Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:20 PM

33 posts, read 56,179 times

Advertisements

Hi Doolish-Westbury here! Son moved to Smyrna, we are looking to come down to live, eventually, if our house ever sells! Actually driving down tomorrow for a few days to bring him some furniture(yes, lets move the stuff OUT!!) We really like Longacre Village, but check out a different place every time we come down. Also, we enjoyed Countrie Eatery too. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 12:03 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,171 times
there are lots of things you can do - there are museums although you might not find that exciting the air force base has one not to mention the ones in dover covering the history of the state - the main drag does mostly have chain restaurants but if go out to the side streets you will find restaurants that are not part of any chain - a good one is "where pigs fly" for bbq which is less than a half block off the main drag - there is a free publication called "the guide" which has things going on in the area mostly as fund raising efforts such as the local fire dept, etc - of course since your looking for exciting maybe you should ignore that - whats exciting about scrambled eggs - right - check out the local paper - if your talking about exciting as in picking up babes and getting sloshed i know there are a couple of irish pubs in down town area loockerman street - im not a drinker nor looking to pickup beef cake but they sound like they may be fun places - those are my only suggestions since you didnt really say what excites you - so buy paper local universtiy - bulletin boards like in wawa's -

Old 02-15-2012, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 7,830 times
Dover has a million more things to do then the 57,000 population city I live in. And its ALL chain restaraunt hell as well.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:08 AM

35 posts, read 64,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Agave, on 2nd Street (essentially the main street in old Lewes). They are closed during January up until around Valentine's Day, annually, however.
Thanks, I will definitely try Agave

Last edited by nycgirllovesde; 02-17-2012 at 05:05 AM..

Old 02-17-2012, 09:02 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
I think they were maybe going to be closed even longer this winter, up to March. I'm not entirely sure about that, but we usually talk to the owners when we are in, and I seem to recall that they were taking off a longer than usual time this winter.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:47 AM

119 posts, read 272,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper6522 View Post
Dover has a million more things to do then the 57,000 population city I live in. And its ALL chain restaraunt hell as well.
I guess its all relative. Dover may have more to do than a lot of smaller towns, so I guess you could say instead of having nothing to do, Dover has next to nothing to do. Dover is still so completely boring! So there may be a few dinky museums. Go to them all once and you are back to nothing to do. At least it is a close drive to DC, Baltimore, Philly NYC, and beaches but as far as actual Dover- nada. I have 3 small kids and we never had a thing to do! There is one small library (thank goodness they are FINALLY building a bigger one!) and the parking is so bad and the Childrens area (where they did the readings/activities) was so small and crowded that we never wanted to go for their story time. There IS the Kent County library which is new/bigger/nicer but technically its in South Camden. Theres NO kid things, no Gymboree or Little Gym, none of that. Actually there is a new lady who just started up some fun little classes off of State St so that is something. We have just moved to Charlottesville, VA and we have done more things (cheap or free) with the kids these past 3 weeks than I did in 2 years having kids in Dover. And its not like its stuff that we will get tired of, its all stuff you can do over and over and there are more and more things being offered all the time. I am so happy to have gotten out of Dover, my kids will have such a better life here. Not only is it more enriching for them, but the schools are a million times better.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 AM

9,721 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieNK View Post
I guess its all relative. Dover may have more to do than a lot of smaller towns, so I guess you could say instead of having nothing to do, Dover has next to nothing to do. Dover is still so completely boring! So there may be a few dinky museums. Go to them all once and you are back to nothing to do. At least it is a close drive to DC, Baltimore, Philly NYC, and beaches but as far as actual Dover- nada. I have 3 small kids and we never had a thing to do! There is one small library (thank goodness they are FINALLY building a bigger one!) and the parking is so bad and the Childrens area (where they did the readings/activities) was so small and crowded that we never wanted to go for their story time. There IS the Kent County library which is new/bigger/nicer but technically its in South Camden. Theres NO kid things, no Gymboree or Little Gym, none of that. Actually there is a new lady who just started up some fun little classes off of State St so that is something. We have just moved to Charlottesville, VA and we have done more things (cheap or free) with the kids these past 3 weeks than I did in 2 years having kids in Dover. And its not like its stuff that we will get tired of, its all stuff you can do over and over and there are more and more things being offered all the time. I am so happy to have gotten out of Dover, my kids will have such a better life here. Not only is it more enriching for them, but the schools are a million times better.
I think that's Great, you've gotten out of here! Hope you'll be very happy, from now on.
Great for us, too, because there's one less complainer.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
I guess its all relative. Dover may have more to do than a lot of smaller towns, so I guess you could say instead of having nothing to do, Dover has next to nothing to do.
I honestly don't see the point of posts such as these. After all, this poster confesses that Dover actually has more to do than a lot of smaller towns. So if someone visits or moves to there thinking they will enjoy access to first rate museums, Broadway-quality theatre and a vibrant nightlife, that's on them. These folks have as much credibility as someone moving to NYC and complaining about the prices and crowds.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:53 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,012 times
Quote:
Theres NO kid things, no Gymboree or Little Gym, none of that. Actually there is a new lady who just started up some fun little classes off of State St so that is something. We have just moved to Charlottesville, VA and we have done more things (cheap or free) with the kids these past 3 weeks than I did in 2 years having kids in Dover.
What a shame you never checked the Community Newsletter and Parks & Recreation Brochure where they list countless items for kids including Pee-Wee Tae Kwon Doe, Little Champions Mixed Marshall Arts, Parent/Tot Gymnastics, Tiny Tigers Karate, Preschool Gymnastics, Tots on Wheels, Tot Fun Flag Football, T-Ball Leagues, Pre-School Beginner Swimming, Child and Parent Swimming Programs and MANY MANY more programs for kids ... and teens ... and adults!

As RDLR so eloquently said, "Goodbye".

Old 02-23-2012, 10:56 AM

119 posts, read 272,909 times
Yea, I had the Parks & Rec newsletter, lots of stuff to do (well, relatively speaking- would hardly call it countless because I could count it at about 3 pages worth!) for 3+ but nothing for infants and toddlers and certainly not much for teenagers, especially those who aren't into sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware