Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:08 PM

201 posts, read 414,404 times

Advertisements

You could try the Summit area of Middletown -- right on the other side of the border in Maryland are multiple horse farms and facilities. You'd be close to the amenities in Newark and Wilmington, not to mention the growing availability of them in Middletown itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 12:03 PM

66 posts, read 85,420 times
Thanks I will look into that area as well.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:27 PM

62 posts, read 136,606 times
Hi Bliss! I have been working in Wilmington for the last month and will be moving up from Baltimore tomorrow. I have been very impressed with how green and hilly this area is - I cannot wait to really explore. Re professional/medical jobs in the area, check out Mid-Atlantic HERC, if you haven't already. Basically, it is an HR website for research/medical jobs. Good luck with your search!

Old 05-30-2013, 01:26 PM

224 posts, read 376,883 times
Bliss, you may not be looking in the interior since there's that problem with proximity to the oceans, but the Cincinnati area might meet most of your requirements. We have a concentration of first-rate hospitals, lower than average cost of living, varied topography from flat to hilly, and plenty of green. Folks working downtown but not up for urban living can locate either in Southwest Ohio or Northern Kentucky, and in either direction you'll find small farms, boarding stables, show facilities and plenty of equestrians. My wife rides English (hunter/jumper) but there is a lot of Western hereabouts too. In the event that Delaware doesn't work out, you might have a look at this area - and in any event, good luck in finding your new part of the world.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl3133 View Post
Hi Bliss! I have been working in Wilmington for the last month and will be moving up from Baltimore tomorrow. I have been very impressed with how green and hilly this area is - I cannot wait to really explore. Re professional/medical jobs in the area, check out Mid-Atlantic HERC, if you haven't already. Basically, it is an HR website for research/medical jobs. Good luck with your search!
Thanks! Will check out the site. Whats your thoughts on Baltimore, I have a friend who keeps pushing it but Ive heard lots of neg things.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SW Ohio View Post
Bliss, you may not be looking in the interior since there's that problem with proximity to the oceans, but the Cincinnati area might meet most of your requirements. We have a concentration of first-rate hospitals, lower than average cost of living, varied topography from flat to hilly, and plenty of green. Folks working downtown but not up for urban living can locate either in Southwest Ohio or Northern Kentucky, and in either direction you'll find small farms, boarding stables, show facilities and plenty of equestrians. My wife rides English (hunter/jumper) but there is a lot of Western hereabouts too. In the event that Delaware doesn't work out, you might have a look at this area - and in any event, good luck in finding your new part of the world.
Thanks Scott!

Old 05-30-2013, 10:59 PM

62 posts, read 136,606 times
I am born and raised in Baltimore. I grew up in the county, lived in the city briefly when I was 16 and my mom and step-dad were renovating our house to accommodate a blended family. I returned to city living the first chance I got. If you are looking to live in horse country, you would likely be living in one of the counties surrounding. Note that the commute from any of those places will likely be in the 45-60 minute range, even if the distance is not great -- rush hour traffic is horrendous, no matter which direction you are traveling from. If you want to live downtown and stable the horse, that is doable. I have a friend who does that. There are lots of very cool spots to live downtown: Bolton Hill, Harbor East, Fells Point, Canton, Federal Hill, and Locust Point, to name a few. We have several universities, two major teaching/research hospitals, and there are probably a dozen or so regional hospitals. Baltimore is a great location because we are 2 hours from mountains and about 3 from the beach. However, if you are into sailing or other water sports and need quick access to water, there are marinas and boat launches all over the place. You may be concerned about crime...I would say don't be. Not that it doesn't exist, because we certainly have our share. I've lived downtown in a transitional area, but I haven't had a problem. People hear about violence on TV, but the fact is that there are a whole lot of people living in the city who have never had so much as a funky look from someone, let alone been a victim of crime. It totally depends on your level of comfort. My brother lives in Juneau now, but did brief stints in Vail, Durango, and Denver. He hates coming back east: too many people and too many opportunities for crime. It is pretty vanilla where he lives, so when he told me there was a flasher in his local Wallyworld and how he didn't want his wife/daughter going there, I had to chuckle to myself. I just didn't think it was a big deal. It was all about perspective. Hope this helps.

Check out: www.livebaltimore.com

For crime info - any address in US, I believe: www.spotcrime.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware