Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 02:36 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times

Advertisements

I decided to go outside and plant some gorgeous huge Futura Superbas (aka Snake plants) that I bought on eBay in some of my patio urns. The predicted rain wasnt supposed to arrive until late this afternoon.

The very minute I dragged the 25-pound bag of potting soil out to the patio and carried the plants (which are heavy) out there too, the skies opened up. I was so happy for the rain that I didnt even go inside. I planted one of the urns in the rain. Then, as soon as I did go back inside and change into dry clothes, the rain stopped. Now I'm out of the mood to plant the other urns.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:39 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I decided to go outside and plant some gorgeous huge Futura Superbas (aka Snake plants) that I bought on eBay in some of my patio urns. The predicted rain wasnt supposed to arrive until late this afternoon.

The very minute I dragged the 25-pound bag of potting soil out to the patio and carried the plants (which are heavy) out there too, the skies opened up. I was so happy for the rain that I didnt even go inside. I planted one of the urns in the rain. Then, as soon as I did go back inside and change into dry clothes, the rain stopped. Now I'm out of the mood to plant the other urns.
Lol!!!! Go plant more plants silly girl!!!

I want to get some stuff planted to. I still have the house plants I got when my mom past away in Sept to replant. Just can't bring myself to do but don't want to loose them either.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I've got some heirloom flower seeds....a lot of them and potting soil but I'm not going to plant them just yet. We will probably have some sleet in these parts tomorrow and Thursday. It's too early to plant. I want to start them in nursery cups and then transplant once they have roots but I can't do that in the house because I'm afrain Annie and Tammy (the cats) will eat them....or maybe I will. LOL

TFW46, that plant is also called a Mother-in-laws Tongue. It's one of my favorite plants.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:27 AM

Hi, Ketabcha! I had read, years ago, that the plant is called Mother-in-law's Tongue because, if the leaves get into the mouth, they'll cause paralysis of the tongue and vocal cords.

It's amazing how different the weather is between Dallas and Houston. Stay warm!

Camper, I know how it is when you need to do something (like replanting your mother's house plants) but you dont feel up to it, emotionally. I hope that you can find memories to enjoy when you do finally replant them.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 AM

I have tried several times to start new plants from seeds in the house in the little white cups with no luck. I really think it's something in my blood. Mom could grow anything and I cant grow anything.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 AM

Camper, I cant grow plants from seeds either. And even rooted plants never did well around me.

I finally bought firesticks, which thrive on being ignored, and other succulents. I have dozens of them in my garden windows and throughout the house - also on the patio -- and they've been flourishing for years now. What I like the best is that I water the indoor plants only once a year and never have to water the outdoor plants.

Here's what the firesticks look like inside:

And here's what they look like when they've been exposed to the sun a little (I put the inside plants out in the sun every so often so they'll turn a little red. The ones on the patio are bright red all over):

Old 02-20-2013, 10:58 AM

How pretty!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:17 PM

Thanks, Camper. I love firesticks. They're such strong plants. They have to be covered or brought in when the temps get below freezing for an extended period of time but that's the only care they need. They dont like being watered so the drought is great for them.

I have at least 24-30 of them inside and out. You should see the ones that are on the patio. They're such a pretty red all over. One of these days I'll take a photo and post it.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Thanks, Camper. I love firesticks. They're such strong plants. They have to be covered or brought in when the temps get below freezing for an extended period of time but that's the only care they need. They dont like being watered so the drought is great for them.

I have at least 24-30 of them inside and out. You should see the ones that are on the patio. They're such a pretty red all over. One of these days I'll take a photo and post it.
I'll have to be sure and look for some!

Old 02-20-2013, 01:48 PM

I bought all of my firesticks (and all my other plants) on eBay. eBay and Amazon are where I buy almost everything. I even have more potting soil -- and Mounds and Almond Joy candies -- being delivered from Amazon today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff