Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,515 times

Advertisements

recently widowed; military wife...two children...what kind of place is Wilmington to raise a family and start again...are there any italian american neighborhoods? Good schools? Low crime? do not want farm very rural areas, more like modern suburbs...heard newcastle is nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 02:33 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
The suburbs of Wilmington include some nice areas. By contrast, the City of Wilmington is not a desirable place to live on the whole, with the exception of a few neighborhoods. Wilmington has a Little Italy that was settled by Italian immigrants largely between 1880 and 1920. However, the Italian population of Little Italy is now very much diminished, as the original demographic has moved out and dispersed over time. However, there are many people in northern New Castle County who are of Italian origin and have Italian surnames. I am not sure whether your own reference regarding New Castle is to the city of New Castle or to the county. There are many nice areas in the county. The city of New Castle, however, is largely not so nice, save for the historic area of Old New Castle. The quality of public schools around here is a matter of controversy. The best local district is probably Red Clay, which covers some of the suburban Wilmington area, followed by Brandywine, which again covers other suburban areas generally referred to as "North Wilmington". The best public school districts, however, are not generally thought of as including the ones in northern New Castle County. For those able to afford them, there are numerous good private school options. The one district in New Castle County that has a quite solid reputation is Alapocas, which is farther south in the county and tends to be identified with Middletown, a growing bedroom (primarily) community south of Newark and Bear.

Crime within the City of Wilmington is rather bad, though largely confined to the poverty areas. It is also particularly a problem in the City of New Castle. If you are interested in a modern suburb and a decent school district, you might look at Middletown or the area of Bear that is within Alapocas school district.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:46 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Appoquinimink is the school district for most of Middletown and parts of Bear.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:48 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,910,003 times
Wow, good question! My mother's side is from southern Italy and they all primarily reside in New Castle County. Kent and Sussex really don't have much in the way of Italian neighborhoods or Italian culture so you're most likely better off looking at New Castle County. There are also far fewer people of Italian descent in Kent and Sussex, trust me on that one. Kent and Sussex are also more rural. I still have some family in Wilmington's Little Italy, but many Italian families have moved away from Little Italy due to close proximity to major crime issues.

I agree with doctorjef's suggestions....if you want good schools, stick with Brandywine, Red Clay, and Appoquinimink. I would strongly advise against sending a child to the other school districts in New Castle, although there are some excellent private schools available.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:47 PM

Sorry -- middle-aged moment: I meant Apoquinimink school district, but kept writing "Alapocas" (which is a suburban neighborhood of Wilmington)!

Old 06-27-2012, 11:24 AM

145 posts, read 320,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italy03 View Post
recently widowed; military wife...two children...what kind of place is Wilmington to raise a family and start again...are there any italian american neighborhoods? Good schools? Low crime? do not want farm very rural areas, more like modern suburbs...heard newcastle is nice
The OP does not want rural areas, so I would not recommend the APPO school district. The Red Clay school district is fine. We have been happy there so far, one year. Pick your feeder pattern carefully and you will be fine. You did not say what age your kids are. That would be helpful in recommending areas and schools.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:32 PM

Well I would not call. Middletown rural. I see it as suburban even if it is a distinct town.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:31 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Italian neighborhoods started dispersing after WWII. Many Italian immigrants took to the suburbs, leaving the cities along with other Anglo Americans.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:48 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Well I would not call. Middletown rural. I see it as suburban even if it is a distinct town.

quite true- middletown is most definitely not rural. you are correct that it is suburban although there is an effort made ( often with positive results ) to retain small town flavor and a community feel. however it is a mix of families with children- drawn to area because of appo school reputation, more affordable homes than farther north, and often larger lots, and older, retired, semi-retired who move there because of low taxes, 55+ communities, and proximity to larger cities where they might have adult chlidren/grandchildren.

i would suggest to the op that if she considers this area, she might look at some of the "older"- by middletown standards- neighborhoods which are closer in town and nearer amenities. in my opinion these neighborhoods feel more like a community than the very new, treeless developments which are off of #13 and #896, a distance from town, restaurants, stores, etc. this is my personal choice, but may not matter to everyone.

catsy girl

Old 06-27-2012, 05:20 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Delaware has a lot of people of Italian descent, but not that many Italians. As was mentioned, there is a Little Italy. It has an annual Italian festival. I'm not sure how many people are actually born in Italy, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware