Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:23 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpharma View Post
HI

I just visited Governers town house in smyrna. The town house maintainance is good. Thank u very much for ur help. They informed me that they do not have single bed rooms but they do have double bed rooms. I am satisfied with the apartment. We are planning to take the double bed room apartment itself
Thank u very much to all of u.
Hey great. so glad this worked out for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 01:45 PM

50 posts, read 239,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpharma View Post
HI

I just visited Governers town house in smyrna. The town house maintainance is good. Thank u very much for ur help. They informed me that they do not have single bed rooms but they do have double bed rooms. I am satisfied with the apartment. We are planning to take the double bed room apartment itself
Thank u very much to all of u.
Congrats!!!. So glad you found a place to live. And good luck with your new job

Old 12-11-2007, 11:04 AM

35 posts, read 135,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Hey great. so glad this worked out for you
Kpharma:

That's great! Welcome! I don't think you'll regret it. When you get here, just give a shout if you need help getting around town.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:35 AM

15 posts, read 69,050 times
well, the major problem in smyrna is drugs, and criminals. However, if you know they are there, an you live there then you just take the proper precautions an you'll be fine. Its like anywhere else nowadays. You can't avoid it. All you can do is take the proper precautions to protect you,and your family . Just so you know, Dover has areas that look like the south side of Baltimore. Other areas, like in Wilmington , there are areas that are like Baltimore in appearance, but there nicer areas to live in.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:51 AM

18 posts, read 61,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles12 View Post
Kpharma:

That's great! Welcome! I don't think you'll regret it. When you get here, just give a shout if you need help getting around town.

HI Noodles12

Thank u very much for your suggestions. I will try to be in contact with you.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:36 AM

6 posts, read 38,420 times
Default Alternative...

I worked on the south side of Smyrna for years, and it's a great area to live in. I would suggest you look on the south side just outside the main part of the city (Sunnyside Lane is a great area) and also consider living in Cheswold, which is just a couple miles south of Smyrna, between Smyrna and Dover.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:42 PM

19 posts, read 98,197 times
Smyrna school district is focused on scores and the test results show a high level of performance. Smyrna is consistenly "one of the best towns in America" to live in. On th border of Kent County and New Castle - not too far from Wilmington via Route 1 ( 40 - 45 minutes less to the Christina Mall) yet away from the maddening crowd of I-95 and the New Castle County crazies - Smyrna has has some weird politics lately - but I think it is starting to return to non-weird.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:13 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
I enjoy reading the positive feedback on Smyrna. When my wife and I looked at the area (a few times) we liked what we saw. I also have a former employee who lives in Smyrna who loves it.

So can anyone explain to me why Smyrna rates a 7 on the crime scale from 1 to 10. Is it that the size of the town skews the data? Is there some small corner of Smyrna that ruins the rating for the rest of the town? I can't understand why it's a 7.

For those new to the forum, I checked with the FBI to see whether crimes committed within the walls of the correctional facility located in Smyrna count in the statistics. I thought that might be an explanation. The FBI says that those crimes are not reported through the same system that tabulates the data and so the answer is no.

So if anyone can come up with an actual explanation for why Smyrna rates a 7, I'm listening. Most evidence suggests that Smyrna should not be considered a high crime area.

Thanks.

Charley

Old 12-16-2007, 05:42 AM

19 posts, read 98,197 times
Charley - You are right - there is a small section - from the McDonald's to the Wayside Inn - west of Route 13 about 6 blocks deep that has crime - but it is non violent, non drugs, non weapons - hunch - probably something to do with Friday and Saturday nights and the significant number of establishments that serve libations profusely - Sheridans is great - Irish corner pub/restaurant - go there often - but there are many other "storefront" bars in the area - that seem to have a constant "flow"

Old 12-16-2007, 06:00 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
Well now ... that certainly makes sense. I grew up in the Bronx in the 60's and there was an Irish bar on every block in the Norwood section. There might still be as St. Brendan's church is probably one of the major reasons why that neighborhood is still good today. The church has been an excellent stabilizing influence.

However, Friday and Saturday nights ... and St. Patrick's and New Year's Eve were booming nights at the bars, at the 52nd Precinct and at Montefiore's emergency room. It was the ample supply of alcohol followed by the "loud discussions" which were "taken outside", that often led to unpleasant results. It wasn't really crime. We called it rowdy behavior. But I'll bet today it's classified as assualt, assualt and battery, etc.

The bar scene could certainly contribute to the statistics. Anything else?

Charley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware