Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 08:03 AM

22 posts, read 56,453 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any lakes or ponds that freeze over enough to go ice skating on in NCC, particuarly, the Bear/Newark area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 11:31 AM

604 posts, read 2,013,745 times
You may have moved from a colder climate like MN, NY(upstate) .. .it does not get cold enough, long enough for any water body in NCCo to stay frozen enough to safely skate on it. You will have to pay to skate in a skating ring.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:44 AM

9,736 posts, read 14,292,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bh_cubed View Post
Does anyone know of any lakes or ponds that freeze over enough to go ice skating on in NCC, particuarly, the Bear/Newark area?
None that I know of, unfortunately, in NCC or Kent. When our kids were growing up in the Smyrna area, there was Wheatleys Pond which froze solid. We knew it was safe for our kids to skate if the local fire department had their rescue truck and fire truck on site. They turned the trucks' spot lights on which lit up the whole frozen pond. It was great! No trucks - No skate. Of course, that was 30 years ago.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:29 AM

I moved from South Jersey, so, not that much further away. There were a few small ponds that would freeze over enough to skate on. They weren't very deep. It was more likely when I was a kid(10-15 years ago, I'm only 27). But I had been out on one of them a few years ago. I drove by Beck's Pond the other day, the side along Salem Church road. It looked pretty solid. It just made me reminisce of when I was a kid, and I wanted to break out the ice skates.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:02 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,993,153 times
The ponds at Twin Lakes Brewery in Greenville can be used for ice skating and I've seen people out there skating at times. Since it's private property I don't know the situation as far as getting permission to ice skate there. The brewery is part of a family homestead on which one of the owners of the operation and his family live. It's also something of an ancestral home and is connected to the DuPont lineage. The ponds are up close to Rt 52, however, whilst the family home and the brewery sit farther back from the road.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:21 AM

thanks doctorjef
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware