Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 08:15 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times

Advertisements

So sorry about the A/C, Camper, and really sorry about the washer. If I recall, it was a top-loader, right? What kind are you going to get now?

Lulu is feeling a lot better. I havent seen her pass the Nylabone yet but there are a lot of hedges in my back yard into which I cant see -- she goes into them and she may have done that to pass the Nylabone. I'm taking her in for more xrays this week, just to make sure and also to see if it damaged her intestines.

She's so cute about some things. I mentioned that, whenever I come home and take off my shoes, she picks one up and carries them to her dog bed and cuddles up to it. Today I went to the grocery store and, when I got home, she took one shoe to her dog bed in the computer room and the other one to her dog bed in my bedroom. She doesn’t chew them -- just snuggles up to them. My favorite dog before Queenie used to do that, so it's not only sweet but it also brings back wonderful memories.

Last edited by TFW46; 03-21-2016 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Edited to add info

Old 03-22-2016, 07:41 AM

Camper, I just read something that might help you with the wrinkling caused by your washer. It may be too late if you've already returned it but, if not:

"All you have to do is throw a few ice cubes in the dryer with your clothes and they come out wrinkle free! It acts kind of like a steam setting would on a fancy steaming dryer. I have heard that adding a lint-free damp cloth in the dryer with a wrinkled garment will also do the trick."

Old 03-22-2016, 11:05 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
So glad to hear Lulu is doing better. So hard when our babies aren't well.

AC is fixed, money well spent in Texas but then this cold front blew in and we have had two freezes. Brought in all my plants from outside but most of the stuff coming up from the ground got zapped. It will all recover but dang Mother Nature... you let them come up!!

Got my new new washer yesterday,LG). It plays the cutest tune when it's done! I keep thinking its my cell phone ringing. Have washed about everything in the house just trying out the different cycles. A load of his work jeans takes one hour and 30 minutes!! Won't be using the cycle very often. Think I have settled in on normal for most stuff and delicate for my t shirts and blouses. They didn't seem to be near as wrinkled. Still takes about 45 minutes but uses less water. This thing us huge inside!! I'm not a small person ( 5'8') but omg, I dropped the lid to something inside and had to get a step stool to get it out.

I just don't like the new appliances at all. Not really pleased with the fridge ( about a year ago) the new freezer ( maybe 6 months) and now the washer. But I do still love my dryer ( maybe 2 years ago?) Just bought my daughter a fridge for their new house ( move in April 1st) Hope she likes it. I am soooo tired of spending money. It's not as much fun as it used to be. Getting old I guess.

On another note, finally bought a tree for my brother that past away and was cremated. Hubby planted it yesterday and we did a tribute to him and gave him his final beer. Planted a Mexican Sycamore. Seems to be the best rated and liked for our area. Doesn't look like much now but will grow any were from 3- 6 ft this year alone. Thing could get to be as high as 100 feet!! Probably not and defiantly not in my life time. This was my first time doing anything like this and hope it's my last. Was much harder than I thought.

Rest well Bob. I love you.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
...Rest well Bob. I love you.

I'm running late for errands so will address the rest of your post later, Camper, but this caught my eye -- and I couldnt let it pass. Did I miss a post? Is Bob ok?

Old 03-22-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I'm running late for errands so will address the rest of your post later, Camper, but this caught my eye -- and I couldnt let it pass. Did I miss a post? Is Bob ok?
My brother Bob, not our Bob from here.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:24 AM

Camper, I didnt like the fact that my front-loader takes over an hour to do a load. Then, after about 6 years, I looked at the options (on the front of the machine) and found there's a short-wash cycle that reduces the time to 25 minutes. Duh. That's what I use now for most loads.

Not much new here. Lulu is finally starting to realize that she has a forever home. She was in rescue for 14 months, most of which time was spent being boarded in a vet clinic (where she was confined to a small crate except for twice-daily walks to poop/pee), so I'm sure that, for a while, she enjoyed being here but didnt expect to stay.

She's started barking at me when she wants to eat or be let out -- just one bark, exactly like Queenie used to do. I love it but I'm trying to figure out if I want to go to the trouble of letting her bark inside the house while teaching her not to bark in the back yard.

Unlike Queenie, who never barked except to talk to me, Lulu is in love with her voice. I gave my neighbors a jar of treats to give her when she barks at them. That shuts her up right away but now I think she's started to bark at them just to get treats.

And she peers through the in-door blinds of my french doors (leading to the back yard), looking for the squirrel that loves to taunt her. When she sees him and I let her out, both she and he freeze -- then, after a while, she starts moving v-e-r-y slowly toward him and he waits until she's almost on him before he runs up the fence and laughs at her from up there.

I dont like to close the door on her but it's mockingbird-egglaying time and it was April of a few years ago that a mockingbird, defending its nest, chased poor Queenie inside the house. Mockingbirds are aggressive and that bird perched on the ceiling fans and then dive-bombed me several times, causing me to fall back flat on the tile floor (good thing I have strong bones). After a number of comical attempts to get that darned bird outside, I had to call someone to come over and get it out of the house. While it's funny to look back on, I dont want a repeat of that episode ever again. So the back door will be closed while she's outside this month and next.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Camper, I didnt like the fact that my front-loader takes over an hour to do a load. Then, after about 6 years, I looked at the options (on the front of the machine) and found there's a short-wash cycle that reduces the time to 25 minutes. Duh. That's what I use now for most loads.

Not much new here. Lulu is finally starting to realize that she has a forever home. She was in rescue for 14 months, most of which time was spent being boarded in a vet clinic (where she was confined to a small crate except for twice-daily walks to poop/pee), so I'm sure that, for a while, she enjoyed being here but didnt expect to stay.

She's started barking at me when she wants to eat or be let out -- just one bark, exactly like Queenie used to do. I love it but I'm trying to figure out if I want to go to the trouble of letting her bark inside the house while teaching her not to bark in the back yard.

Unlike Queenie, who never barked except to talk to me, Lulu is in love with her voice. I gave my neighbors a jar of treats to give her when she barks at them. That shuts her up right away but now I think she's started to bark at them just to get treats.

And she peers through the in-door blinds of my french doors (leading to the back yard), looking for the squirrel that loves to taunt her. When she sees him and I let her out, both she and he freeze -- then, after a while, she starts moving v-e-r-y slowly toward him and he waits until she's almost on him before he runs up the fence and laughs at her from up there.

I dont like to close the door on her but it's mockingbird-egglaying time and it was April of a few years ago that a mockingbird, defending its nest, chased poor Queenie inside the house. Mockingbirds are aggressive and that bird perched on the ceiling fans and then dive-bombed me several times, causing me to fall back flat on the tile floor (good thing I have strong bones). After a number of comical attempts to get that darned bird outside, I had to call someone to come over and get it out of the house. While it's funny to look back on, I dont want a repeat of that episode ever again. So the back door will be closed while she's outside this month and next.

Sorry to laugh at your experience but I know exactly how the mocking birds can be.

The new new washer and I are getting along just fine. It seems to weight the load then adjusts the water level and time needed.
I DID discover that speed wash cycle!! 20 minutes and I cant tell a difference at all.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:29 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:

TFW, this does my heart good. Lulu is having so much fun. Isn't it great to see her true personality emerge now that she knows she is at her forever home? She's playful and so sweet. I love reading about her antics and may I also say "your antics", too?" I actually started giggling when reading your post this morning. I simply LOVE it.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:46 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
TFW - so glad she is making your home her home - hope all of you are doing well? What a wacky "spring" we've been having across the country!! So much damage to homes, cars, etc. - sad.

Sorry I haven't been on lately, I'm rather worried about my FNA of thyroid tomorrow (fine needle aspiration) - I keep trying to stop googling the medical terms from my ultrasound, but.... (it's scary). I put it off for a couple months but going tomorrow (decided I need to buck up and if it's the worst, make plans) - still waiting for Publisher's Clearing House to come, LOL (but I never get mailed anything so... not good odds

Old 04-13-2016, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the comments. Poor Lulu is terrified of thunderstorms and we had a "lulu" of a storm early this morning. She runs from the front door to the garage door, trying to find a way to get out of the house. I opened the back door (leading to the patio) for her and, of course, she wouldnt go out in the rain. (I did it just to show her that being outside was not a good idea.) Fortunately, we dont have many thunderstorms here anymore, but even just a few is a few too many for her.

I finally had to put her on Apoquel (a script medication) for her scratching and licking. Her allergies are not to food, but to grass and pollen. I tried everything, including some good suggestions from this group, but nothing worked. Now I know why the rescue group refused to take my $250 adoption fee -- because they knew how much $$$ I'd be spending on allergy care. Not nearly so much as I was spending on Queenie's heart meds but still a lot.

I was a dog trainer for 25+ years but, with my own dogs, I use the behavior-shaping method -- which usually means that I wait until the dog is so old that he/she has outgrown any bad habits. Not really, but it seems like it takes that long sometimes.

Lulu's barking less and less at the neighbors and her bark has changed from a "What are you doing over there?" to a "Where's my treat?" And she's not trying to rush the front door every time I open it anymore. But I know that, if she were to get out, I know she'd be long gone and never look back. She likes living here but she likes adventure more.

In fact, that's how the rescue group got her. She and another doberman were running loose in a neighborhood for a month when a resident there called the rescue group. They told him they couldnt pick up loose dogs, so he put both dogs into the back yard of a vacant house on the street (bless him) and the rescue group picked them up there. So I dont doubt that she'd go adventuring if she ever got out.

I got so spoiled with Queenie, who could walk by an open front door and never ever think about going out -- I know, because I left the front door and the garage door open regularly while I was in the front yard. She'd just stand there at the threshhold...she wouldnt cross a threshhold unless it was covered with a rug. When I let her out in the back yard, I always had to cover the threshhold with a rug. If I forgot, she'd bark, just once, for me to come and cover it up so she could come in. The neighbors always laughed when they saw that.

I must add that Lulu's face is so much prettier nowadays. It seems to have softened up a lot. If you looked at her, you couldnt tell that she has no front or side teeth. Because she has no teeth there, her tongue hangs out of her mouth just a little when she's sleeping. It looks so cute and puppy-like.

Flamingo, I'm praying for you today. Please let us know how the FNA of your thyroid goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff