Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 08:33 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,017,427 times

Advertisements

*knock knock*
...tentatively steps into the Off-Topic thread...

I wanted to let you know, I appreciate all of the reports and DMs for that thread about not liking Delaware. I tend to have a more liberal view of what is okay to post (I am from New Jersey - if you have seen the NJ forum you'll understand), and of course I have to follow the Terms of Service, but I also want to respect everyone's feelings here, too. If you don't like what is posted here, absolutely report it, or DM me.

elizamary, you see I moved your "burning the midnight oil" post here...I know you know why and it's not a big deal from my end. I know you're having fun and it's all good. I hope no offense is taken.

On a lighter note, I wanted to ask you folks a question. Most of the other state forums have a Photo Thread stuck to the tops of their forum, and members post their own photos of their town, local attractions, etc. I think it would be great if Delaware had one, it's a terrific way to show off your favorite spots. But is anyone interested in taking/sharing pictures? If so, let's start one; if not, I won't bother.

Have a great night.
Christina

Old 03-04-2008, 09:53 PM

55 posts, read 181,221 times
After almost a year of planning to come to Delaware to look over some 55+ developments, I just found out I have the week off in April that I requested from my employer. I will be in Delaware for just under a week, will spend the weekend in Atlantic City, then probably take the Cape May ferry to Lewes, and spend a day or so in that area, then up to Dover, which is the area I am most interested in relocating to. I just finished a Delaware travel guide I got in the mail and read of some good restaurants and places to see. Any suggestions from posters will be welcome as I have not been in Delaware in over 20 years.

I appreciate all the comments on this site as I have learned a lot about my (possible) future home.

Eileen in CT.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:06 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,627,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada49 View Post
After almost a year of planning to come to Delaware to look over some 55+ developments, I just found out I have the week off in April that I requested from my employer. I will be in Delaware for just under a week, will spend the weekend in Atlantic City, then probably take the Cape May ferry to Lewes, and spend a day or so in that area, then up to Dover, which is the area I am most interested in relocating to. I just finished a Delaware travel guide I got in the mail and read of some good restaurants and places to see. Any suggestions from posters will be welcome as I have not been in Delaware in over 20 years.

I appreciate all the comments on this site as I have learned a lot about my (possible) future home.

Eileen in CT.
Hi Eileen.......I am a transplant from Pa and have lived in DE for 1 year now.
We live in a 55+ community in Magnolia.
There are quite a few in and around the Dover area Southen Meadows, Wild Meadows, Barclay farms and Nobles Pond.

If you have not been in DE for 20 years, It is safe to say you will find it changed a lot.
In fact, people tell me it has changed drastically in the past 10 years.
There are a few places we have eaten in that we enjoyed.
Where Pigs fly, countrie eaterie, Lobby House, Halls family restaurant, Magnolia Diner and Applebees.
Also, Down in Harrington there is a great buffett.
There are many of us here that are not true delawarians. This state seems to be the new Florida.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:14 PM

QUOTE=christina0001;3033683]*knock knock*

come on in Christina

...elizamary, you see I moved your "burning the midnight oil" post here...I know you know why and it's not a big deal from my end. I know you're having fun and it's all good. I hope no offense is taken.

No offense taken. I do understand. And thanks for putting it in off topic

On a lighter note, I wanted to ask you folks a question. Most of the other state forums have a Photo Thread stuck to the tops of their forum, and members post their own photos of their town, local attractions, etc. I think it would be great if
Christina, this is a great idea. I wouldn't know what to do but I'm sure if someone explains, I can figure it out.

Christina[/quote]

Old 03-05-2008, 05:52 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,017,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Christina, this is a great idea. I wouldn't know what to do but I'm sure if someone explains, I can figure it out.
Here's an example, this is Hawaii's photo thread.
//www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...ures-only.html

What you do is, you take pictures of local places. You then post them here. I am not an expert on this, but when I've posted pictures on City-Data, I took the pictures with my digital camera, uploaded them to photobucket.com, and then used the URL from photobucket to post the pictures here.

Here's a photo thread I did of New Jersey's state capital, Trenton:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...=photo+trenton

This is a great way of showing people how nice Delaware is. You don't have to be a great photographer. You might take pictures of your local park, of your favorite pizzeria, or of a particular local attraction. You post the picture with a description. For people who are considering moving to Delaware, this can be really helpful and reassuring.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:04 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,367,991 times
Christina, thank you for the idea and for the links, I've seen some pictures posted on other sites but hadn't seen either of those. While reading (on C-D or elsewhere) about an area helps, actually seeing the photos gives one a better feel for an area when physically getting there isn't all that easy (especially when one is considering several locations) and navigating thru various forum topics isn't that simple either, especially if something is rather lengthy. Thanks again for the info.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Here's an example, this is Hawaii's photo thread.
//www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...ures-only.html

What you do is, you take pictures of local places. You then post them here. I am not an expert on this, but when I've posted pictures on City-Data, I took the pictures with my digital camera, uploaded them to photobucket.com, and then used the URL from photobucket to post the pictures here.

Here's a photo thread I did of New Jersey's state capital, Trenton:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...=photo+trenton

This is a great way of showing people how nice Delaware is. You don't have to be a great photographer. You might take pictures of your local park, of your favorite pizzeria, or of a particular local attraction. You post the picture with a description. For people who are considering moving to Delaware, this can be really helpful and reassuring.

Oh my.........those were great pictures. Hawaii was like being on a split second vacation.
Trenton pictures were great too........so clear and vivid.

Now I get the idea and have some thing in mind.

I really wished I had my camera yesterday. riding along the Amish section of Dover, it was so beautiful.
riding the country roads, green pastures filled with goats (so cute), horses and cows, Amish buggies driving on the road, Amish people hustling and bustling with their kids, ponds on the horizon, rolling hills and perfect weather.
I was driving back from meeting the girls and had to take a moment to stop and enjoy the scenery which was soo peaceful and serene.

that is one place I want to take my camera and get some shots. This area is so differse and each section has its own charm. Correct me if I am wrong but I think the Amish are in West Dover??? Not sure what that is called but it really brings you back in time.

Thanks for taking the time to give us the photo idea.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:16 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,005,160 times
Quote:
I really wished I had my camera yesterday. riding along the Amish section of Dover, it was so beautiful. Riding the country roads, green pastures filled with goats (so cute), horses and cows, Amish buggies driving on the road, Amish people hustling and bustling with their kids, ponds on the horizon, rolling hills and perfect weather.
Those would be wonderful pictures! I think a picture section would be a great idea to really show some of the beautiful spots in the state.

In addition to what you describe, there is are also potential pictures at the beach, at Brandywine, at the riverfront in Wilmington, etc.

Charley

Old 03-06-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Those would be wonderful pictures! I think a picture section would be a great idea to really show some of the beautiful spots in the state.

In addition to what you describe, there is are also potential pictures at the beach, at Brandywine, at the riverfront in Wilmington, etc.

Charley
Definately Charley. I dont' get to wilmington much and you know how I feel about Wilmington.
Brandywine is fabulous and of course the beaches. The bay beach and the ocean beach. There are newer communities and older communities.
Smyrna, Milford and so many others that are chock full of charm.
Mr Bill and I will be getting out and about more that the weather is breaking and I will have my camera on hand at ALL times.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:09 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,005,160 times
Quote:
We will definate give Dover family restaurant a shot. Maybe next week.

Hey.......would the gang like to meet there instead of Pigs. Just a thought. I do think once in a while.
See how nicely I slid this over to Off-Topic? I'm learning.

I did promise my son Pigs when we all met, so I'd kinda like to keep it there if at all possible. I hope that's OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware