Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 07:15 PM

13,036 posts, read 17,946,799 times

Advertisements

Mary raises the same points I was going to if the OP answered the age and full or part time question but since he has not I will elaborate on what Mary has said and take it steps further. If the Saks and Gucci and similar stores are important to you then Dewey is not for you. While there are many fine restaurants in Dewey and around the surrounding areas if you enjoy places such as Nick and Toni's where the celebs hang to be noticed they are not to be found here. Not a comment on the food at all, some of which is fabulous here, rather a comment on the people and the general attitude that to me is a welcome change from LI.

The sidewalks literally roll up the day after Labor day in Dewey while there is something always going on in the Hampton's, East and South, year round. There is always a gallery opening or fundraiser to save the last remaining green penny or some such thing.

To add to RDR's comments, although I have only been here 2 1/2 months, we did a lot of looking and if neighbors are important to you, be advised that many of the homes on beach blocks are rental units and you may well have a new neighbor every week.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 06-11-2013 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 04:50 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,531,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Yes, you are right, Mary. Never heard of the place. But then, there are plenty out there who've never heard of Delaware and don't even know Delaware is a State. When my parents owned mom & pop stores up and down Rt. 13 in Delaware, New Yorkers would stop to buy cigarettes and gasoline as they traveled through. I would hide behind the counter just to hear the NYers talk. New York, to us as kids, was some faraway, wildly bad place we never wanted to go.

That was in the 40's when New York potato farmers started settling in Delaware....low taxes, cheap land, lots of open space......etc.
rdlr,

You and I are probably the only two people left that remember when Long Island was known for the LI potato! And you are right, land became too expensive and farmers resettled to Delaware. But, I do remember in the 50's how after the fields were harvested my parents would take us 4 kids over to gather the potatos the machines missed. We would come home with a few hundred pounds of potatos that were put in the cold celler for the coming winter. That was considered a family outing! Potatos lasted us through Spring of the following year.

As for a NY accent or more specifcally a Springs or East Hampton accent you probably never heard a Bonacker talk! Very different from the rest of NY. (See the link below)

Bonackers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My mother was born in Springs (near East Hampton) and eventually moved to the town of East Hampton. Whenever my family visited my grandfather (a commercial fisherman) we were exposed to the Bonacker dialect. To this day my older brother still uses some of the Bonacker dialect he picked up as a kid around the commercial fishing docks.

To the OP - sorry this post has gone off topic - but, it has brought back a flood of memories of East Hampton and what it was like in the 50's!

Mary2014

Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 AM

407 posts, read 961,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche060 View Post
I’m looking for a vacation home of about 600k, either in Dewey Beach or East Hampton. I was wondering if others have faced the choice between the two, as I’m equal distance from either. Right now I’m leaning toward Dewey but written out some pro/cons for each.

Dewey Beach:
-Can get a 4 bedroom Ocean Block condo, possibly with community pool.
Pros:
-Very walkable, once you are there, no car needed.
-More Centrally Located (2 hrs to DC, 3 hrs to NYC, 1 ¼ to Baltimore/Philly)
-No Sales Tax, No Property Tax, Only a County Tax
-Condo will be less than Ocean Front places (worth 1-2M) but a fit within community

Cons:
-Dead in Fall-Early Spring
-Recent Break-ins
-Unsettled Town Council situation + LightHouse Condos Could Be in Limbo

Hamptons
-Can get a 3 bedroom house with heated outdoor pool, 2 miles from beach.
Pros:
-Able to get Private House with Heated Pool
-Things to do Year Round
-Likely to get more families if decide to rent out

Cons:
-Sales tax of 8.63%
- 2 Miles to beach, need to possibly drive.
-Everything very spread out, so designated drivers or cabs needed.
-House will be much less than median price (compared to multi-million dollar houses all around)
-Property Taxes of 5k/yr, likely to increase
-Isolated as only entry is via Long Island

I live on Long Island, lived in the NY area all of my 55 years. I plan to move to DE as soon as possible, hopefully no more than another year or two. Your property tax figure sounds very low for East Hampton, and this is NY...it is not "likely to increase"...IT WILL INCREASE at incredible rates at times. That's just the way it is in NY, plus you get killed on other nittpicky things in NY. I went to drop off some used motor oil at our town ecology site yesterday, used to be free. Now it's $5 every time you go. So the taxes go up AND they find other ways to tax you on top of that. I am firmly anti NY these days and want out soon because it is not getting better and frankly there is no light at the end of the tunnel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware