Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,806,214 times

Advertisements

Today’s top rated books:
Drama/fictionThriller/Mystery/ActionScience FictionCooking/FoodReligionRomanceFantasyHistoryBiographies/MemoirsBusinessHumorOtherGraphic NovelsChildren’s/TeenHorror
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 01:10 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Is there any way to know which books (especially novels) are self-published? Whenever I have downloaded a free book that was self-published, it has been God-awful. Democracy in publishing sounds good in theory but in practice it doesn't seem to work too well (for fiction at least).

Old 06-26-2013, 01:17 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,806,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Is there any way to know which books (especially novels) are self-published? Whenever I have downloaded a free book that was self-published, it has been God-awful. Democracy in publishing sounds good in theory but in practice it doesn't seem to work too well (for fiction at least).
I don't know of any way to download self published books.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:28 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrainman View Post
I don't know of any way to download self published books.
They are downloaded the same way, Bob.

Karen, there are some very well edited self-published books at amazon.com. There is one author, Jerry D. Taylor, who writes fiction about folks prepping for hard times and his books are well written. They are also short and cheap.

The way I can tell if the book is edited well is by reading the reviews. Poor grammar and misused words drive a lot of readers insane. The reviewers cut no slack when reviewing the books.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:39 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
They are downloaded the same way, Bob.

Karen, there are some very well edited self-published books at amazon.com. There is one author, Jerry D. Taylor, who writes fiction about folks prepping for hard times and his books are well written. They are also short and cheap.

The way I can tell if the book is edited well is by reading the reviews. Poor grammar and misused words drive a lot of readers insane. The reviewers cut no slack when reviewing the books.
Thanks for the reply! I am always looking for new authors so will take a look at the one you mentioned. The few self-published books I've downloaded from amazon have just been SO awful that I basically decided "never again" ... but I'll try!

And to the OP: a bunch of Kindle books are self-published but it's not always easy to tell. I've had better luck with nonfiction (e.g. cookbooks) than fiction.

=====

ETA: just checked amazon under Kindle and there was nothing under "Jerry D. Taylor" ... is that definitely the correct name?

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 06-26-2013 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: extra info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff