Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 06:39 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times

Advertisements

Have you ever thought of sound deadening from your side? Acoustic wallpaper might be worth a look, maybe chat with someone about what you can expect from it. Or look at Homastat 400 sound board. Have you ever tried to get a decibel reading when he is thumping the bass? Maybe one of these cheaper options would help to at least stand it till you move.

Can you hear it out in front of the house too? If he's doing this in the late evening, I'd keep calling the cops. He will get tired of that after while. Recording it so he doesn't turn it down when they pull up would help. I'd feel like knocking the smart look off their faces, its just not right you have to consider moving due to some idiot. What's with the landlord is it a property management outfit, or just some individual owner? Perhaps you could find out where the landlord lives and go over and personally discuss the problem. If you do see the landlord do some record first. That way its not just a he says one thing and the other guy says something different. One person can ruin living in a neighborhood. Ya can't choose your neighbors or relatives. I'm sure sorry, hope things work out for you.

Acoustic wallpaper, listed by manufacturer
Homasote green building boards fiberboard sound proof

This page talks about making your own acoustic panels that might be helpful.
Take a look at the other article on the sidebar, Soundproof Your Garage Walls (Using My Cleat Method), it might give you some ideas. The thick foam used for studio rooms, the pyramid looking type, thats a possibility. From what I've heard adding another piece of sheet rock and insulate in between with a sound proof material helps. But sure its extra work and expense all because of some creep.
Make acoustic panels for your recording studio or home theater

http://www.foamforyou.com/pyramid_fo...s___sheets.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:40 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post

Can you hear it out in front of the house too? If he's doing this in the late evening, I'd keep calling the cops. He will get tired of that after while. Recording it so he doesn't turn it down when they pull up would help. I'd feel like knocking the smart look off their faces, its just not right you have to consider moving due to some idiot. What's with the landlord is it a property management outfit, or just some individual owner? Perhaps you could find out where the landlord lives and go over and personally discuss the problem. If you do see the landlord do some record first. That way its not just a he says one thing and the other guy says something different. One person can ruin living in a neighborhood. Ya can't choose your neighbors or relatives. I'm sure sorry, hope things work out for you.
]
In reading the above quote I just got a brainstorm!! Why don't you record it and go play it full blast in front of the landlord's home??

Old 02-28-2013, 10:13 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
I'm sympathetic, because I've had that experience before...

If you do wind up selling, don't buy another rowhouse, though. Better to have some space between you and your neighbor...

Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I'm sympathetic, because I've had that experience before...

If you do wind up selling, don't buy another rowhouse, though. Better to have some space between you and your neighbor...
Space isn't always the answer.One time we bought a 5 acre lot and placed a home on it. A really nice family moved onto the adjacent 5 acre lot and wanted try raising their own food. Let's just leave it at that and say we couldn't open our windows on nice days.
While I don't like anyone telling me what I can do I would heasd for a place with a lot of rules so this doesn't happen again.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:53 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
I know alot of people complain about HOA's...but, as in cases like this, those rules do serve a purpose in protecting the neighborhood.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:14 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
In reading the above quote I just got a brainstorm!! Why don't you record it and go play it full blast in front of the landlord's home??

Great suggestion!!

Old 02-28-2013, 12:22 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,625 times
Thumbs up I sympathize fully

I am in a condo complex (townhouse style) and have had the worst luck with adjoining units. We are in a 96-unit complex and until recently there were 2 chihuahuas in the complex and one was on each side of me. Non-stop barking day and night. Finally one side's tenant moved out and it is thankfully still empty. Even before they got the dog, they were a nuisance. They were in an end unit and bought a huge flat-screen TV and of course they mounted it on the wall that adjoined my unit. It was on constantly, very loud and I think a video game system was hooked up to it too, so I got the sound effects from that as well when they were playing. They were young people in their 20's but blasted that TV louder than any hard of hearing senior citizen would. I would walk in my door and hear their TV. I had to wear headphones to listen to my radio. Even if I went upstairs I could hear the TV which was in their downstairs.

The person on the other side of me is just the most ignorant piece of trash imaginable. Between the chihuahua, her visitors blowing car horns and now a kid she brings there to play ball indoors (bouncing it and hitting it off the wall adjoining my unit) she is just unbearable. I am waiting to see what kind of tenants move into the vacant unit and I will probably have to move, too. It is a shame that quiet, considerate people get the noisy neighbors and I have found you cannot "get back" at them with noise, because they like noise.

Good luck.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:45 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I know alot of people complain about HOA's...but, as in cases like this, those rules do serve a purpose in protecting the neighborhood.
Yes, there are those who might complain about HOA restrictions, but these same "restrictions" would eliminate the OP's problems with noisy neighbors..

Old 03-01-2013, 06:06 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
Thank goodness for a strict HOA where I live....although we still get some weekly renters during the summer who need a foot right up it. I have a few other horror stories that I've posted on here before regarding past "neighbors" (typically family visiting homeowners here or else they're renters). I couldn't live in an area where "everything goes" because we still have enough problems here even with all the rules and regulations...more so during the summer than in the off season.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Thank goodness for a strict HOA where I live.
So far, I feel exactly the same way. We've been here now for eight months and this is the first time I've lived in an HOA community. So far, the advantages have been many ... without any drawbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware