Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 11:21 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,293,756 times

Advertisements

[quote=goldenage1;29576882]
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
are you limited to the north ?
we recently moved from DE to Asheville/nc and I've never met so many gay people in my life. and this says something about the cultural life here
QUOTE]

The OP did say that it was mandatory that the state recognize their marriage. I think it will take North Carolina fifty years to recognize same-sex marriage. On the whole, I think Delaware is a better place for their goals.
My partner & I are thinking of relocating to DE from NC for that very reason (the anti-gay Amendment). Although we live in one of the 10 counties in NC (out of 100) that did not vote for it, we know it may not be overturned in our lifetime. We'd prefer to spend our retirement in a state where we're are all equals. That's a few years off & we'll need jobs if we do move. We're coming to visit next weekend to check it out.

One thing that does concern me about DE is the prospect that wastewater from fracking in PA may be permitted to get into the Delaware River Basin. That would be a dealbreaker for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 02:13 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
[quote=hula;29594483]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

My partner & I are thinking of relocating to DE from NC for that very reason (the anti-gay Amendment). Although we live in one of the 10 counties in NC (out of 100) that did not vote for it, we know it may not be overturned in our lifetime. We'd prefer to spend our retirement in a state where we're are all equals. That's a few years off & we'll need jobs if we do move. We're coming to visit next weekend to check it out.

One thing that does concern me about DE is the prospect that wastewater from fracking in PA may be permitted to get into the Delaware River Basin. That would be a dealbreaker for us.

I understand your concerns regarding fracking BUT, isn't that only one part of the puzzle of where to live? I am not in any way discounting your feelings, but I too had a few things that I held dear, but ultimately I made the decision that unless what I was concerned about was a current actual problem or as a retiree if it could impact me in the very near future, I felt living in De. was a far better option for us, overall that to worry about what if. Again, it is not that I do not understand your feelings just feel that the what ifs in life can paralyze us forever.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:43 PM

319 posts, read 504,386 times
Northampton, MA (and Western MA) and surrounding area are very very Lesbian friendly as well as being a fantastic place to live.
Combine progressive attitude, with 5 college/universities, critical mass population-wise, very cool small town atmosphere,
and very walkable town.

Delaware is gay-friendly, but Northampton is very Lesbian friendly.

The Thinking Housewife › Northampton, Mass: Lesbian Capital of America

Regardless of how you choose, all the best.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:37 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
This brings up a question for me. IF I don't live within the city limits of RB (nearer to Jungle Jim,is my location) am I part of the above group? I do understand the distinction but just curious.
You did a lot of research and you know exactly where you live and who will provide services. When you get out on RT1 some summer weekend I'm sure you will believe you live IN Rehoboth.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:10 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,293,756 times
[quote=nuts2uiam;29597214]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post

I understand your concerns regarding fracking BUT, isn't that only one part of the puzzle of where to live? I am not in any way discounting your feelings, but I too had a few things that I held dear, but ultimately I made the decision that unless what I was concerned about was a current actual problem or as a retiree if it could impact me in the very near future, I felt living in De. was a far better option for us, overall that to worry about what if. Again, it is not that I do not understand your feelings just feel that the what ifs in life can paralyze us forever.
I agree, but the reason fracking is a concern is my partner's family lives in NEPA and we've watched the whole thing unfold up there and what a mess it's made of things. I know there's no shangri-la, but we don't want to leave one major issue only to have to deal with another.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:23 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,349,149 times
Just wanted to let you know - my plans are to move to Maine.

Trader Joe's does exist in Portland, ME - just FYI!

Old 05-18-2013, 08:49 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
You did a lot of research and you know exactly where you live and who will provide services. When you get out on RT1 some summer weekend I'm sure you will believe you live IN Rehoboth.
We actually laughed at all the fuss over the summer traffic. As a former Long islander, that is how I drove to work daily so it doesn't really phase me. That said maybe I will feel differently after a season of "no traffic" so maybe next year I will be lamenting the traffic.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:15 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I see that so much. People buying in the Lewes or Rehoboth zip code think they are moving to Lewes or Rehoboth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj215 View Post
In our defense, it's just easier to say "Magnolia" when describing where I live instead of "This community off of this road that isn't actually in a town but part of Kent County"

It's not just a Delaware thing to live in a county and not a town. My brother does the same thing in Virginia...he lives in Fairfax County technically, but says "Herndon" if people ask. It's just easier, a county is a big place, it could mean virtually anywhere.
Two Killed in Sussex County Crash
MILLSBORO, Del.- Two people are dead after a single-vehicle crash late Saturday afternoon in Millsboro.

According to Delaware State Police, Anastasia Blavakis, 52, of Rehoboth was driving south on Oak Orchard Road, when her car veered off the road for an "undetermined reason," and slammed into a tree. Both Blavakis and her passenger, 42-year-old Steven Wright, also from Rehoboth, were pronounced dead at the scene. Police said neither of the two were properly restrained.

Traffic on Oak Orchard Road was affected for two and a half hours as troopers investigated and cleared the crash.

Using this news article to help make my point. To those of us who live here this accident happened in/at OakOrchard. Well known area which is a good 20 minute drive from the TOWN of Millsboro.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:12 AM

20 posts, read 28,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightnorth View Post
Delaware is very gay friendly. Even the gay-marriage opposition is a tolerant and accepting group, just mischaracterized by partisans that sought to vilify then. I don't think you'd have a problem being socially accepted anywhere in the state.

The beach culture is certainly in the south east. The agricultural center is just a couple miles west of that. With all the recent migration to Delaware the land supply is running out fast and private secluded places with land is in short supply. I find privacy is created with a good fence and I know people with goats and chickens living on less than an acre.

I wouldn't worry much about Jeff Christopher. We are not talking about a Joe Arpaio personality or anything. The Sussex County Sheriff receives just as much attention as anyone wants to give it. They've been pounding sand for a decade but we have a lot of sand in Delaware so I don't pay it no mind. The sheriff has no power and the council isn't going to give him any. The best part about Sussex County, for me, is the media or lack of partisan media. The big newspapers with political partisan debate comes from the north. Local newspapers are much more social, reporting on local people or local events. There is political radio up and down state but there's so many other social things to do you don't have to listen to the radio. I've lived here my whole life and I've visited 40 states, 5 continents, and 10 different countries. IMO there is no better place for a relaxin home life than the Lower Slower.
Hi Knightnorth!

Would you please inform me of the high vs. low crime towns in LSD? Also, should I need to travel north to either Kent or New Castle Counties which would be the best LSD town for easy road access? Thanks for your input.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 PM

148 posts, read 276,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Actually, Delaware is east of the Mason-Dixon line, rather than north of it. In other words, the north-south boundary of the line is technically irrelevant to Delaware. Others may disagree, but my view is that New Castle County is norther-leaning, whereas much of Sussex inclines culturally to the South (though the Upper South). That isn't true of present-day Rehoboth, of course. I get some Southern-ish vibes in Kent, though it's subtle. Given the ambiguities, Delaware can really only be classified as firmly Mid-Atlantic, IMO.
If you live in Wilmington, you live farther north than a percentage of Pennsylvanians and New Jersey folk. Where I grew up, in Little Italy, there was no part of Maryland that was west. Pennsylvania was west, and we would drive 2 hours southeast to the Jersey shore.

It's not South, and It's not West. It's on the North and East sides of the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware