Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 11:57 AM

589 posts, read 1,351,428 times

Advertisements

I bought a cheap used car from a private seller on Craigslist. I was assured by the sellers that the car was in good shape, other than a very visible dent, a need for a new door panel and a new windshield. The two guys who sold it to me, swore that the engine was in great shape, that they were selling it for a sister who needed the money for college, etc....

So I bought. Paid cash. Took it to a mechanic, who told me "I want you to get into that car, and go straight to the police, this is a crime."

Turns out the car has over $5000 in body damage, the undercarriage is a mess, and the car really should have been totaled. I called the sellers, wanting to back out, willing to even take a loss on the deal if they would buy it back from me. I got a lot of delays, a lot of hemming and hawing, a lot of BS. But after being patient with them for over a week, they aren't going to work with me.

Do I have a legal recourse? Any idea how I can get at least a little money out of a deathtrap on wheels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 12:03 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,452,243 times
How long was it after you bought it that you took it to a mechanic? Am a little confused b/c usually one takes a car to a mechanic before purchasing it (or not). What did the police say? In some states, you have 72 business hours to change one's mind but it may be different in DE (also if you signed something). I hope you can get your $$ back, good luck.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:50 PM

700 posts, read 1,825,612 times
I feel for you Carrie. CraigsList in my opinion is mostly a bunch of scams. Maybe you could post this on a legal forum for more response if you don't hear anything soon. Maybe small claims court would be an option if they knew of the problems prior. Did this take place in DE?

Old 04-18-2011, 01:35 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,209,890 times
Tha is a real shame. Buying from an independent selller if they had a legal right to sell it puts you in a bad position. I'll bet somewhere in the bill of sale it even say "sold as is". Did you drive it before you bought it?

Old 04-18-2011, 01:53 PM

589 posts, read 1,351,428 times
This all took place in Delaware. The bill of sale did indeed state 'Sold as is'. I contacted the sellers less than 24 hours after the purchase, and many times since, each time, before today, being told that if I'm 'patient' they would fix it. Now, he just hung up on me, after I proved to him I knew he was lying to me about other things.

I did drive it before buying, but only around a small residential block, as it didn't have legal plates. I could report this to the police as the mechanic advised me, but my gut feeling is that this falls under Caveat Emptor, and I walk away from this wiser but poorer.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:21 PM

8 posts, read 14,895 times
I'm really sorry you got screwed.. As another poster mentioned, you normally take a car to the mechanic before you purchase it. I bought a mini van a few moths ago from some on CL. My first quesion to him was, can I take it to my mechanic. He was a bit taken aback, thought it was odd. Told him straight out that it was to ensure I wasn't going to be taken.. Everything worked out great.

I hope someone can give you advise and that you are able to get your $$ back.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:29 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,423,587 times
I got screwed into a salvaged car when I was a teenager. It happens to the best of us.

You would have to prove that they falsely advertised the car to be different than how it was delivered to sue.

I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Best Western the other night.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 AM

407 posts, read 970,586 times
I don't know if there are any specific DE laws that could help you.....but generally it's simple. It is an as is sale weather it says it on the bill of sale or not (unless there is a warranty written on there specifically), no one forced you to buy it. You should have had it looked at by a mechanic first. You probably lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware