Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 10:54 AM

24,370 posts, read 22,982,365 times

Advertisements

I guess we are being watched and everything online is all linked up. I went shopping today and purchased a specific brand of sausage links, one that I don't normally buy. I used a customer service card, one where they give you discounts and print out coupons for you at the register. Of course I knew they track your shopping habits as well that way, but never cared one way or the other. Then I get home and click onto CDC and lo and behold there is an ad for the same brand of sausage link. It took them under an hour to get my buying information to CDC so they could run an ad I might like. I'm not angry, its just that I'm very ad resistant and almost always know why these ads pop up and where they come from. I look online for shoes and shoe ads come up on websites. That's nothing new but this is something new to me. From checkout line to CDC.
I get car ads, clothes ads. Oddly never ads for firearms, LOL. I wonder how badly you could screw with the ad makers by researching really bizarre items. Like skin salve for livestock or centipede insecticide or industrial use excavators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 11:11 AM

8,012 posts, read 10,589,775 times
I was on a Facebook page, and up came my insurance agent's face and ad. And I live in a small town. A little unnerving, I'm not surprised, though. Any assumption of privacy today is pretty much an illusion. It also surprises me when I am on my work computer and up comes an ad for something I was researching or shopping for AT HOME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff