Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 04:27 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times

Advertisements

I've had problems editing posts, using bolds/italics and giving reps all day.

Last edited by TFW46; 10-29-2013 at 04:36 PM..

Old 10-30-2013, 01:52 PM

Halfway through the year I usually go through my gift closet, organizing it and making a list of what's there. I didnt do that this year and the closet is overflowing. So today I decided to start getting ready for Christmas by separating gifts for everyone and putting them in large baskets in a spare bedroom. OMG. It's going to take me days to do that.

Every year I say I wont buy so many gifts -- and every year (usually by early-February) I break that promise. I'd really appreciate some advice on how to kick this habit. It would be so much easier to just give everyone $$$, but I remember how thrilling it was for me to be able to open gifts when I was a kid.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:12 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,989,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Halfway through the year I usually go through my gift closet, organizing it and making a list of what's there. I didnt do that this year and the closet is overflowing. So today I decided to start getting ready for Christmas by separating gifts for everyone and putting them in large baskets in a spare bedroom. OMG. It's going to take me days to do that.

Every year I say I wont buy so many gifts -- and every year (usually by early-February) I break that promise. I'd really appreciate some advice on how to kick this habit. It would be so much easier to just give everyone $$$, but I remember how thrilling it was for me to be able to open gifts when I was a kid.
You poor thing! I do remember you having this problem before! lol. I use to do the same thing on a much smaller scale when I had more disposable income. I finally just put myself on a budget and made myself pay a fine if I went over,kinda like a swear jar. In your case make yourself give up something you consider a treat every time you go over.
But on the other hand, I do agree on what a thrill it is to open a gift from someone.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:43 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,793,553 times
Quote:

There is nothing like opening a present instead of getting money.
A gift from the heart is always better than money

Last edited by bobrainman; 10-30-2013 at 05:54 PM..

Old 10-30-2013, 06:14 PM

Thanks so much, Camper and Bob. I appreciate your reinforcing my belief that kids like to open presents more than money. That's why I dont use gift bags. I buy rolls and rolls of gift wrap on eBay and use it all every season.

Last year it took me 25 hours (not straight -- over 3 days) to wrap all the gifts. By the third day, I was cursing Christmas, scotch tape and especially myself. This year I'm going to buy mucho bottles of champagne and Dailey's margaritas and see if that helps me enjoy the wrapping more.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:29 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,793,553 times
Quote:
Thanks so much, Camper and Bob. I appreciate your reinforcing my belief that kids like to open presents more than money. That's why I dont use gift bags. I buy rolls and rolls of gift wrap on eBay and use it all every season.

Last year it took me 25 hours (not straight -- over 3 days) to wrap all the gifts. By the third day, I was cursing Christmas, scotch tape and especially myself. This year I'm going to buy mucho bottles of champagne and Dailey's margaritas and see if that helps me enjoy the wrapping more.
You go Girl

Old 10-31-2013, 11:39 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
Keep buying the gifts, TFW. I know you get great joy from buying them. There is also the fact that by December you have a huge batch of presents to dole out. Start wrapping them right after Thanksgiving. That way you will not have such a huge job to accomplish in such a short time.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:40 AM

LOL. Great minds think alike, Ketabcha. I'd decided to start wrapping the gifts even before Thanksgiving this year. In fact, I'm going to try to talk myself into starting that project next week -- and do an hour or so every day. I already have a case of gift wrap and a case of tape.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 AM

For the past three years Queenie's been giving out Halloween candy to the Trick-or-Treaters who knock on my door. But this year I postponed getting out to buy candy until yesterday -- and then it rained almost all day, so I never did get out.

I save all my $1 and $5 bills throughout the year and make money trees for the neighborhood kids (in addition to the other gifts I buy for them). But last night I had no candy so I passed out dollar bills. Soon I'll go to the bank and replenish my supply of Christmas dollars.

Less than a block away from my house, a 5-year-old Trick-or-Treater girl ran out into the dark street ahead of her parents and was hit/killed by a van.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:23 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
Oh no! A little 5 year old. What a tragedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.