Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,679 times

Advertisements

Mu hudband and I are looking for possible areas for retirement. We came across a development called Millville by the Sea, which on the surface looks very nice.

In looking at the population for the area, though, the towns are tiny. Are these towns seasonal, and will we feel isolated? Is there a hospital in the area? Shops? Restaurants? Normal services - pharmacy, hardware store, grocery, pet store? We don't want to have to drive 20 min to necessities when we are old. Is there a downtown in Millville or close? Where does one shop for clothes and such? We shop a lot online, but not for everything.

Right now we live in Newburyport, MA, a small "city" (smallest city in MA) of 17K and the community is very vibrant with a lot going on - farmers markets, shops, restaurants, bookstores, live theatre which also has musical events, a waterfront boardwalk on the river, a strong art community, and lots of festivals. It's also got a very walkable downtown.

Additionally there is a hospital in town, a full-time fire and police department, a smattering of good vets, and a commuter rail to Boston.

We are simple people. We enjoy walking our dog, walking into town and going to the Irish Pub for a Guinness and live music, browsing the independent bookstores, and maybe seeing a movie in the independent movie theatre downtown.

We've had occasion to use the hospital frequently, unfortunately - my husband is asthmatic, and I recently broke my foot and realize how important having a hospital CLOSE is, especially as we age.

We also have a dog who has lung disease, so a vet in town is critical, and a 34 Hr vet nearby (right now the 24 hr ER vet is 45 minutes away).

We want to retire somewhere we can afford a home - we can't here. We are in an 1,100 sq ft "half-house", which albeit charming, and great location a block from town and 2 blocks from the water, is cramped, especially with the dog we just rescued.

We also want to escape the high taxes here - we pay almost 5K on our small house. And the winters have gotten to us. We want a warmer climate. Not sure we could tolerate a hot, humid climate like FL or the Carolinas, or that it would be good for my husband and dog, and we really like to have 4 seasons.

Would love if anyone could give me the scoop on this area. The good, the bad, everything. We've only seen New Castle in Delaware, which was adorable.

If anyone knows of this development, that would be helpful as well. We know the houses are close together and the yards are small, but we are used to that in Newburyport, where we can reach out and practically touch our neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 04:17 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
Since I live up in New Castle County I can't be of a whole lot of help about Sussex, but I would say that the town of Lewes would possibly be a perfect match for you, if you could find anything you could afford. It is a real town, unlike Old New Castle which lacks adequate amenities for the essentials of life, Lewes is a real town. Little and walkable, it is to me the most charming town in Delaware. And the oldest -- the first town in The First State. It has a wonderful history and everything you need including a hospital. Do make a trip here and see more of this incredible little state. It's the only way to decide what's right for you.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:43 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
I am relo'ing in March to Rehoboth but the question about the climate is the one I will take a crack at. We are Long Islanders, and my frame of reference for the Delaware Weather is DC and Maryland, as compared to here and them as compared to De.

From what we have researched, you in all likelihood will not have the cold and snow that you do there but it is not exactly warm in the winter either. I believe the average is 32 degrees. We too like the 4 seasons and Florida does not appeal to me.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
Not much snow at all normally in southern DE. The winter temps fluctuate and I'd say it is usually better tha 32 -- even up here in the northern part of the state. Lots of days in the 40s and some in the 50s, with occasional forays into the 60s. Mostly in the mid 40s at least, I'd say. Obviously every winter is different and some are quite mild, others a bit more severe.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:55 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,223 times
Millville by the Sea is a nice development. However, Millville by itself does not have much to offer as far as entertainment, and there is not a hospital nearby. There is not a "downtown" to walk around. Now, Ocean View (next town over) does have more stores, it's more walkable, and it also has festivals. However, the nearest hospitals are a good 25-30 minute drive away--one in Lewes, DE and one in Berlin, MD.

I also believe that Lewes, DE would be a good fit for you. The hospital is right there, the town is charming and safe, and there's plenty of entertainment and events going on to keep one occupied. Rehoboth Beach even has a small theatre. Hope this helps....

Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 PM

30 posts, read 73,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Mu hudband and I are looking for possible areas for retirement. We came across a development called Millville by the Sea, which on the surface looks very nice.

In looking at the population for the area, though, the towns are tiny. Are these towns seasonal, and will we feel isolated? Is there a hospital in the area? Shops? Restaurants? Normal services - pharmacy, hardware store, grocery, pet store? We don't want to have to drive 20 min to necessities when we are old. Is there a downtown in Millville or close? Where does one shop for clothes and such? We shop a lot online, but not for everything.

Right now we live in Newburyport, MA, a small "city" (smallest city in MA) of 17K and the community is very vibrant with a lot going on - farmers markets, shops, restaurants, bookstores, live theatre which also has musical events, a waterfront boardwalk on the river, a strong art community, and lots of festivals. It's also got a very walkable downtown.

Additionally there is a hospital in town, a full-time fire and police department, a smattering of good vets, and a commuter rail to Boston.

We are simple people. We enjoy walking our dog, walking into town and going to the Irish Pub for a Guinness and live music, browsing the independent bookstores, and maybe seeing a movie in the independent movie theatre downtown.

We've had occasion to use the hospital frequently, unfortunately - my husband is asthmatic, and I recently broke my foot and realize how important having a hospital CLOSE is, especially as we age.

We also have a dog who has lung disease, so a vet in town is critical, and a 34 Hr vet nearby (right now the 24 hr ER vet is 45 minutes away).

We want to retire somewhere we can afford a home - we can't here. We are in an 1,100 sq ft "half-house", which albeit charming, and great location a block from town and 2 blocks from the water, is cramped, especially with the dog we just rescued.

We also want to escape the high taxes here - we pay almost 5K on our small house. And the winters have gotten to us. We want a warmer climate. Not sure we could tolerate a hot, humid climate like FL or the Carolinas, or that it would be good for my husband and dog, and we really like to have 4 seasons.

Would love if anyone could give me the scoop on this area. The good, the bad, everything. We've only seen New Castle in Delaware, which was adorable.

If anyone knows of this development, that would be helpful as well. We know the houses are close together and the yards are small, but we are used to that in Newburyport, where we can reach out and practically touch our neighbors.
I would guess the hospital being the biggest issue. Milville is getting a little closer to Ocean City, MD. The hospital in Berlin, MD would be about 19 miles and Beebe Medical in Lewes would be about 22 miles. Clothes shopping, you would have mainly outlet type shopping centers, both in Ocean City and in Rehoboth Beach, where purchases would be tax free. Property taxes are definitely lower - we pay $1200 yearly on a $250,000 home. I would agree with the others and suggest you look at Lewes, De. That is where the hospital is located, close to Rt. 1 if you want shopping and Savannah Animal Hospital recently converted to a 24 hour care facility for the pets.

Climate wise, it really can vary. When we moved from South Carolina in 2010, everyone said, oh it never snows and that winter was when we received 3 blizzards, 1 blizzard the following year, but the last 2 winters have been quiet. It does get hot in the summer, but nothing like the humidity down south in my opinion. We've had the 2 hurricanes the last 2 years but thankfully each time the warnings were worse than we actually got for the most part.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:29 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,679 times
I've heard Lewes is cute, and seems more what we want, but from what I've seen poking around, I don't thing we can afford it on a budget of 250K.

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:18 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
I've heard Lewes is cute, and seems more what we want, but from what I've seen poking around, I don't thing we can afford it on a budget of 250K.

Thanks for the info.
Yes the town of Lewes is very "cute" . In town can be very pricey. However there are many nice homes which would fit you budget and provide the ability to have a nice life style within the Lewes zipcode west of Rt1. I would suggest you spend some time looking through the local Real Estate Boards website at www.scaor.com to get an idea of prices. Then come down and look around a few times. Summer ,shoulder seasons and dead of winter are each very different.
As far as weather goes If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes it will change.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Re: Lewes. be sure you are not in the "city" of Lewes because then you have additional taxes.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Re: Lewes. be sure you are not in the "city" of Lewes because then you have additional taxes.
Of course those taxes get you "city services" including local police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware