Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 01:37 PM

13 posts, read 31,852 times

Advertisements

We are a young family (toddler son) and are considering living near a big university (i.e. U of Delaware in Newark) or UPenn for my PhD wife while I am considering a job to work in Elkton, MD. I'd prefer the suburban life rather than the rural life but would like some suggestions on which place would be best for raising a family (we are both ok with the commute). Consideration highest for safe place with good schools and things to do but also lower cost of living and advantageous tax positions.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 04:37 PM

201 posts, read 414,226 times
My husband works in Elkton and we live in Newark -- the part that's in the Appoquinimink school district just north of the canal. We can get to both Elkton and downtown Newark within 15 minutes. We have two preschool-age sons and are very happy here!

Old 05-30-2012, 05:40 PM

145 posts, read 320,607 times
Newark Charter is an excellent school. You have to live within a certain radius of the school. There is a lottery to get in but it is excellent. They just announced that they would be opening the school up to grades 9-12. We live on the border of Newark and Wilmington in the red clay school district. We are very happy with our school choice and our property taxes. My husband works near UD and can be at work in 15 minutes.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:29 PM

148 posts, read 276,852 times
Wilmington and Chester aren't suburbs. They're two of the older settlements in the United States, and they both have some of the highest crime rates in the country.

Do you mean suburbs of Wilmington and Chester?

Old 05-30-2012, 09:05 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,090 times
I would definitely look at the Glasgow/Middletown area, near the canal, in the Appo School district if possible. Pretty area to live in, all the big box stores we tend to rely on, close proximity to UD, Elkton, and not too far from the state capital, either.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 PM

13 posts, read 31,852 times
Thanks all .. yes I'm looking at suburbs of Wilmington.. probably not Chester since I realize now it is really high crime area. However, if my wife is to work at UPenn, I'm trying to strike a balance for commute and I see that Newark is out of question. The Brandywine Hills of Wilmington seem to be somewhere halfway .. any input on the good areas of NE Wilmington?

Old 06-01-2012, 01:03 PM

64 posts, read 116,565 times
What price range are you looking for?
Brandywine Hills is beautiful but on the edge of a questionable area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-05-2012, 06:48 AM

41 posts, read 140,733 times
I would avoid all three.....honestly.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I'd like to suggest Garnet Valley school district in Pennsylvania. The school district is one of the best in PA and not a bad commute to either place.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware