Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:29 PM

8 posts, read 14,870 times

Advertisements

Hi everone- My husband and I are finally going to make the leap and relocate to the Wilmington area. We have 2 daughters, ages 10 and 16. They will be entering the 5th and 11th grades. My sister in laws partner told me that in her opinion, North star elementary is the best. I know that it is the Red Clay school district, but I am not sure what areas to search for apartments to have my daughter attend North Star,
I also need an excellent high school. My 16 yo is very bright. High honor roll student. Takes Ap and regents classes.. She is attending NYU precollege this summer.

I am sure I will have more questions, but for now Schools are on the top of the list.
Thank You

Karla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 05:51 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,984,487 times
Are you shopping for a private school or public? For private I'd suggest Tower Hill or Tatnall Academy. Also Wilmington Friends School.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:05 AM

700 posts, read 1,820,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Are you shopping for a private school or public? For private I'd suggest Tower Hill or Tatnall Academy. Also Wilmington Friends School.
They are great private schools, but very $$$$. Our kids have been out for years but the recommendations I hear about is the Brandywine School District (N Wilm) or the Appoquinimink district but that is 30 miles S in Middletown being the best.
Welcome to DE.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:12 AM

We are looking for Public schools.. Cannot afford private.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:27 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,092,258 times
we can be neighbors! We grew up in Long Island, relo to CT a few years ago, now are still looking to relo to DE by fall. Trouble is selling our house here.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,984,487 times
I'll stay out of any discussion of public schools in Wilmington because opinion is so divided. Various people think the same schools and school districts either are quite good or, conversely, are horrible.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:03 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,882,167 times
haha, I heard, lindenhill ES is the best around pike creek (where northstar is, I assume)

honestly, I have friends with kids at tatnall and sanford (?), also at independent ... and I got a very 'snobby' impression of those schools.

now it's too late for the upcoming school year, but especially for brighter kids I think wilmington charter school is the best pick. The test is known to be a tougher one, but I know a couple of really smart kids, who got in with no trouble and rave about their school.

the thing is ... you just can't trust webpages like greatschools etc, I really would narrow down my choices, would come down here and tour different schools.
finding a good ES shouldn't be that big of a deal, my impression is that it's getting a lot tougher, when it comes to MS, so look out for that too, since your younger once will be in middle school soon.

I live in middletown (appo district), really liked ES, was hesitating when it came to middle school (unlucky feeder pattern) but then got into our local charter school. we have very good Middle schools down here ... it's just all about the feeder pattern ....

I like the whole charter school idea, that's why I would def. try to get you older one in wilmington charter asap (and ... it's free too )

and one more thing (locals may correct me, if this has changed): when we were looking for a home, we really liked hockessin a lot. but if you live there, you'd better have the money for private schools, too. at that time ( 7 years ago) the public schools weren't good at all.

good luck, that's an exciting time (going through the same thing right now)

Old 04-18-2011, 03:35 PM

My sister in laws life partner is the one that told me about North Star. Se has triplet sons that attended shool there.

Not to sound ignorant, but what exactly is the difference between a charter school and regular public school?

Old 04-18-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
we can be neighbors! We grew up in Long Island, relo to CT a few years ago, now are still looking to relo to DE by fall. Trouble is selling our house here.

Where on Long Island were you?. I am in Cedarhurst.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:46 PM

604 posts, read 2,012,092 times
Like Jeff wrote there is such a variety of opinions about schools in general - most of them just parroting other newbie arrivals (not QoB) who don't have their children in any of the schools they opine about but this is a free country...with the first amendment in toe, they feel free to do so....inadvertantly, misguiding the new arrivals in the process.

My suggestion to OP is that determine the feeder pattern for the North Star ES and see which high school options are available if she anchors around her younger child's education. If the older daghter is already doing AP courses she should have no trouble at any school promoting her educational goals. It is my first hand (about my sons) experience that pupils who are motivated and dedicated are nearly worshipped by the teachers everywhere and get all kinds of challenges thrown at them so that the teachers feel the pride in the bright outcome for those pupils.

The question is what is her rental budget and if that fits in with the Hockessin houising market. So she may also keep the option open for a couple of very good elem. schools near Prices Corner area whose feeder patterns go deep in Greenville-Centerville areas ...it might open up more rental opportunities as well ....

Just some advice from a person who has lived here for a few decades
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware