Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 08:34 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,892,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr.R View Post
Good morning, my friends. It is hard for me even to type this, because it makes me want to cry. But I want to ask everyone I know to join me in this.
On this sad anniversary of the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary, I will repeat what I did last year: in honor of those small lives lost, my Christmas tree will stay dark.
I cannot celebrate when I know how much those families mourn.
Oh Starr. It breaks my heart to think about it too but I just cant believe that those poor innocent lovely children would want a Christmas tree to stay dark. I'm choosing to keep mine on and keep them in my heart. I know my girl would want it that way.

Hope it's ok for us to disagree on this one.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:17 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,639,363 times
Of course, Sweet Camper! I never mind when someone thinks differently than I do. I like to think I have an open mind. I think your choice is just as valid as mine. On another site I go to, someone said almost exactly the same thing you did.
But for me, it's my way of grieving with the parents.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:13 PM

So, I've been reading this book, Supershop like the Coupon Queen by Susan Samtur. You guys know how I get when I save a lot of money with coupons!
Today, I signed up for her website. :-) It's only $5 a month, and I've spent more than that on other things that *didn't* save me money.
So I wanted to let you guys know that if they have any freebies there, I'll be sure to come and post them here. Cuz I always want to share good stuff with my friends.
I just signed up today, and haven't really explored her website yet, so we will see.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:22 PM

Oh, I forgot to tell you about one of the first things I did: in the book, she says write to the companies that you like, to tell them you like their products. So this morning I wrote to Land O Lakes butter to tell them I tried their half and half for the first time in like it. Which was true, I have never had half and half before.

That was about 4 hours ago, and just now in my email I got this:
Thank you for your recent email to Land O Lakes®. Rarely does a consumer contact a company to tell them they enjoy their products,so your comments are very welcome.

At Land O Lakes®,we have a passion and commitment to bringing you high-quality choices & we thank you for taking the time out of your day to tell us how you feel. We are sending you two coupons to say thanks! Please allow up to 10 business days for delivery.

Again,thanks for your feedback. We hope you continue to enjoy our products.

Sincerely, Victoria Pichardo Consumer Response Representative

Cool, huh? :-)

Old 12-18-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Oh, I forgot to tell you about one of the first things I did: in the book, she says write to the companies that you like, to tell them you like their products. So this morning I wrote to Land O Lakes butter to tell them I tried their half and half for the first time in like it. Which was true, I have never had half and half before.

That was about 4 hours ago, and just now in my email I got this:
Thank you for your recent email to Land O Lakes®. Rarely does a consumer contact a company to tell them they enjoy their products,so your comments are very welcome.

At Land O Lakes®,we have a passion and commitment to bringing you high-quality choices & we thank you for taking the time out of your day to tell us how you feel. We are sending you two coupons to say thanks! Please allow up to 10 business days for delivery.

Again,thanks for your feedback. We hope you continue to enjoy our products.

Sincerely, Victoria Pichardo Consumer Response Representative

Cool, huh? :-)
Very cool!!! I like to call the 1-800 numbers and do the same thing either to compliment or offer suggestions like hard to open containers for people with bad hands.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:36 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,213,222 times
What a totally cool thing, Starr. I know these companies love getting positive feedback. Heck, we all like positive feedback. All humans do.

About 15 years ago a group of us were planning a "25 years in Texas" party for a friend from England. I was in charge of table decorations. We rented a big hall for this. So, I decided to have each of the tables (there were around 18 round tables that seated 8 people each) represent particular cities and towns in Texas. So, I wrote to the chamber of commerce of a bunch of towns telling them what we were doing and that we wanted something that represented their city. Could they send me something?

OMG! You wouldn't believe the things that were sent and they were all free. I got a mini Alamo from San Antonio. It was very detailed and stood about a foot high. El Paso sent strings of hot peppers both red and green. Fort Worth sent a very nice bronze rodeo belt buckle. I wrote to Blue Bell Ice Cream, too. Blue Bell is a Texas company. They sent me a box of ceramic BB containers and coupons. One town that is known for its dinosaur tracks and bones sent dinosaur footprints in resin. Houston sent a model oil derrick that was about 2 feet high. Laredo sent a big sombrero and Mexican jumping beans. Monahans sent a sand dunes display in glass. The famous sand dune park is located there. Sulphur Springs sent balloons. It's the balloon capital of Texas. These were not small blow up balloons. These were glass balloons anchored on metal stands.

I had so much fun with this. I had the things delivered to my post office box at work. My coworkers would crowd around my desk as I opened each thing I received. We all were just amazed at what was sent by so many towns and cities.

It really is amazing what folks will send to answer a call of need. Plus, the towns got a pat on the back for being "important" to us. I love this kind of thing.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Very cool!!! I like to call the 1-800 numbers and do the same thing either to compliment or offer suggestions like hard to open containers for people with bad hands.
That's a good idea, too. And with cel phone, I get the same amt' of minutes no matter where I call in the U.S.

Ketabcha, that's an amazing story! What fun that must've been. I'll keep that in mind next time we throw a party.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:42 PM

Here I am again. I know, I know, first you don't hear from me for months, then all I do is talk. Ha. Anyway, I just have to talk about this:

I'm very pleased with myself because I just got $378 worth of food for only $234. That's a savings of over 38% ! We got $144 worth of food for absolutely Free. :-)
I was at the store for about an hour and a half, and I organized the coupons & did planning for about 2 hours if you include printing the coupons from the internet. That's like making 36 dollars an hour.
I only buy things that are already on sale that I need. Almost everything on my grocery list was either on sale or I had a coupon or had both. For example, I got half a pound of sugar for $0.40. Chicken breasts were on sale, buy one get one free... And I had a coupon for each one for $1.50. So that's like getting one for free, and getting three dollars off the first one. And it only cost $6. So I got 4 pounds of chicken for $3 total.
Seriously, when I'm printing coupons, I feel like I'm printing money. :-)
I love to cook and I love to shop, & I really love it when I can save money doing them.

Last edited by Starr.R; 12-21-2013 at 03:57 PM..

Old 12-21-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Here I am again. I know, I know, first you don't hear from me for months, then all I do is talk. Ha. Anyway, I just have to talk about this:

I'm very pleased with myself because I just got $378 worth of food for only $234. That's a savings of over 38% ! We got $144 worth of food for absolutely Free. :-)
I was at the store for about an hour and a half, and I organized the coupons & did planning for about 2 hours if you include printing the coupons from the internet. That's like making 36 dollars an hour.
I only buy things that are already on sale that I need. Almost everything on my grocery list was either on sale or I had a coupon or had both. For example, I got half a pound of sugar for $0.40. Chicken breasts were on sale, buy one get one free... And I had a coupon for each one for $1.50. So that's like getting one for free, and getting three dollars off the first one. And it only cost $6. So I got 4 pounds of chicken for $3 total.
Seriously, when I'm printing coupons, I feel like I'm printing money. :-)
I love to cook and I love to shop, & I really love it when I can save money doing them.
You B the queen of free!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2013, 10:45 AM

I don't understand, why did they delete the thread to thank Bob??? Seems kind of a mean thing to do. I wanted to read what others wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff