Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 10:54 AM

302 posts, read 182,447 times

Advertisements

We settled the end of January on a new home (2200 sq ft) in Lewes DE. One of our requirements was that it have natural gas because it is less expensive. To my surprise my first bill covering February was $215.00 and we haven't even moved in!! Chesapeake Utilities charges GSR or Gas Sales Service Rate in addition to CCF's used. Our most recent gas bill for our drafty townhouse in Montgomery County MD was $108 for the same time period. Was anyone else surprised at how much natural gas is here? Are electric heat and propane heat as high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 11:46 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
Based on my personal experience with rental houses I would have advised you to use any option rather than Chesapeake Utilities. Wait until you need repairs.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:51 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
Is that minimum billing. In other words a flat cost regardless of usage.

Would like to hear more about Chesapeake Utilities Natural Gas as I am considering Lewes. Many thanks !!

Old 03-15-2015, 06:30 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,658 times
Propane is really high as well. I'm surprised you have natural gas in Lewes as most homes down here have to use propane. Propane burns hotter, so you get a little more for your money but it's really expensive. Since its manufactured from oil you would think the price would of came down a bit, but it didn't.

Heat pumps with some kind of gas backup is the way to go, electricity, although expensive per kilowatt hour, is still cheaper than using gas or oil full time.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:33 AM

It is based on usage. Our bill includes a customer charge $31.75. I assume this will be every month because we have already paid a $35 start up fee. Our actual usage is only about $33.00. The GSR (gas sales service rate) is $149.66 and is based on 1.069 for 140 CCFs that were used. On the back of the bill it says "the GSR represents the cost of natural gas received from our suppliers. The GSR goes up if our suppliers charge us more. It goes down if they charge us less. You are charged a GSR for only the gas you use." Total bill was $214.42.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:00 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
Jeepers, I would not have thought of this either. In my search I have told my realtor I want NG. Many thanks for getting back to me.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:32 AM

I just spoke to Chesapeake Utilities about my bill. The $31.75 customer charge will be billed every month. This pays for service to the lines, meter checks, etc. The GSR ($149.66) should hopefully go down in the future as Lewes is in the process of getting natural gas to more and more areas. The few homes that currently have natural gas are paying the total cost to get the gas here. Hopefully as more and more homes are hooked up to natural gas the cost of delivery will go down.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:20 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times
OP,
Not sure natural gas is worth it to most people unless you are also using it to heat hot water, run a gas dryer and gas stove as well as your source of heat for 5 months out of the year.

I am presently using a duel fuel heat pump, where the heat pump handles the heating above 40 degrees and it automatically switches to propane when the temperature goes below 40 degrees. I also use propane for hot water, but, with a tankless water heater my propane costs are only about $6 per month during the non heating season. So, why would I want to pay and additional $31.75 per month during the off season for a natural gas hookup?

Since I live in a community where there is one large propane tank about 1/2 mile away and each condo has a metered propane line, our HOA negotiated roughly a 33% discount off of the average residential propane prices - making the cost to heat with propane much more economical for our community. Because we have metered propane lines we don't have to worry about scheduling a propane delivery, nor do we have to pay for it up front. We get a monthly bill for what we use and there is no monthly additional fee.

I recently met a couple who just moved into a single family home which was about 10 years old. The house was being heated with propane and they have individual propane tanks. They chose to update to a duel fuel heat pump as well.

If natural gas should become an option in the future, my installer said that my duel fuel heat pump can easily be converted to use natural gas instead of propane. But, with the monthly service fee for natural gas I don't see much of a cost savings as compared to heating with a duel fuel heat pump. Perhaps if all of your appliances are gas appliances it might make a difference.

Mary2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware