Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 AM

9,717 posts, read 14,254,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
OK RDLR now I have to go out in the cold and look.Learn something new every day.
Sorry.
I saw an original 4 digit this morning. It was a little worn looking, much smaller than those nowadays, and there was no diamond on it. The owner had touched up the numbers with white paint, it appeared. And, at the top it says DEL, not Delaware. But then again.....I'm confused too, because I've seen a diamond on some. Whatever, somebody's making money, probably just to keep us confused.

Last edited by rdlr; 01-21-2013 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,139 times
Smile I like the look of Delaware plates!

Just weighing in with my humble opinion. I love Delaware plates - see them once in a while up here. They are clear and easy to spot, even from a distance away. Just the basics - the yellow numbers on the blue background, not all cluttered up with other designs to make them hard to read. I recall when all plates were like that and police could tell the state from the color combination. Now there are so many other things on plates they are hard to read or determine the state. I did see a Delaware plate last week and it had the letters "CP" before the numbers. It was an SUV; don't know what the CP stood for. New Mexico just came out with a new plate with similar colors to Delaware (used to be yellow with red numbers and letters) - only difference is the little New Mexico symbol.

rdlr - I was in Whole Foods in CT the other day and they had a display of Dogfish Head beer with a sign saying "From Deleware". I saw the same spelling in 2 different aisles near the Dogfish Head.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:00 PM

9,717 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
Just weighing in with my humble opinion. I love Delaware plates - see them once in a while up here. They are clear and easy to spot, even from a distance away. Just the basics - the yellow numbers on the blue background, not all cluttered up with other designs to make them hard to read. I recall when all plates were like that and police could tell the state from the color combination. Now there are so many other things on plates they are hard to read or determine the state. I did see a Delaware plate last week and it had the letters "CP" before the numbers. It was an SUV; don't know what the CP stood for. New Mexico just came out with a new plate with similar colors to Delaware (used to be yellow with red numbers and letters) - only difference is the little New Mexico symbol.

rdlr - I was in Whole Foods in CT the other day and they had a display of Dogfish Head beer with a sign saying "From Deleware". I saw the same spelling in 2 different aisles near the Dogfish Head.
You should have gone to the management and created a scene, Delaware style.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:03 PM

297 posts, read 743,015 times
Quote:

Was is PC? I believe it used to stand for Pleasure/Commercial but no longer really means anything? It's used on station wagons, minivans, and SUVs.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:33 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,910,003 times
I've been told both pleasure/commercial and passenger carrier...although I'm told now that any vehicle may have the PC tag if they so desire. Basically, it no longer means anything.

Side note to above posts: I also find it irritating when Delaware is misspelled. However, I see so many misspellings and improper use of the English language anymore that it's become the "norm" .

Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
You should have gone to the management and created a scene, Delaware style.
Yes, I probably should have. Anyway, it was too expensive, about $3 more for a 6-pack than a store near me. This was not a handwritten sign, either, printed by a machine.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bac0s View Post
Was is PC? I believe it used to stand for Pleasure/Commercial but no longer really means anything? It's used on station wagons, minivans, and SUVs.
It could have been PC - I was just surprised to see letters at all, usually just numbers. The letters were one over the other on the left side of the plate. It was an SUV.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM

388 posts, read 998,173 times
I agree with beachliz - I was told "passenger carrier" by the gal at the DMV when we registered our SUV. She went on to say any vehicle that holds 5 or more people automatically gets the PC plate.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:52 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Quote:
Just weighing in with my humble opinion. I love Delaware plates - see them once in a while up here. They are clear and easy to spot, even from a distance away. Just the basics - the yellow numbers on the blue background, not all cluttered up with other designs to make
Just to explain to the out-of-staters here --- most Delaware plates are normal-size, yellow on blue background, but these special low-digit tags we're discussing, are much shorter, and I think white on black background. I'm from a neighboring state, and was always curious about them, as no other state has these pint-sized plates.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Just to explain to the out-of-staters here --- most Delaware plates are normal-size, yellow on blue background, but these special low-digit tags we're discussing, are much shorter, and I think white on black background. I'm from a neighboring state, and was always curious about them, as no other state has these pint-sized plates.
This found out about these here on the internet and they look very nice,

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1318735460

I wanna move to Delaware just so i can have these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware