Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:05 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddollar View Post
Hi Ladies,

I posted earlier about meeting some of you for lunch next week. I would love to go Thursday, but my brother and I (who is driving over from Ellicott City, MD) have an appointment at Westminster Village Retirement Home in Dover on Thursday around 2:30. We are looking for a place for our mom to move to if and when we can finally get out of Michigan and move to Delaware. She is presently living in Florida and we want her to be close to us.

Slightly off-topic, but does anybody know anybody who lives in Westminster Village? It's over by the hospital, I think, in the west side of town.

If Thursday only is good for the lunch bunch, please go ahead with your plans. If Wed or Friday is good, those days are good for me. Otherwise, I'll just pop in and visit Debbie and Marta at the Southern Meadows office. We'll be in the area at our son's home from Oct 30-Nov 10.

Jonalyn
Hi Mary and Jonalyn........I'm just a tad confused on the days. Do you want to go this week or next week?
Wednesday is not good this week, we have an appointment at the travel agents to pick up our itinerary for Italy. how exiciting is that!!!!
We leave the 10th and that week before should be kind of hectic. So I'm not sure if next week is good. Not saying no, just saying not sure. Pick a day and we will take it from there.
How about tues? anybody have any problems with Tues?
What we can do is pick a day and whoever can't make it will go on another day when the other ones can't make it. If that makes any darn sense????

Jonalyn..........When you stop to see Debbie, let me know. I'd love to meet ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 09:09 AM

699 posts, read 2,894,297 times
Quote:
Hi Ladies,

I posted earlier about meeting some of you for lunch next week. I would love to go Thursday, but my brother and I (who is driving over from Ellicott City, MD) have an appointment at Westminster Village Retirement Home in Dover on Thursday around 2:30.

Jonalyn
Tuesday is iffy for me. Thursday works better. Jonalyn, we usually meet at 11:00. would give you plenty of time for your 2:30 appt. I can't wait 'till next week for Chinese...I've been so deprived already. My Hubby won't go near a Chinese restaurant and my mouth is watering for shrimp egg fu young even as we speak! Mary, can you make it at our usual time? If so, you guys pick the place . I have no idea which ones are good.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
Tuesday is iffy for me. Thursday works better. Jonalyn, we usually meet at 11:00. would give you plenty of time for your 2:30 appt. I can't wait 'till next week for Chinese...I've been so deprived already. My Hubby won't go near a Chinese restaurant and my mouth is watering for shrimp egg fu young even as we speak! Mary, can you make it at our usual time? If so, you guys pick the place . I have no idea which ones are good.
Jonalyn....PA is right. We meet at 11 so you would have plenty of time and be out of there by 12:30.
I know a chinese take out that is pretty good but that is it.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:51 PM

113 posts, read 482,371 times
Jonalyn,

About two miles from us, there's a Westminster Village retirement place. We're in northwest Dover, and about five miles from the hospital, so perhaps there's another one I'm not aware of. If this is the one, though, I can't offer you inside info, so to speak (I've never known anyone who has lived there), but I can tell you that it's right next to the railroad tracks and almost underneath the power plant.

I mean within feet of the tracks, not across the street from them or anything like that, and though there aren't a lot of trains coming through, they are pretty loud and long during the night. We live quite a lot farther away, but are sometimes bothered by the noise. I'm certain that my mother wouldn't like it there.

As for the powerplant, sometimes there is an annoying, constant high-pitched noise associated with it, though I haven't noticed that as often the past couple years.

One more comment: if this is the Westminster located at the intersection of College Road and McKee (which becomes Saulsbury Rd. at some point), that intersection is becoming impossible at certain times of day, with cars backed up for quite a distance. There's a new development near by and, as well, a lot of noisy truck traffic on McKee / Saulsbury.

Sorry to bear bad news, but I hope it's helpful. I'd want to know.

Lori

Old 10-28-2007, 08:23 PM

137 posts, read 313,540 times
Default Lunch and other stuff

Hi Ladies,

Well, maybe Thursday will work well for me, too, since you all get together at 11 AM for lunch. I just want to be sure to be able to wait for my brother to come to our son's house so we can go together to our appointment in town.

Speaking of the appointment, thanks, Lori for the info. I looked up the address of Westminster Village. It's 191 Westminster Dr and is located just a bit northeast of the College Park/McKee intersection. Is that the one you wrote about? Hmmm, the power line noise, railroad tracks, and bad traffic don't sound too promising. The website makes the place look very inviting. We'll find a whole lot more when we visit the place.

Eliza, we arrive in Felton late Tuesday afternoon. I'll probably go over to S. M. office Wednesday. Maybe Debbie can give you a call so you can come over for a few minutes and then tell me how to get to the restaurant for Thursday.

Mary, where are you going in NC? We are heading down that-a-way after our Delaware visit. Hubby's family is from NC and we'll be staying in Morehead City a week or so.

Jonalyn

Old 10-28-2007, 11:19 PM

903 posts, read 3,504,761 times
Hi gang,

Finally getting a chance to check in today... its been a pretty busy weekend at our house! Lunch... Thursday (Nov 1st) at 11 is fine with me. And Chinese sounds great, but I'll eat most anywhere. I think I saw another thread about Chinese restaurants, so will follow up here later.

Jonalyn, I have been in the McKee Rd/Saulsbury Rd, etc area several times since we've lived here. Lori/JulieF was right on the money about it being pretty busy. I haven't specifically seen Westminster Village, but I wasn't looking for anything like that in my travels.

We will be going to the big town of Randleman, which is south of Greensboro (pretty central NC).We're going back to visit my folks, see my older 2 kids (that we haven't seen since we moved here Labor Day), hang out at our old church eating pulled pork BBQ, and catching up with everyone. I have "business" to tend to Monday (the 5th) there, so we decided to make it a weekend.

Morehead City is pretty, as are most of the more coastal areas. Hopefully, you'll have good weather. I haven't done my due diligence in keeping up with the hurricane activity this season, but I think its been pretty quiet. Do you and your hubby get to NC often?

We have old friends in Michigan; I'll have to check with my mom about where they are. I have family in Cincinnati & surrounding areas; I know parts of Michigan aren't too far away from there. Small world, isn't it?

Mary

Old 10-29-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Hi Ladies,

Well, maybe Thursday will work well for me, too, since you all get together at 11 AM for lunch. I just want to be sure to be able to wait for my brother to come to our son's house so we can go together to our appointment in town.
Eliza, we arrive in Felton late Tuesday afternoon. I'll probably go over to S. M. office Wednesday. Maybe Debbie can give you a call so you can come over for a few minutes and then tell me how to get to the restaurant for Thursday.
is from NC and we'll be staying in Morehead City a week or so.
Jonalyn
Jonalyn...........Sure just have Debbie call me.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:30 AM

113 posts, read 482,371 times
Jonalyn, yes, that's the place. My husband and I were talking about it last night, and he said that the large trucks passing on McKee/Saulsbury during the night bothered him even more than the trains. I block them out most of the time, I guess, but a train awakened me at 5 a.m. this morning--a long, long freight train--and, as I said, we are much farther from the tracks than Westminster.

My suggestion: be certain to drive along College Rd., which is the northern border of Westminster, and view the closeness of the tracks. Less than a stone's throw from Westminster. When you're on the grounds, take a look around. You will see how close you are to the power plant.

You will not see highly busy conditions traffic-wise at 2:30-3:30 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon--that is, compared to what they can be.

I hope you find a great place for your mother.

Lori

Old 10-29-2007, 08:37 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times
Lori, We were over on the far eastern side of Silver Lake, and we could hear the trains. There must be a road crossing that is used early every morning. The whistle woke me even at that distance, and I'm not a light sleeper.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:19 AM

199 posts, read 938,152 times
Jonalyn,

Mary mentioned a small world... When you mentioned Morehead City, NC, it reminded me of my father's half-sister who was (she is deceased) married to Ross Cannon. Many years ago he and his (Ross) father owned and operated Cannon Boat Works. I've often wondered if it is still there? Do you know it??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware