Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 10:21 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
rdlr, . What are we going to transform that old house into, by the way?

Interesting discussion of the bay beaches. I've never known, in 30+ years living in Delaware, of Bowers or Slaughter as destinations for wading or swimming. Most people head to the ocean beaches in my experience.

But the bay beaches sometimes have interesting natural detritus to discover. Horseshoe crabs have been around for millions of years and are important in their own way. Along our bay beaches, certain birds count on them, or their eggs, and some bird species have been reduced as fishermen have taken huge numbers of the crabs for bait. I think that's somewhat regulated now.

I hope everyone is having a pleasant holiday weekend!
Well, Annie.....I'm thinking the 3 of us can swing this! Actually, I thought a Brew Pub, but that's a little too....too....whatever, for the area. Then I thought a Bed & Breakfast, but none of the 3 of us want to work that hard. Then I thought of an Italian Restaurant, like AnneMarie's down in the Rehoboth area. So, I don't know. How about after we count our investment capital, we decide on that????

I never heard of wading/swimming in the Bowers Beach/Slaughter's Beach water, either. They are fishing communities. Besides, a lot of that beach is private and there are signs posted. Frenchie would know, the mayor. You can find him at Frenchie's Dock.

You're right about horseshoe crabs.....also, a very important species used for research, I'm told. There was talk a few years ago of putting them on the endangered species list, but I think the population increased, reducing the danger of extinction. They really are a treasure.

I'll be outta here for awhile....the party season is in full swing in our Town, with 2 parties this month and 2 next month. So, I'm working my day job (both day and night) cooking, freezing, and ordering food trays from Pizzadilli's, reserving tables/chairs/linens/fountains from the rental store, preparing all I can in advance, weeding my flower beds, hanging my Chinese lanterns, getting my tent and umbrellas ready to go up, and sending invitations to the towns people. It's Fun Time here in this small town. Life is Good!

Last edited by rdlr; 07-08-2008 at 10:44 AM..

Old 07-08-2008, 01:43 PM

392 posts, read 990,930 times
Am I to suppose that this is not true....................?????

[SIZE=3]town of slaughter beach comprehensive land use plan[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Recreation[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Slaughter Beach is a public beach. There is a park for local residents with a tennis court and children’s recreation equipment that is often used by the general public. There is a public pavilion, which can be used from dawn to dusk. There are public rest rooms that are currently maintained by the Town from March through November that are in need of improvement. [/SIZE]

Old 07-08-2008, 01:56 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleM View Post
Am I to suppose that this is not true....................?????

[SIZE=3]town of slaughter beach comprehensive land use plan[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Recreation[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Slaughter Beach is a public beach. There is a park for local residents with a tennis court and children’s recreation equipment that is often used by the general public. There is a public pavilion, which can be used from dawn to dusk. There are public rest rooms that are currently maintained by the Town from March through November that are in need of improvement. [/SIZE]
Hi CaroleM,
That sounds good. I may be going there myself next week. I have talked to some residents at Bowers beach and there are some that use this beach for swimming. We met a couple last year that have a home off the beach for the summer. They say they bring the grand kids down and they love swiming there.

I am curious to check out Slaughter beach though. The homes in that area are very nice. We drove through last year.

Maybe I will see you there

Take care..........

Oh and yes, I'm into smileys now. Aren't they just the cutest

Old 07-08-2008, 02:04 PM

392 posts, read 990,930 times
LOL.............I just love your smiling surfers......cute cute.

Bower's is public in that one opening to the beach/water and there are signs that say it is and dogs are allowed. We renamed it BowWow beach...........

Old 07-08-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleM View Post
LOL.............I just love your smileing surfers......cute cute.

Bower's is public in that one opening to the beach/water and there are signs that say it is and dogs are allowed. We renamed it BowWow beach...........
HI CaroleM...........Great to see you today

Yeah, I'm into these cute little smileys now and having a load of fun with them too. LOL......

Yes, Bowers is public. After that big parking lot, we walked throught he opening to the beach and have talked to some of the residents walking their dogs or bringing their grand kids to the beach. They say it gets crowded. I love the new name............bow wow!!!!

Old 07-08-2008, 03:53 PM

44 posts, read 166,393 times
"Oh and yes, I'm into smileys now. Aren't they just the cutest"

Be careful with Smiley Central. It has you install MYWEBSEARCH toolbar. All antispyware software that I'm aware of blocks it as spyware/adware.
What FunWebProducts (the parent company of Smiley Central) actually does - as do a lot of other adware and spyware products - is to make it difficult to uninstall the software as well as hijack your browser by setting your home page to point to other sites. Worse still, FunWebProducts attempts to reset the browser home page should you dare to try to change it.

The consequences of adware and spyware in Windows systems are serious and the more desktops you have to manage the worse it gets. These programs can cause browsers to perform slowly, can degrade overall system performance, and can damage Windows configurations. They can also cause other applications to misbehave.

Bill

Last edited by Billfmbh; 07-08-2008 at 04:40 PM..

Old 07-08-2008, 04:15 PM

[quote=Billfmbh;4380407]"Oh and yes, I'm into smileys now. Aren't they just the cutest"

Be careful with Smiley Central. It has you install MYWEBSEARCH toolbar. All antispyware software that I'm aware of blocks it as spyware/adware.
What FunWebProducts (the parent company of Smiley Central) actually does - as do a lot of other adware and spyware products - is to make it difficult to uninstall the software as well as hijack your browser by setting your home page to point to other sites. Worse still, FunWebProducts attempts to reset the browser home page should you dare to try to change it.

The consequences of adware and spyware in Windows systems are serious and the more desktops you have to manage the worse it gets. These programs can cause browsers to perform slowly, can degrade overall system performance, and can damage Windows configurations. They can also cause other applications to misbehave.

Bill
Moderator cut: edit

Hi Bill,

I may need your expertise. I will PM you or check out your webpage. Are you in the dover area now?

Last edited by christina0001; 07-09-2008 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: advertising link removed

Old 07-08-2008, 04:17 PM

[quote=Billfmbh;4380407]"Oh and yes, I'm into smileys now. Aren't they just the cutest"

Bill
Moderator cut: edit

Oh and thanks. I put the website in my favorites.

Last edited by christina0001; 07-09-2008 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: advertising link removed

Old 07-08-2008, 04:38 PM

44 posts, read 166,393 times
We'll be in Delaware full time as of August 1st! Yippeeeeeee!!!!!

Oops! I don't think I was supposed to link to my website in here. Sorry! If you need help, PM me.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfmbh View Post
We'll be in Delaware full time as of August 1st! Yippeeeeeee!!!!!

Oops! I don't think I was supposed to link to my website in here. Sorry! If you need help, PM me.

Bill, thank you so much for the warning. I deleted those silly fun things from my toolbar and the pc seems faster.

I will need you expertise when you get here though. There are a few things I want looked at.
I have you web page in my favorites.
I put it in my fav just in case the moderator were to edited you post.
Thanks again and happy moving
Oh and we will be glad to have you in Kent county
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware