Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,847 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're a 40-something couple with a 12-year-old son and are thinking of moving to the Ocean View area.

We absolutely love Bay Forest, from the houses and neighborhood, to the community amenities and proximity to the beach.

The biggest questions we have are related to our son and the demographics of year-round residents.

Our impression is that most communities are comprised of either seasonal residents or retirees. Long story short, we're concerned that there won't be any families similar to ours and no kids for our son to meet.

If the above is true, would greatly appreciate any insight as to what kind of opportunities our son might have to meet other kids his age if not in the neighborhood. If Bay Forest is more seasonal/retiree, can anyone recommend better kid-friendly communities?

I've also wondered where year-round residents work if they live in the area. (I work from home as a computer programmer, so living far from major cities is feasible, but if I were to lose my job.... it seems all major metropolitan areas are at least 2 hours away.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 06:13 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
I like Bay Forest; I ride my bike through there all the time. Yes, there are many seasonal residents there along with many retirees (pretty much describes all of Ocean View and Bethany). Bay Forest is really nice though. There are kids in there your son's age, more so during the summer but there are a few kids there year-round. I've definitely seen some playing there and riding their bikes, and I know a school bus drops some kids off there as well.

My development has about forty houses, all of which are retirees or summer homes except for three houses which have children. It's like that in every development around here. I believe Millville by the Sea was designed to attract families, but development and construction there has come to a crawl. I hear it's supposed to pick up in the future though.

Decent jobs are scarce around here. My husband and I both work for the state; I'm a high school teacher and he works in law enforcement. We won't leave our jobs because there's not much else out there for us....at least not anything that's stable and not customer-service oriented. However, I do enjoy my job even though I'd prefer to work in the science field.

Hope this helps....

Old 05-14-2013, 10:52 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
I live in the northern part of that school district (Indian River SD) I have lived here with my son since he was months old. He is now a college student. My section (Pot Nets) is retiree and vacation centered. Great place to live. My son has never wanted for kids to play/hang with. Your son will meet kids in school. Some may need rides or ride a bike but they will get together. As he gets older he will have no trouble picking up seasonal jobs for spending money.The school district offers plenty of after school activities.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,847 times
Thanks so much for your replies and insight! I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware