Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,803,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Thanks so much, Camper and Ketabcha.

Ketabcha, I had to laugh about the cold weather giving you an excuse not to plant your garden. The low temps here on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights are predicted to be 46, 41 and 46 -- not near freezing at all, but cool enough that Queenie and I can be very comfortable on our afternoon walks.
Glad Queenie is doing good!

Last edited by bobrainman; 04-16-2013 at 08:36 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 11:55 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,526,997 times
Quote:
Thanks to YOU, dear Bob!

I'm finally recovering from my 8 days away from the computer.

The medication that Queenie's been on for her congestive heart failure seems to be working. The veterinarian reminded me that the med wont save her life -- she's still going to die tomorrow or next week or next month or so -- but it will improve the quality of her life. And that's all I ask.

I can see definite improvement already. Before she was on the med, I'd take her out to the schoolyard and she'd trot for 1 minute before tiring and asking to go back to the car. Now she runs for 5-6 minutes. And her appetite has improved dramatically.

I like taking her out to the schoolyard because free-running is good for the muscles. But I've also started taking her to a park/walking path one block away, where we can walk (with her on leash) so both she and I can get more exercise.

My dearest dog (before Queenie) stood up in bed next to me one morning (in 1994) and fell over dead from a heart attack. That was so traumatic that it took me a year to recover. But I've had other dogs die from long, drawn-out cancer after having multiple surgeries to remove a foot, an eye and internal organs. Dying suddenly of a heart attack is a much better option for the dog.

I know some people dont understand how I can get so attached to my dogs. But, when you live alone and are somewhat introverted, the companionship of a dog (and seeing that little tail wag at the sight of you) means so much.
I'm sorry to hear about Queenie, but glad she seems to be more comfortable.

My sister is going through terminal cancer with her 8-year-old black lab......she has been such a good, loyal dog. It's very hard on the whole family.

I am very attached to The Pony......he is my best friend in Colorado. He is attached to the other two but he is super-attached to me, which I knew he would be because I am here more than the others.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,526,997 times
We have been getting a LOT of snow......over a foot during the last two days. We will get several more inches tomorrow and then the weekend will be in the 50's. (I have been taking a lot of Tylenol, so you know what I have been doing....shovel, shovel, shovel....) Many of the famous ski resorts closed for the season last weekend but they are reopening for the next week or two because the snow is so good right now.

I haven't even ordered a freebie for at least two weeks......what's wrong with me? I need to get with the program again......I love trying out new things.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:27 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,996,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
We have been getting a LOT of snow......over a foot during the last two days. We will get several more inches tomorrow and then the weekend will be in the 50's. (I have been taking a lot of Tylenol, so you know what I have been doing....shovel, shovel, shovel....) Many of the famous ski resorts closed for the season last weekend but they are reopening for the next week or two because the snow is so good right now.

I haven't even ordered a freebie for at least two weeks......what's wrong with me? I need to get with the program again......I love trying out new things.
I cant even imagine snow right now. Been running the ac for the last few days. It may just well be on the the season now.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:28 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
I cant even imagine snow right now. Been running the ac for the last few days. It may just well be on the the season now.
I've been running the AC, too, Camper. It's on right now. Tonight they are saying storms are coming in (yeah, right) with very cool temps.

We'll see.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I've been running the AC, too, Camper. It's on right now. Tonight they are saying storms are coming in (yeah, right) with very cool temps.

We'll see.
Maybe, going to plant my knock out roses tonight.

Did you hear it might get down to 30 saturday morning??!!!!

I'm telling ya. Texas = men-o- pause.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:41 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
I'm sorry to hear about Queenie, but glad she seems to be more comfortable.

My sister is going through terminal cancer with her 8-year-old black lab......she has been such a good, loyal dog. It's very hard on the whole family.

I am very attached to The Pony......he is my best friend in Colorado. He is attached to the other two but he is super-attached to me, which I knew he would be because I am here more than the others.

Thanks so much, Wurzig. I'm so sorry about your sister's Lab. For some reason, retrievers are especially susceptible to cancer. I've lost three dobermans to cancer so I know what she's going through.

And I'm sure The Pony (isnt he a Horse yet? ) is so attached to you because he senses a connection with you, not just because you're home more than the others. In the 25 years that I taught dog obedience, I saw many cases where the dog was very attached to someone who wasnt home that much. No one can say why dogs develop a special bond with one particular member of the family.

I had to increase the dosage of Queenie's Vetmedin (that's the name of the medication for her congestive heart failure) and she seems to be doing fine.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to start taking her on daily walks at the nearby park (in addition to taking her out to run at the local schoolyard a couple of times a week). The day always starts too soon for me so I dont usually manage to get to the park until early afternoon. But Queenie really enjoys the walks, even though I cant walk nearly so fast as she'd like. A lot of people walk their dogs there and she's so happy about seeing them.

If not for dear Queenie, I'd never go walking. It's hard on my right leg and back (because of arthritis and the stroke). But I think walking is going to be good for me. I'm not walking much yet but am increasing the number of steps daily. When summer gets here, I'll have to force myself to get out there earlier. Ugh.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Did you hear it might get down to 30 saturday morning??!!!!

I was so looking forward to that. The prediction was that we'd have a record-breaking low of 31 Saturday morning. Didnt happen. It cooled off but only into the high 40's -- and then only for a couple of hours. By 10:00 AM it was back into the 70's. Of course, in my old age, I dont care for 30-40 degree weather anymore -- but I was hoping that it would get that cold so the daytime temps would stay in the 60's.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
I was so looking forward to that. The prediction was that we'd have a record-breaking low of 31 Saturday morning. Didnt happen. It cooled off but only into the high 40's -- and then only for a couple of hours. By 10:00 AM it was back into the 70's. Of course, in my old age, I dont care for 30-40 degree weather anymore -- but I was hoping that it would get that cold so the daytime temps would stay in the 60's.
We have just been having the greatest weather here! Other than no rain, it's been perfect. Killing me to not go camping, but getting hubby to do some great yard work and planting a few new trees. Looks like another few days with no need for the a/c.

This is why we live here.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
We have just been having the greatest weather here! Other than no rain, it's been perfect. Killing me to not go camping, but getting hubby to do some great yard work and planting a few new trees. Looks like another few days with no need for the a/c.

This is why we live here.

I agree about the weather! I've had to use my a/c for only one day this year -- and that was for only a couple of hours, off and on. I'm sure it is killing you not to go camping.

However, the weather isnt why I live here. In my 20's and 30's I kept moving away but always came back because this is where I could make the best living in the oil/gas industry. I truly love Seattle (I lived there in the 1970's) but I retired here because Seattle is just too darned expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff