Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 03:46 PM

17 posts, read 66,404 times

Advertisements

looking for gated communities in delaware ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 03:58 PM

20 posts, read 50,413 times
Ohhh great question! I would be interested in this too.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:59 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Any particular part of De.?

Old 02-28-2012, 04:10 PM

17 posts, read 66,404 times
Lewes or rehobeth but willing to check other areas.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
Good thread idea. Oh, how I wish we lived in a gated community as well.....

There is a gated Toll Brothers community in Ocean View, but prices start at $600,000. All lots are sold so the only homes available are ones which are already built.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:24 PM

9,722 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Gated Communities

Lewes/Rehoboth
Kings Creek Country Club, The Glade, Sawgrass at White Oak Creek, Nassau Grove, Plantations, Plantations East, Woods at Seaside

Bethany/Ocean View/Fenwick
Bethany Bay, Bethany Lakes, Ellis Point, Fenwick Shouls, Ocean Ridge West, Sea Del Estates, Fenwick Acres, Bethany Dunes, Preserve, Pelicans Pouch, Ocean Breeze, Angola by the Bay, Peninsula, Reserve at Fortune Field

off the top of my head..........

Last edited by rdlr; 02-28-2012 at 06:39 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,151 times
Depends upon your defination of "gated". Plantations and Plantations East do have "gates", but, they are controled by an electronic eye. They don't restrict who can enter via these gates. However, they do have an electonic record of who comes and goes through the gates.

I consider a gated community one that you can't enter without authorization - so in my mind Plantations and Plantations East do not fit that criteria.

Mary2014

Old 02-29-2012, 04:32 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Depends upon your defination of "gated". Plantations and Plantations East do have "gates", but, they are controled by an electronic eye. They don't restrict who can enter via these gates. However, they do have an electonic record of who comes and goes through the gates.

I consider a gated community one that you can't enter without authorization - so in my mind Plantations and Plantations East do not fit that criteria.

Mary2014
No, it doesn't depend on my definition of "gated" - I work with facts. Gated communities in Delaware have a different definition from your personal opinion of one, or where you're from. The list of gated communities I provided comes from my knowledge of the area (being here 71 years) and how communities are defined here. My sources for verification are always Public Record, Site Plans, and Innovia Multi List, a paid subscription service devised by professionals and utilized to narrow choices for buyers. Those choices include, but are not limited to: condo, single family, mother-in-law suite, fee simple, leasehold, water view, gated community, and other. I just checked all of those communities I listed and they all appear in the "gated communities" selection list of the multi list, as I thought. However, some communities in that list may be more desirable than others described as "gated"

About Plantations ..... West was built first, and when they first added the small security building at the entrance it was always manned and I had to give the attendant my business card to enter. Very soon, they became familiar with my face and the security guy just waved me in. Now, I rarely see an attendant there. Same for a much more elaborate gated community, Kings Creek. There is a booth, but no attendant, which is the norm for most gated communities in Sussex County these days. I visit gated communities, usually weekly, and rarely need "authorization" to enter any of them. However, one gated community having a security booth, which I have to slow down for is Sea Colony East.

Ahhh, memories......I remember the large billboard in the middle of the farm, put in place by the bank financing the builder's proposed new construction of the now, Plantations West. One of the amenities advertised on the sign was "gated community" which was a new phenomena then, and my first introduction to that term, back in 1987.

Last edited by rdlr; 02-29-2012 at 04:48 AM..

Old 02-29-2012, 05:43 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Someone coming to look at a property in Pot Nets on a summer weekend could be impressed. We have the guardhouses at our gates. Of course they are manned on Summer weekends only.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:13 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
rdlr--that's my experience as well. Many gated communities at the beach have booths, but no attendant. This tends to be the norm. The only development in all of Ocean View and most of Bethany (except the million dollar-plus homes gated communities right on the beach) that I have never, ever been able to wander through on my bike has been the Toll Brothers development on Fred Hudson Road I mentioned earlier, across from Harris Teeter. Sea Colony also has a gated section. Bethany Bay, Bay Forest, Bethany Preserve, Toll Brothers community on Clubhouse Road....all are classified as gated but they don't have attendants (yet?). I heard that they will have actual gates which require security cards once the developments are filled to capacity, but don't quote me on that .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware