Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 PM

8 posts, read 29,343 times

Advertisements

My husband, 1 year old and I are relocating from LI, NY We want to be about 2.5 hours from NY so we can easily travel back and forth to see family. How is the Christiana area? We looked at some developments, we want to rent first. We found a place called Barrett's Run. Any info on Christiana or Barrett's Run would be appreciated. Crime, shopping, etc... We aren't worried about schools since the move is somewhat temporary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 06:57 PM

903 posts, read 3,505,461 times
We were just in that area this afternoon for the 5 pm rush... seems pretty busy but you probably wouldn't mind that coming from LI. I think there are other posters more knowledgeable than I... hopefully, they will pipe in soon.

Mary

Old 11-08-2007, 06:32 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,039 times
Well, The little I know about the Christiana area is favorable. If you move is only temporary, I'm sure it would be okay.
Unless,
someone else has something on Christian area.
Like Mary, I have driven through and maybe stopped at an applebees. It looks nice and busy. Lots of stores, racetrack and developments.
So, If you would not mind the hustle and bustle, you would be fine.
Also,
Check the statistics on city day for the crime rating and so forth.
Just click on city data and type in the zip code then a ton of info will come up about the area.
good luck

Old 11-08-2007, 07:40 AM

699 posts, read 2,895,069 times
I usually stop at the Christiana Mall on my way to PA.
J.C. Penney and Macy's are the anchor stores and there is also Circuit City, Costco , Don Pablos and Houlihans restaurants. The jammos are usually at the I95 interchange there so I take a breather and stop in the mall before I have to hit that 95 mess. .. I can usually kill and hour in the Penney store alone. It is a nice size and has lots of inventory and sales....

Old 11-08-2007, 10:45 AM

199 posts, read 938,313 times
Elizamary,

You love everything about Delaware (except, of course, the Wilmington train station). You don't have a negative bone in your body. I'm beginning to think you're on happy pills.
You never did tell me where in Maine your daughter lives. Is it a secret?

Old 11-08-2007, 11:14 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
The main problem living in the Christiana area, which is beautiful, is that there is a small mall there with a Boscov's and they plan to expand that area. Be aware that traffic is already heavy and it will continue to increase. The residents in that area are not happy.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:26 PM

903 posts, read 3,505,461 times
That mall is pretty big already... and they are expanding??? It has been many moons ago since I have been at the Christiana Mall (or whatever it is called), at least inside. But driving by and around it, it does seem rather large. Personally, I am not much of a mall shopper; I'd rather go to a specific store (or two or ten). Guess that goes back to my working in a mall almost as many moons ago!

I'll have to keep the Christiana Mall secret from my 16 yr old daughter, who will be in for Thanksgiving. She'll have me traipsing all the way to Newark, which is NOT what I'd like to do on Black Friday! Sounds like a great place to hit after New Years though!

Mary

Old 11-08-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeaz View Post
Elizamary,

You love everything about Delaware (except, of course, the Wilmington train station). You don't have a negative bone in your body. I'm beginning to think you're on happy pills.
You never did tell me where in Maine your daughter lives. Is it a secret?

Peeweeaz..........happy pills are the best thing ever LOL
Seriously, I'm not always happy. You should ask bill
I can be a little son of gun, if you know what I mean.

I just can't see the logic in complaining all the time. There is good and bad in all and we really have to adjust the best we can.
In my community, there are people that complain about everything and anything.
Yet,

they knew what was at stake when they moved in. They complain about how the grass is cut, if the pool has a piece of dirt, they complain cuz they need to tend to their garden themselves (which is not that big to begin with)
Yet, the lot rent here is very reasonable compared to other communities. We had been looking and comparing.
Yet
If they want more done and this and that, it will cost more money. Then they will really complain.
I just think this is how some people connect with other people at times. Get together and complain. All it is is bull crap.
Don't get me wrong, a ligitement complain is understandable but they complain about everything. Not all but some and this does get on my nerves if i have to listen to it day in day out.
Maybe I should start handing out my happy pills

Good to see you posting.

My daughter lives in Kittery Maine right over the bridge from Portsmouth NH.
Lovely area where she lives but kind of remote and very cold now.
I don't mind the cold weather but she hates it. What a place to live, huh?

Old 11-09-2007, 03:29 PM

199 posts, read 938,313 times
Eliza,
Your daughter is quite a distance from my neighbors. Why do you think I'm in AZ! Maryland wx isn't as cold as Maine's, but I still didn't like the cold. I think as you get older, the blood slows down in the arteries and veins. Takes longer to warm up. Kids can stay out all day and once they come into the house, it takes them no time to warm up. That little heart of theirs is pumping up a storm. My dad was temporarily stationed at Portsmouth Naval Air Station during WWII. (Take that Mary!) I lived there for a little while, but don't remember any of it.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeaz View Post
Eliza,
: My dad was temporarily stationed at Portsmouth Naval Air Station during WWII. (Take that Mary!) I lived there for a little while, but don't remember any of it.
Just a babe then huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware