Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 12:23 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,181,296 times

Advertisements

Lewes will celebrate it's successful battle with the British in the War of 1812. It's bicentential Celebration will be Saturday April 6 and Sunday April 7 2013. Activities will be in town both days and also firing of cannons on Saturday at Cape Henlopen State Park.
For more information, go to HistoricLewes.org

Lewes Historical Society plans two days of events - By Ron MacArthur - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 01:25 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,342,415 times
Thanks for the links!! I enjoyed reading about it.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:34 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,446,151 times
Is this a good time to point out that the War of 1812 should have been remembered LAST year ?

In 2012 ?

Oh well....better late than never, I guess ?

For any one who is interested, the Royal Canadian Mint produced a extensive series of commemorative coins, for the two hundred year anniversary.

Link here.

Royal Canadian Mint - To be the best Mint in the world Royal Canadian Mint

Here in Canada, we regard the War of 1812, as the turning point in our progression from being a British Colony, to an independent nation. Because of the stalemate outcome of the War in 1812, we were able to grow and flourish, and expand our country, westward.

The outcome of the American Civil War also created a strong reason for us to be come a separate nation. The huge standing army of the United States, in 1865, was a very real threat to our survival. July the first, of 1867, saw our independence proclaimed.

Most Americans have never been taught about the Fenian Raids, that took place from 1866, to 1872. The Fenian Brotherhood was a fore runner of the IRA, and they thought that by invading Canada, they would force Great Britain to grant independence to Ireland. Each time they tried to invade Canada, they were defeated, with serious loss of life. Many of the Fenians were Irish-American veterans of the US Army, who had fought in the civil war.

Link here,

WarMuseum.ca - A Chronology of Canadian Military History - 1841-1871

My old Regiment, The Queen's Own Rifles Of Canada, were one of the militia units that faced the Fenians, and they still carry the battle honour " The Fenian Raids " on their Regimental flag. It is one of the oldest Regiments of the Canadian Forces, dating from 1855.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:03 PM

Jim B I posted this as news. Yes it sure did dawn on me this is 2013 and now they are celebrating the 200 year anniversary. Shooting the cannons off sounds interesting .

Old 04-01-2013, 03:24 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,446,151 times
longnecker:

No offence meant or taken.

I like big explosions as much as the next guy, and I have the hearing loss to show for it ( grin ) .

On a more serious note........did your formal education include any mention of the Fenian Raids ?

Many Americans that I talk to have never heard about them, while here in Canada, they are a standard part of our history programs in High School.

And, as I mentioned in my first post, my old Regiment, The Queen's Own Rifles, were involved in most of the battles of that long ago conflict, along the shores of Lake Ontario, and the St Lawrence River.

Link to The Queens Own Rifles of Canada website.

the queen's own rifles of canada - Google Search

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:58 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,551,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Is this a good time to point out that the War of 1812 should have been remembered LAST year ?

In 2012 ?

Oh well....better late than never, I guess ? .
It is the bombardment of Lewes that is being remembered - which happened April 6th & 7th 1813 - 200 years ago this weekend.

Mary2014

Old 04-02-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
longnecker:

No offence meant or taken.

I like big explosions as much as the next guy, and I have the hearing loss to show for it ( grin ) .

On a more serious note........did your formal education include any mention of the Fenian Raids ?

Many Americans that I talk to have never heard about them, while here in Canada, they are a standard part of our history programs in High School.

And, as I mentioned in my first post, my old Regiment, The Queen's Own Rifles, were involved in most of the battles of that long ago conflict, along the shores of Lake Ontario, and the St Lawrence River.

Link to The Queens Own Rifles of Canada website.

the queen's own rifles of canada - Google Search

Jim B

Toronto.
Jim .. It has been a LONG time since my formal education ended..However I do not remember ever previously hearing of the Fenian Raids. Not sure the Delaware form is the place to get into that.. But I never had any thoughts about Canada's place in our war with the British.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:43 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,733,109 times
The Canadians mostly held the coats of the outnumbered British regulars (many of whom were Irishmen such as the 89th Foot, later 2nd Batt. Royal Irish Fusiliers) who defeated the Americans along the border during the War of 1812. Though it must be said the American regular army increased greatly in discipline and effectiveness as the war progressed thanks to Jacob Brown and Winfield Scott (it was Scott who later captured the City of Mexico, as Grant called it.)

Old 04-13-2013, 02:03 PM

Here is a link to a Cape Gazette article showing lots of pictures of the event!
A star-spangled day: Cannons recall War of 1812 - By Ron MacArthur - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware