Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:11 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
If you use coupons for just those things that you need and regularly use, then you can save a couple of dollars a week. Over a year, that adds up.

If you use coupons for things, like shampoo or toothpaste, just to stack up in a closet and then donate it, you haven't saved money. You have wasted that entire amount.

If you use coupons to buy things that you really wouldn't bother with if it didn't have a coupon, you have wasted money.
Ah...couponing myths.....

Well, first of all, you are assuming that I actually spend money...which I often don't.

Second, if I 'buy' extra shampoo today with my coupons then the next time I need shampoo I can go to the hall closet instead of to the store where they may or may not have the best price when I need shampoo. I am saving on future purchases by stocking up. Prices have been going up ya' know. Paying less now for something that will cost more later is smart.

Third, donating is not a waste. They never complain that my items were purchased with coupons...they are happy to have donations at a time when food banks are running low.

Fourth, I don't save 'a couple of dollars', I only spend a couple of dollars, I save hundreds each month.

*Sniff* *sniff*
Ah...the scent of triples in the air....nothing quite like it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:18 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Ah...couponing myths.....

Well, first of all, you are assuming that I actually spend money...which I often don't.

Second, if I 'buy' extra shampoo today with my coupons then the next time I need shampoo I can go to the hall closet instead of to the store where they may or may not have the best price when I need shampoo. I am saving on future purchases by stocking up. Prices have been going up ya' know. Paying less now for something that will cost more later is smart.

Third, donating is not a waste. They never complain that my items were purchased with coupons...they are happy to have donations at a time when food banks are running low.

Fourth, I don't save 'a couple of dollars', I only spend a couple of dollars, I save hundreds each month.

*Sniff* *sniff*
Ah...the scent of triples in the air....nothing quite like it!!

That's right.

Stay away from my shelves

J/K.

I went from a min. of $400/month to a max of $100/month.

I have more than I ever needed and not the el cheapos....name brands.

We should get up and talk...have you ever been to slick deals? Hot coupon deals or coupon mom?

Old 07-17-2008, 11:19 PM

If I am going to shop anyways why not grab a bunch of free items while I was there.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:25 PM

Without giving the secret away.....it's all in the number of mfg coupons and how powerful they are. I can't for the life of me even convince my own parents of this.

@ CVS you can pay the intial $12-$20 th first visit and never have to pay more than a dollar or so out of your pocket again for their sale items.

Preaching to the choir?

Old 07-17-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That's right.

Stay away from my shelves

J/K.

I went from a min. of $400/month to a max of $100/month.

I have more than I ever needed and not the el cheapos....name brands.

We should get up and talk...have you ever been to slick deals? Hot coupon deals or coupon mom?
You just tell me which end of town you shop and I'll head the other way.

We were also able to cut our grocery budget by 75%. Probably do better if I count rebates and Rx GC's though. LOL

I do visit some websites, way too many to keep up with on a regular basis but Hot coupon world posts a lot for our area and they do a great job with CVS and Walgreens too!!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:30 PM

Did you see recently in the past the glucose monitors @ CVS?

$20 up front....they give your $20 ECB's to buy and then on the box it has a $20-$70 mail in rebate?

Match that with a donation......I'd find it hard not to do.

By the way I don't limit myself to boundaries like "ends" .....

No sacred ground bi-lo, HT, FL, RA, CVS.....ect.....all are fair game and have their own deals.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:39 PM

LOL...that's why I said that we probably are saving more than 75%....those rebates REALLY add up!!

I don't even do a lot of rebates (as compared to others who are hard-core couponers) but some deals are way too good to pass up.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Without giving the secret away.....it's all in the number of mfg coupons and how powerful they are. I can't for the life of me even convince my own parents of this.

@ CVS you can pay the intial $12-$20 th first visit and never have to pay more than a dollar or so out of your pocket again for their sale items.

Preaching to the choir?
LOL...my dad tells me the same thing...coupons are a gimmick to get you to spend more money.

OK, Dad. Oh, BTW....did you like that cool coffee maker I gave you for Christmas?? I actually earned $30 buying it by the time the rebates came in. We earned another $70 buying a phone system for my IL's.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
LOL...that's why I said that we probably are saving more than 75%....those rebates REALLY add up!!

I don't even do a lot of rebates (as compared to others who are hard-core couponers) but some deals are way too good to pass up.
Those are going to be the lucrative deals.

The harder they make it the more pay off there is. They still wish to advertise this way....all I can do is grin. We are down to figuring out deals before they post on the popular websites.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:57 PM

12 posts, read 77,217 times
Well, I am new at this and will listen and learn and use any advice given!

Just wondering, to find coupons, is there any one paper better to buy on Sunday? (Raleigh area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff