Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 07:56 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,531,448 times

Advertisements

I know that Comcast and Verizon get a lot of bad press - but, I had great service in the Lewes area recently when I wanted a land line with just basic telephone service, a very basic TV service and a good internet service.

For me the trick was to call Verizon directly and use their "move" services to just move my basic telephone landline service from PA to DE. It was more expensive than in PA, but, could not even find a very basic landline service offered by Comcast that did not cost a lot more. It was supposed to be automatically transferred on a specific date (a Sunday). Sunday morning comes and my service is shut off in PA on schedule. I drive to my new home in DE - but, the phone had no dial tone. Figured I would call Monday morning. Meanwhile, Verizon is trying to reach me via my cell phone (which only gets turned on in emergencies) to verify the address because the new 911 addresses can't be matched up with the old addresses they have on file. They sent out a Verizon technician to my home on a Sunday afternoon to track me down! She had to work on the main box in the condo community to match their records to the new 911 addresses. I had a dial tone within an hour.

I had stopped by the Comcast office the week before just after closing on my condo to schedule an 8am appointment for the following week. I did not want all of these expensive bundles where you get special pricing for 6 months and then the price doubles - and you are stuck with paying for stuff you don't use. The Comcast office does not handle special pricing offers. I asked for very basic TV and good internet speed at a fixed monthly price that did not require a contract. I wanted a technician to come out and hook up my TV and internet (which cost only $32.50). The Blast Internet service and basic TV service bundled price was $70.45 per month fixed price and no contract.

Even though I got a call in PA a few days later to "save" the $32.50 by doing the hookup myself - I said NO WAY! I want a technician to do the hookup. The following week the technician arrives on time at 8am. The 15 year old condo had old Comcast coax cables and it required a technician to update some things - so doing it myself would have never worked. He set up my TV, set up a wireless internet connection to the router and even set up my Comcast email account for me. He also set up my printer to work with the wireless connection.

I was very pleased with the Verizon service for my land line and the Comcast service for my internet and TV service. TV, internet and phone services total less than $100 per month - all taxes included! I don't mind paying for services I use - I dislike getting locked into contracts with special pricing that doubles 6 months later.

You don't see the basic services offered on line, but, by calling Verizon and asking or walking into a Comcast office and asking to put together a basic package that meets your specific needs is the way to go - they are available if you ask.

Mary2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 08:15 AM

820 posts, read 1,205,491 times
Comcast is just a low quality internet connection honestly. Its like modern dial up compared to other providers.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
Comcast is just a low quality internet connection honestly. Its like modern dial up compared to other providers.
sjdemak,

When I was living in PA I had Verizon Fios for internet. With Comcast, I have their Internet Blast. To be honest, I can't tell the difference. I suppose it really depends upon what you are trying to do via the internet as to if you will notice a difference.

Mary2014

Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,155,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
sjdemak,

When I was living in PA I had Verizon Fios for internet. With Comcast, I have their Internet Blast. To be honest, I can't tell the difference. I suppose it really depends upon what you are trying to do via the internet as to if you will notice a difference.

Mary2014
I have Comcast at work. WE had FIOS at home and switched to MediaCom a year ago. For everyday personal use I see no difference.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:19 PM

317 posts, read 744,495 times
Comcast in a word SU+KS! I've never heard of a "service company" make you go to them for a remote or just about anything. Oh you may need a new set top box bring that one in and we will give you a new one. FU

They have security in the lobby because the wait is so long and people are so pissed off where I live. When I gave them the boot they wouldn't come get the two DVR's so four years later they sit in a closet in the basement and they sent me to collections and reported on my credit, all because I refused to bring them to them. I told them they can pick them up anytime but that didn't work for them.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:35 PM

4,762 posts, read 5,396,101 times
Avoid at all cost. I have a refund owed to me, it has been ongoing for at least 6 months, still no refund issued.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:43 AM

Atlwarrior,

I must admit when I received my first regular bill and went to pay it on line - I changed my mind and wrote a check and put it in the mail instead. I was really surprised there was no way to "schedule" the payment to come out of my checking account on a specific date.

I really wonder who is handling the administrative functions of this company and if it is being done offshore.

Comcast seems to do everything possible to convince you the setup is a DIY job - even going so far as to call me a few days after I scheduled a technician to come out- because they wanted to "save me" the $32.50 charge. I think they were annoyed that I insisted on having them send someone out.

I suspect the customer service people at my local Comcast office may be dealing with all the billing errors caused by outsourcing the administrative billing functions. I would not last 5 minutes in a job like that if I had no real control to fix the problem. That being said, I arrived just after they opened and the CSR was very helpful in helping me select the best and least expensive plan for my needs. And the technician that came out to do the set up was top notch - as the wiring was 15 years old and he had to make several changes before he could get everything up and working.

My personal view is that the majority of customer service problems in large companies can usually be traced to the offshore outsourcing of administrative functions to "save money".

Mary2014

Old 07-10-2014, 04:54 PM

80 posts, read 145,207 times
Mary2014,

No contract means they can increase your fees at any time, which they will do with a vengeance. It's likely that unbeknownst to you they gave you a "promo" price for 3-6 months. It's in the system, you just don't know it. Wait for it to jump up after that in 3-6 months, and again 3-6 months after that. Their sole tactic is to lure you in so they can club you over the head. With the lack of competition here, there's nothing you can do if you want/need internet.

After having TWC internet at only $30/month for many years in another state (and moving around within the state - price stayed the same), I find Comcast's pricing predatory and outrageous. I feel sorry for the poor unsuspecting TWC customers who have no idea what's coming.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:22 PM

13,036 posts, read 17,946,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmioquartiere View Post
Comcast in a word SU+KS! I've never heard of a "service company" make you go to them for a remote or just about anything. Oh you may need a new set top box bring that one in and we will give you a new one. FU

They have security in the lobby because the wait is so long and people are so pissed off where I live. When I gave them the boot they wouldn't come get the two DVR's so four years later they sit in a closet in the basement and they sent me to collections and reported on my credit, all because I refused to bring them to them. I told them they can pick them up anytime but that didn't work for them.
I would advise that you check your free credit report out. You may be very surprised to learn that you have "earned" a poor score because of your stance. Trying to repair that damage will take a long time and if you should want to buy a car or home, you will "pay" a lot more than the cost of gas to the Comcast office to do so. As the song goes, sometimes you got to know when to fold' em.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:34 PM

317 posts, read 744,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I would advise that you check your free credit report out. You may be very surprised to learn that you have "earned" a poor score because of your stance. Trying to repair that damage will take a long time and if you should want to buy a car or home, you will "pay" a lot more than the cost of gas to the Comcast office to do so. As the song goes, sometimes you got to know when to fold' em.

First off everyone that lends money knows Comcast. I own my home and pay cash for my cars so they didn't hurt me at all.
I also was able to include in my credit report a statement or rebuttal so lenders can see it. Also this ding will disappear in three years It's not like a bankruptcy! It's been two years already and will disappear next year. You must think I'm some young kid.

So you see I didn't do this blind I knew I wouldn't be needing credit and chose that route just to screw with Comcast like they do to everyone...I win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware