Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 06:46 PM

105 posts, read 280,129 times

Advertisements

Hello All

My wife and I sometime over the next year will be relocating with most of our Fort Monmouth Base to Aberdeen Proving Grounds. I have toured Delaware but very small sample in Bear Delaware.? I am looking for a more up to date area (Not looking run down) and low crime is a plus for us, Would love to buy a house if possible. So we are looking around 200,000. Would buy a home if one under that price could be found that was decent but not holding my breathe. What are some nice areas you could recommend?

Like to keep the commute to 35 to 45 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 10:58 PM

445 posts, read 1,433,343 times
Newark is 45min commute, with no traffic issues; the west side of Bear a bit longer. You'll likely find your stated price will buy a townhouse or an older 3 bedroom type of home in that area. I'll leave specific neighborhood recs to other here.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,063 times
My self and family would like to move to Delaware sometime this year.. in the summer( June/ July) I would be renting for a few months before I buy home ( Townhome). I currently live in NJ and my older son will be in moving to High school. I would like to know a good High school in Bear Delaware( good ratings and has a Gifted and Talented programs). Over all I have my own business so commute will not be an issue... I guess the closest international airport would he Philadelphia( which is fine) and sometime on work i will travel to NJ and NYC( my work is mostly home based)..My main criteria to move to Delaware is for my business as I work with banks and more than that is a decent school. Any recommendations on high schools in Bear will be greatly appreciated

Old 01-06-2011, 05:12 AM

347 posts, read 861,838 times
Shoreone - have you decided on an area to move to? And...Sariba - have you found an area? Having moved here from NJ a little over a year ago, we expected to find many others coming here from NJ to enjoy all that De has to offer. We are not with the BRAC movement but there has/had been so much talk about big numbers of people having to relocate and the talk seems to have quieted down. Just wondering if the majority of the moves are now complete.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 AM

728 posts, read 1,779,320 times
Suburban Newark is a nice area, we just purchased a house in the Harmony Woods neighborhood and love it. Nice and quiet suburbia... in your price range with easy I-95 access.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:06 AM

589 posts, read 1,344,568 times
I don't know where everyone is relocating to, but the Fort Monmouth closing date is September 2011. So there will continue to be a steady stream of relocations up until that time, or even a bit after.

I'm loving the area we settled in, South Newark/Glasgow.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:09 AM

407 posts, read 963,702 times
Is Harmony Woods the area where Harmony Road is off of Rt. 273? I had looked at homes in that area and liked it. Just curious because I don't know too much about the area and hope to move next summer. We looked at homes all around that area, the homes on Harmony Rd. seemed the nicest and the most money too. It was a great spot as far as travel access. We will be going to DC a lot and also back to NY a lot so that seemed like a good spot. 2 hours to DC and 3 or less to NY depending on area of NY. Perfect. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven302 View Post
Suburban Newark is a nice area, we just purchased a house in the Harmony Woods neighborhood and love it. Nice and quiet suburbia... in your price range with easy I-95 access.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:05 AM

78 posts, read 308,979 times
Shoreone - I posted a long repsonse to your question but I think it was posted in the wrong place. Anyway, check into North east, Maryland, located in Cecil County. Particularly look ta North East Isles. It's a beautiful waterfront community settled into federally preserved woodlands. Just great. Private beach, marina, pool, tennis, baot launch and watercraft storage. Many of the owners here are part timers (these are sometie used as weekend homes) and so it's pretty darn quiet there - in the winter especially. I have a condo there and rented to an APG contratc person who found the commute to a cinch. The charming town has eateries, galleries, little stores and a waterfront park. nearby state forest lands offer hiking and trail bking as well as a gorgeous light house on a cliff overlooking the headwaters of the Bay. It's a 2 mile drive to RT95, and mid point between Philly and Baltimore. These would be in your price range, and some offer parking under the building for your vehicles. There are bargains to be had in this neaghborhhood because so many people bought them as second homes and now don't feel the ability to keep it. Check out North East Isles and the town of North East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware