smile on her face was priceless.

It made me feel so good when I did that to a little old lady a few weeks ago. And it made me feel even better yesterday.

But the short trip really wore me out. I'm still tired and hurting from it today.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:48 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,488,074 times
Hi Everybody.....

I got out early and trimmed rose bushes today.....did it in my big sleeping shirt with the huge frog on the front that says 'Hop Into Bed'.....too bad I don't make rose hip jam.....it's really good! I had my first in Switzerland years ago....and have since bought it on occasion in the USA. The pony is learning to drink from a hose.....in fact, he THINKS that is the purpose of the hose....I still have to put hoses away because I don't trust him.

We've sold a couple of leftovers from the yard sale on craigs......the money is going into the pot to try and get the new ipad fixed...every penny counts...I don't want her to spend any of her graduation gift money on this so I have tried really hard to make a few bucks for her.....poor kid......what a freak accident......

I need to clean house.....I don't want to, so instead, I am wasting a bit of time on here and facebook...where is that little cleaning fairy when I need her.......sigh

Found out my good friend's husband (in Long Beach, CA.) has pancreatic cancer yesterday......it was not the best day..... In fact, it was a bad day.....

CO. has been HOT! REALLY HOT! (I feel so bad for the firemen.) The kid and I had to go to Longmont yesterday, (closer to Denver).....it was 101 on my car temp thingie. (It wasn't even THAT hot here last August!!!) When we got back to this area, it was 100 and then 99 and then 100 again. It is breezy right now, but it's going to be hot again.. The pony has snuck (I don't think snuck is a word, but not sure, and I'm too lazy to look it up), down into the basement, where it is cool....he thinks I don't know he's down there but I do....husband left the door open when he left....

The smoke was bad yesterday......not at the house, but in the distance...... Quite a few more people have been evacuated..... When you are on I-25, (the freeway here), those electronic signs that normally tell you when a child has been kidnapped or a bad wreck ahead, etc., were telling evacuees what exits to take, (Red Cross shelters, etc). It's so sad to see this......

My husband's new glasses did not lose a screw....the head broke off and they fell apart, (all I could think of, 'did this company buy screws from China'?-- because it seems like some type of major machinery has been in the news where it fell apart and killed people because the giant screws were faulty and made in China---my good friend was born in Hong Kong and will NOT buy an item if it says Made in China), and I had a helluva time getting the broken screw out and then I couldn't fix them with another screw, (tried for over an hour), so we went to the glass place at the mall....the lady said they have all kinds of gizmos to get broken screws out so do not hesitate next time, (I guess mini-mini-crescent wrenches, I dunno)....I told her that I did NOT expect to be going to the glass store on a Friday night so that is why I tried to fix them myself....she said they replace broken screws quite often, so no big deal.....and they replace them with heavy-duty screws, not the crap that comes with the glasses. These are not cheap glasses either, so it ticks me off. ANYWAY, in some empty storefronts on the outside of the mall there are evacuation centers where people donate items......it's all free......clothing, etc......all you have to do is show up, find something that fits, etc....... I haven't donated anything this time, (been there and done that in CA.), but I did buy a nice gift card for the people who lost their house in my development a couple of weeks ago..... I've been through this before in CA., and losing everything you own in a fire is devastating... I always donate quite a few of the leftovers after our yard sales..(I hauled a HUGE box out to the road for charity pick up early yesterday that weighed over 50 lbs.....thought I was never going to get it out there!!!!).....and I bought a bunch of toothpaste and toothbrushes recently and donated them at a church, (the lady barely said thank you and almost shut the door in my face so I won't be donating there anymore), so I do donate, but just not to the evacuation center... Also, a lot of restaurants are donating a portion of proceeds on certain nights so we ate at a couple of them.... The Fort Collins area is really good in trying to help out its own and I'm glad to see it...... I may donate some stuff at the evacuation center....I didn't even know it was there until we went to the glass store.....

Okay, no cleaning fairy, so gotta get off...... Have a good day, all.....

Old 06-23-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I was actually able to go to the grocery store late yesterday afternoon -- for just a few bags of fruit. There was a very nice black lady in line behind me and I noticed her offering to let other people who had just a few items cut in front of her in line.

I often see people let someone ahead of them when asked. But I've never seen anyone just offer to let 3-4 people cut in front of her. So, after I'd checked out, I handed that lady a bag full of cherries and strawberries -- and told her to have a nice day. The astonished smile on her face was priceless.

It made me feel so good when I did that to a little old lady a few weeks ago. And it made me feel even better yesterday.

But the short trip really wore me out. I'm still tired and hurting from it today.
BIG HUGS TO YOU, TFW! I sometimes let people go in front of me, but just one.....and sometimes, people let me go in front of them......I say thank you......

Old 06-24-2012, 06:55 AM

Happy Sunday to the Freebie Gang!

I worked yesterday, then went out to dinner with some friends. After I got home, I watched the rest of
season 4 of Mad Men on Netflix and went to bed. I have GOT to quit watching entire TV series on Netflix.
For some reason, once I start....it becomes impossible for me to stop until I've watched them all.

TFW....so glad you at least felt like getting out and doing a little shopping! I'll be so glad when the surgery
is all over and you are back to your old self. I sure do miss you around here.

Wurzig.....hard to believe they still haven't gotten those fires under control. The fire fighters must be
getting exhausted and the residents are probably nervous wrecks.

I guess I better get to posting..................

Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 AM

There are 6-7 fires right now......CO. is dry, dry, dry. We are having record-breaking temps..... It will get over 100 at my house today.... We can't see the Rockies at all today (from our house), and they are close.

We saw flames from our house last night.....(we live by the biggest fire, going on 3 weeks now).....just learned they were 200 feet high.. 1,900 ground crew are fighting that one....just saw a live feed.....they are carrying heavy equipment up mountains (on foot), and build firebreaks......they work 2 hours on and 1 off..... Lots of houses lost......so far, count is 191, but there are more......

21 (??)---I'm seeing/hearing too many numbers.......burned to the ground yesterday in Estes Park......Estes is the cute (touristy, weekend-getaway), town right at the entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park..

There is a fire near 4 corners, right by Mesa Verde National Park...

They were evacuating an area of CO. Springs yesterday...

Old 06-24-2012, 12:15 PM

There are now 8 fires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff