Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:36 PM

126 posts, read 102,151 times

Advertisements

Someone posted this on the Steam Powered Users Forum, and it must be shared. Apparently the police have taken a fancy to stealing people's basketball poles at 8:00 AM in the morning, and then lying to the people about taking them. Enjoy and discuss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ZZHGO5sXw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 12:30 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,973 times
Acording to the News Journal article these folks were told months in advance it had to come down. The State Police were there for protection. After they and DOT left she climbed down from the pole and Dot came back (snuck back) and took it down.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:38 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times
Yeah, it's really not about the police but about DelDOT, their jurisdiction and the reasonableness (or lack thereof) of the way their rules are administered, the response of this particular citizen, and the mechanisms of any appeals process.

Given more serious problems with/questions about DelDOT, this particular episode seems a bit of a storm in a teacup.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:56 AM

9,719 posts, read 14,256,523 times
Yes, it's enforced by DelDot.

The basketball hoop issue is one very good reason why I would NEVER move on a cul-de-sac in a subdivision. That is, unless one enjoys hearing basketballs thumping day and night.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:59 AM

347 posts, read 863,275 times
I have never lived in a "development" until we moved to Delaware. I don't "get" why families don't have their children play in their own backyards! There are always kids out playing in the streets - basketball, kickball and even baseball! Most developments even have playground areas that the children could participate in group play activities. We live on the edge of a cul de sac and children are always gathering here to play. It is not unusual to find discarded juice boxes, snack wrappers, etc. The basketball hoops should be placed in the driveways or at least hauled back up into the driveway when they are not in use. Sorry if I sound like a grumpy old lady As for the "mom" who climbed on the hoop - eh...you were given the "rules" and you were warned of what could happen if you didn't follow them - regardless if you agree with the rules or not.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:23 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,879,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonthemove View Post
I don't "get" why families don't have their children play in their own backyards! There are always kids out playing in the streets - basketball, kickball and even baseball! Most developments even have playground areas that the children could participate in group play activities.
I have to disagree with you

not sure how old your children are. from a certain age one kids don't gather in one another's backyard anymore (and you won't find a basketball pole in backyards anyway ... drive ways ... yes).
In our society obese and bored kids are a huge issue and I would rather see them playing any kind of sports in the street than not knowing where they are or, worse, knowing they hang out in front of the supermarket, mall or movie theater (teens here don't have too many options besides private homes or churches).
we have SO many kids in our street (over 20) and everybody is outside (street, sidewalks, lawn) to play - and I like it ! they socialize, move, don't hide inside playing video games and I can have so much eye on them as I want.
our (pretty new) development has no playground by the way - and many are made for little kids and have signs like '12 years and under' and just don't attract teenagers.

I agree, if you move to a cul-de-sac you can be pretty sure, it's getting a bit noisy sometimes. but I prefer that 'noise' over neighborhoods, where you hardly see people outside. when we don't have kids in our house anymore, I might see that differently (there are option for every single life style).

just put a trash can there or fix a trash bag to the pole, show up every now and then, talk to the kids and they most likely won't cause any trouble.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:53 AM

347 posts, read 863,275 times
Our children are 11, 13, 18 & 20. I LOVE children and outdoor play. I am always happy to see and hear children outside. I spent 9 years working in a childcare center before moving here! I guess what I don't care for is the lack of supervision, esp for children under 8 yrs of age (and the dents in our cars).

Old 03-27-2011, 08:45 AM

9,719 posts, read 14,256,523 times
There are some subdivisions where the Homeowners Associations do not allow those basketball hoops to clutter up the streets and cause car damage. Probably, those are the ones that designate open space for kids to play, instead of the streets.....a good thing.

As far as the mom sitting on top of the basketball hoop.......If I had a neighbor like that, I'd have to call the nearest asylum. But, she had her moment of fame on t.v.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
There are some subdivisions where the Homeowners Associations do not allow those basketball hoops to clutter up the streets and cause car damage. Probably, those are the ones that designate open space for kids to play, instead of the streets.....a good thing.
I wish .... our HOA does not allow them and there is no other place to go. playgrounds and open space should be mandatory for a neighborhood (of 350 homes !)
Should have been the Town of middletown telling the builder they at least have to provide one single lot for common use.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonthemove View Post
Our children are 11, 13, 18 & 20. I LOVE children and outdoor play. I am always happy to see and hear children outside. I spent 9 years working in a childcare center before moving here! I guess what I don't care for is the lack of supervision, esp for children under 8 yrs of age (and the dents in our cars).
my oldest is turning 14 soon and I am 100% sure, she does not want to 'play' on our next door neighbors jungle gym

I can completely see your situation and would not appreciate dents from baseballs on my car and agree, there should be supervision for smaller children (people sometimes have no ideas about the law and a lack of common sense ....)
but I related to the OP and think, taking away this hoop was just a silly thing to do and will make the situation on this street even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware