Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 04:03 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,535,541 times

Advertisements

Well, we always get nervous and think the worst. Maybe she just went to see her folks and forgot her puter again....it could be something that simple.

I saw tiny watermelons and cantaloupes on my vines last night.....they are so cute!

We had a nice thunderstorm come through today....of course it dries up in 10 minutes, but at least it makes the field a little greener......

Think positive thoughts.....we all disappear on here every once and awhile......

Keta, was it a cell number? If it is a house phone, did you key it in online and see if anything pops up?

Old 07-26-2012, 09:05 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,019,232 times
I posted in the Community chat and some people thing she is just taking a break. Lets hope she comes home soon.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:21 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,453,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
I posted in the Community chat and some people thing she is just taking a break. Lets hope she comes home soon.

Whew! It's good to know that she's probably just "on a break" (remember that phrase from the "Friends" TV show where Ross went on a date because he and Rachel were "on a break"?). Thanks, Camper!

Old 07-26-2012, 07:11 PM

Just need to let off some steam...

Old 07-30-2012, 08:34 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,342,891 times
It's so hot here but I see that it has been even hotter in parts of the US that usually don't have to deal with temps that high.

I'm thinking back to the time when I was a kid and most folks did not have AC in their homes and certainly not in their cars. How did we deal with that?

Some people slept on screened in back porches. My grandmother had a swamp cooler and I can still feel the humidity and the unusual smell from that contraption.

So, let's all stay cool.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:30 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,453,950 times
Ketabcha, I remember Houston before we had a/c. We moved here in 1953 and didnt get window a/c units until 1957. Houses were built for breezes and we had an attic fan that provided plenty. In those days people could leave their windows open all night long.

We wore cotton clothing, which required ironing but was quite comfortable. I dont think polyester had been invented in the 1950's.

Schools werent a/c either, of course, but they were much smaller and all single-story -- not the huge multi-story mega-complexes that you see now -- and each classroom had a wall of windows that opened to let in the breezes.

Downtown buildings (office and hotels) were multi-story but designed so all rooms had windows that opened and had fans.

I dont recall ever being really uncomfortable before a/c -- except when we went on long road trips. But it was not nearly so hot back then as it is now. With global warming and all the buildings (both residential and commercial) and streets and other heat-reflecting objects, it's not only much hotter now, but it feels much hotter too.

I bought this house in 1980 and, before I had some remodeling done in 2007, I never had ceiling fans. I didnt want them and had to be talked into getting them by my handyman. Now I have 52" fans in every room (except the bathrooms) and am amazed at how much cooler I feel with them running at high speed. Before the fans, I had to set my a/c at 70-72 -- but now I can set it at 80 and be very comfortable.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:28 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,342,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Ketabcha, I remember Houston before we had a/c. We moved here in 1953 and didnt get window a/c units until 1957. Houses were built for breezes and we had an attic fan that provided plenty. In those days people could leave their windows open all night long.

We wore cotton clothing, which required ironing but was quite comfortable. I dont think polyester had been invented in the 1950's.

Schools werent a/c either, of course, but they were much smaller and all single-story -- not the huge multi-story mega-complexes that you see now -- and each classroom had a wall of windows that opened to let in the breezes.

Downtown buildings (office and hotels) were multi-story but designed so all rooms had windows that opened and had fans.

I dont recall ever being really uncomfortable before a/c -- except when we went on long road trips. But it was not nearly so hot back then as it is now. With global warming and all the buildings (both residential and commercial) and streets and other heat-reflecting objects, it's not only much hotter now, but it feels much hotter too.

I bought this house in 1980 and, before I had some remodeling done in 2007, I never had ceiling fans. I didnt want them and had to be talked into getting them by my handyman. Now I have 52" fans in every room (except the bathrooms) and am amazed at how much cooler I feel with them running at high speed. Before the fans, I had to set my a/c at 70-72 -- but now I can set it at 80 and be very comfortable.
Oh, yeah, bless the ceiling fans. I had this house built in 1978 and I put ceiling fans in all rooms except the dining room and bathrooms. They are amazing. Mine go 24/7 all year round. I just switch direction in the winter. It really is amazing the difference they make.

When we were transferred back from Hawaii in the late 50s my father bought a new car with an air conditioner. I think that is the first time I experienced AC in a car. It was nice.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:17 PM

My parents didn't get air conditioning or carpet until I graduated high school...1973!!!

When hubby and I built our house in 1991 we put ceiling fans in everywhere! Even put two in the living room. I love that Idea, sometimes I don't want a fan on and someone else does.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:49 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,535,541 times
Hope all are doing well. We've had a few light thunderstorms which have kept the heat down, kinda, sorta. The 'pony' and I gardened in the rain yesterday. There was lightning over the mountains but not here. It's cool this morning, rather pleasant. It'll get up to at least 90 today though.

I love to see lightning at night, what a show Mother Nature puts on for us! There was a lot of it over the Estes Park area last night.

The garden is producing like mad now! I should open up a fruit stand. The watermelon plants are taking over and trying to choke out the bell peppers. I have little watermelons and cantaloupes now.....the watermelons are oblong but the cantaloupes look like mini soccer balls. There are tiny toads everywhere--they are so cute! I hope the birds don't get them 'cuz they eat all kinds of bugs. I heard 2 big toads talking to one another last night.

I've had a bad cold and got behind on the gardening and today is trash day so I did a LOT yesterday. I haven't had a cold for several years and this year, I've had 2, courtesy of 'him'. I told 'him' that I am going to a motel the next time he gets sick. He goes to the gym almost every day and people don't wipe down the machines as often as they should. The huge can is overflowing and I no longer have room for last minute trash from the house.

We've had 2 flat tires in the last week..(one had a drill bit in it, who knows where he got it. I guess a construction guy accidentally left some tools on a bumper before he took off from a site)...had to replace my air compressor (man, what a traumatic experience that was, but the story is for another time)...had to call AAA....and gonna have to buy a new tire for my girl's car. Her tires are in good shape, (heck, she was gone for 2 years at school and we only put about 10 miles on her car each month in order to keep the battery up plus the car is not that old), but something happened to this one, not sure as to what---no holes in the tire, etc. The tire would not reinflate after it flattened out---the beading is cracked or something. We weren't planning on buying tires for her car until October---all weather so that she can drive in some snow. Oh well, life has curves.

A rock flew up and hit his windshiled a week or so ago, too, so that is on the list to get replaced. So that makes 2 for us this year.

We had house guests over the weekend--friends from California who had been in Steamboat Springs for an annual cattle drive. Needless to say they are horse people. They have a 2nd house down in the Baja area and keep their horses down there. They are right by the ocean and take the horses on the beach.

Have a good day everybody. Try to stay cool and hydrated.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:56 AM

Morning everyone! Late start today. I entered rehab again yesterday!! Back to physical therapy for awhile. Oh, the joy. See if it's to late to do something about my shoulder again. Wish me luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff