Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 05:46 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times

Advertisements

Yikes.

I have a walmart.com account. I hadnt logged in to it since last April -- but I logged in early this morning to buy a $12.00 item.

Imagine my surprise to find a $2,600.00 computer in my Shopping Cart and a newly-added shipping address for Portland, OR.

Luckily, the computer had not yet been shipped. I was able to cancel the order and delete the fraudently-added shipping address. I also deleted all my credit card info and changed my password. Then I sent an email to walmart.com to close my online account immediately.

I also looked up that Portland, OR address on the county property tax records and, with additional googling, learned that the 80-year-old owner of that house died last March. I notified the property tax records division of her death -- and also of the fraud on my walmart.com account (not that they can do anything about it -- but just so they know).

Since I caught the fraudulent order before it was shipped, the police would say no crime was committed.

I have a LOT of online accounts that I havent used in a long time. I guess I need to check all of them and change all those passwords.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:47 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
That was a terrible situation, TFW.
I'm glad you caught it quickly and took all the steps you did to protect yourself as well as others.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:27 PM

I agree I was just lucky to have logged in at the right time. The computer was set to be shipped next week.

Although the hacker and would-be thief wasnt able to steal from my account, I'm sure he's done it (or tried to do it) from other walmart.com accounts. So I am going to report it to the Houston police and the Portland police.

I also advised walmart.com that they should check their IT records to see if that address has been added to anyone else's account. My password is such a difficult combination of letters and numbers that it's very unlikely some hacker just lucked into finding it. I suspect that someone in walmart.com's IT or Security Dept was in on this deal.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:17 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfw46 View Post
yikes.

I have a walmart.com account. I hadnt logged in to it since last april -- but i logged in early this morning to buy a $12.00 item.

Imagine my surprise to find a $2,600.00 computer in my shopping cart and a newly-added shipping address for portland, or.

Luckily, the computer had not yet been shipped. I was able to cancel the order and delete the fraudently-added shipping address. I also deleted all my credit card info and changed my password. Then i sent an email to walmart.com to close my online account immediately.

I also looked up that portland, or address on the county property tax records and, with additional googling, learned that the 80-year-old owner of that house died last march. I notified the property tax records division of her death -- and also of the fraud on my walmart.com account (not that they can do anything about it -- but just so they know).

Since i caught the fraudulent order before it was shipped, the police would say no crime was committed.

I have a lot of online accounts that i havent used in a long time. I guess i need to check all of them and change all those passwords.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:23 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,998,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Yikes.

I have a walmart.com account. I hadnt logged in to it since last April -- but I logged in early this morning to buy a $12.00 item.

Imagine my surprise to find a $2,600.00 computer in my Shopping Cart and a newly-added shipping address for Portland, OR.

Luckily, the computer had not yet been shipped. I was able to cancel the order and delete the fraudently-added shipping address. I also deleted all my credit card info and changed my password. Then I sent an email to walmart.com to close my online account immediately.

I also looked up that Portland, OR address on the county property tax records and, with additional googling, learned that the 80-year-old owner of that house died last March. I notified the property tax records division of her death -- and also of the fraud on my walmart.com account (not that they can do anything about it -- but just so they know).

Since I caught the fraudulent order before it was shipped, the police would say no crime was committed.

I have a LOT of online accounts that I havent used in a long time. I guess I need to check all of them and change all those passwords.
I've had Walmart.com call me before because there was suspicious activity on my account. I only shop there every now and then but somehow they noticed something was up. It was also a computer. My credit card was already charged but they had the transaction reversed and my money was refunded quickly. I have removed all my information and closed the visa but it actually makes me more comfortable shopping there now.

Good thing your so quick TFW!!!

I know I read somewhere about your sprinkler system. Sorry it didn't work out.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 PM

I've been hanging some of my photos today. Instead of just having the photos enlarged and framed, I had them blown up to 20"x30" and then cut them up into multiple parts (called polyptychs). I made several diptychs (framed 2-part photos), tryptychs (3-part) and quadtychs (4--part). I think they make interesting arrangements.

Here's a diptych that I just made and hung up in my hallway. I really wanted to make it a tryptych but the wall area there isnt wide enough. I saved the remainder of the 20"x30" enlargement, however, so I can add the 3rd (and maybe even a 4th) piece if I can find a more suitable place.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I've been hanging some of my photos today. Instead of just having the photos enlarged and framed, I had them blown up to 20"x30" and then cut them up into multiple parts (called polyptychs). I made several diptychs (framed 2-part photos), tryptychs (3-part) and quadtychs (4--part). I think they make interesting arrangements.

Here's a diptych that I just made and hung up in my hallway. I really wanted to make it a tryptych but the wall area there isnt wide enough. I saved the remainder of the 20"x30" enlargement, however, so I can add the 3rd (and maybe even a 4th) piece if I can find a more suitable place.

How pretty!! I just have no imagination when it comes to decorating. I found some beautiful frames on clearance years ago and hung them over the couch. large in the middle, two smaller on the sides. well, as tIme went on I never did put anything in them and they are still hanging there. Funny part is they still have the picture that came with them . It's a lady and 3 girls. I tell people it's my sister and her daughters. everyone knows my sister has two sons!

Old 07-24-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
... It's a lady and 3 girls. I tell people it's my sister and her daughters. everyone knows my sister has two sons!

LOL! Camper, you have a LOT of imagination if you can say that with a straight face.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
LOL! Camper, you have a LOT of imagination if you can say that with a straight face.
Every year!!!!

Old 07-24-2013, 01:54 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,806,214 times
Nice pictures TFW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff