Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 08:06 PM

11 posts, read 20,443 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We are currently looking at a house that has a pool. I have never wanted a pool and it was definitely a big minus when we saw this house. But nearly everything else about it is perfect. So I wanted to know if anyone who has a pool that has people come in to service it come share how much they pay for pool maintenance? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 09:28 PM

319 posts, read 502,048 times
jjchoyc,

As someone who loves to swim (swam competitively in high school and college), we decided to stay away from a
home with a pool. My reasoning was that any home pool that I could have wouldn't compare to what I could access at
a YMCA or swim club.

On the flip side, if you are adventurous, that pool would make one hell of a back-yard fish farm :-)

Old 07-10-2013, 04:40 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,165,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post
jjchoyc,

On the flip side, if you are adventurous, that pool would make one hell of a back-yard fish farm :-)
Interesting idea.Just make sure it is securly fenced to protect inquiring little ones.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Interesting idea.Just make sure it is securly fenced to protect inquiring little ones.
Yes! Definitely will be fencing it ASAP. I have a baby that only toddles right now, but I know that walking isn't far away!

newmassphd, I completely agree with you! I really WISH this house did not have a pool. But we do not have a lot of other choices as the other houses that we saw would require a LOT more work (and money!). Unless something crops up very quickly, we might just have to deal with this pool and make the best of it.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:38 AM

25 posts, read 47,981 times
We bought a house in No Va with an existing swimming pool. Like you, we loved the house and the pool came with it. I used to manage public pools (and teach swimming lessons) as a summer job when I was in college and so I figured maintenance would be easy. It turned out to be more work than I ever imagined, and cost a bundle. Our area is heavily wooded and after a storm I had to go dip acorns, hickory nuts, leaves, branches, frogs, mice, and the occasional snake out of the pool. After that it would need to be shock chlorinated, backwashed daily, makeup water added, and you couldn't swim for a week due to the chlorine.

Between the electricity, chemicals, opening, closing, propane heater, and occasional replacement parts the pool consistently cost about $2000/year to own. Oh, I almost forgot the new $2000 fence, the $500 replacement pump motor, and the custom $5000 winter pool safety cover.

If you have small kids maybe they and their friends will get good use out of pool and it will be worth it. My wife and I didn't use the pool that much and we figured out it was costing us around $100+ for each swim. Finally the deck started falling apart and that was the last straw....we filled the pool in last year and have never regretted it! That was another $6000, but he new deck would have cost at least that much.

Your milage may vary, but the above is just another data point to consider.
Attached Thumbnails
Pool Maintenance Costs?-2.jpg  

Old 07-21-2013, 07:10 PM

Rute Boye, thank you SO much for this post! My husband and I were already pretty iffy on this house, but with all of the replies on this thread, we're positive that we do NOT want a pool. Reading about the frogs, mice and snakes that ended up in your pool just... EW. OMG, thank you for sharing that tidbit because there is NO way that I could handle seeing that in my pool!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rute boye View Post
We bought a house in No Va with an existing swimming pool. Like you, we loved the house and the pool came with it. I used to manage public pools (and teach swimming lessons) as a summer job when I was in college and so I figured maintenance would be easy. It turned out to be more work than I ever imagined, and cost a bundle. Our area is heavily wooded and after a storm I had to go dip acorns, hickory nuts, leaves, branches, frogs, mice, and the occasional snake out of the pool. After that it would need to be shock chlorinated, backwashed daily, makeup water added, and you couldn't swim for a week due to the chlorine.

Between the electricity, chemicals, opening, closing, propane heater, and occasional replacement parts the pool consistently cost about $2000/year to own. Oh, I almost forgot the new $2000 fence, the $500 replacement pump motor, and the custom $5000 winter pool safety cover.

If you have small kids maybe they and their friends will get good use out of pool and it will be worth it. My wife and I didn't use the pool that much and we figured out it was costing us around $100+ for each swim. Finally the deck started falling apart and that was the last straw....we filled the pool in last year and have never regretted it! That was another $6000, but he new deck would have cost at least that much.

Your milage may vary, but the above is just another data point to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware