Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 11:50 AM

820 posts, read 1,209,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Very bad advice, to put it mildly. No need to pay the costs of tolls and fuel to live so far away from Wilmington. The City of Wilmington is a very small area and is surrounded by quite safe suburbs that are generically called "Wilmington" even though these are not within the small area within the city limits. Moreover, there are decent neighborhoods within the City itself. Claymont is sketchy, as is much of New Castle. I don't know why this poster is providing such bad input. Likewise, the adjacent areas of New Jersey are not particularly desirable.
Excuse me who are you to say this? I have lived in the Delaware area my whole life. Try sending your kids to those "safe" surrounding suburbs schools, that's a joke. Oh wait your from Greenville, you probably send your kids to private, hmm I wonder why? Your input is futile, an ez pass plan costs $50 a month I guess that's too much for you? I'd choose the safe neighborhoods and public schools of, South Jersey, over Delaware, any day of the week. The only place worth living in Wilmington, would be Trolly Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 02:49 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
Your opinion ignores City of Wimington areas such as The Highlands, Wawaset Park, Forty Acres, Westmoreland, Union Park Gardens, Happy Valley, and others. One can rent apts in North Wilmington and Greenville if one is single and not wanting a great deal of space. There are also houses to rent in Westovrr Hills if one can afford the rent and wants a house close to the City. In North Wilmington there is a great deal of choice, and I have barely scratched the surface.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:09 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
Excuse me who are you to say this? I have lived in the Delaware area my whole life. Try sending your kids to those "safe" surrounding suburbs schools, that's a joke. Oh wait your from Greenville, you probably send your kids to private, hmm I wonder why? Your input is futile, an ez pass plan costs $50 a month I guess that's too much for you? I'd choose the safe neighborhoods and public schools of, South Jersey, over Delaware, any day of the week. The only place worth living in Wilmington, would be Trolly Square.
While you are entitled to your views, I also strongly disagree with this advice. Reside on the other side of the river and commute in daily? Not even mentioning paying NJ taxes for the privilege of doing so.

Sorry - ain't buying this one.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:38 AM

8 posts, read 13,485 times
Quote:
I would work in Wilmington but not live there. I'd suggest getting an ez-pass, and living in NJ right over the bridge the quality of life is by far that of what Delaware has too offer. If you decide to stay in DE id suggest Bear, Newark, and some parts of New castle. Maybe even Claymont if you can afford a decent place.
Chiming in to tell OP that this is terrible advice, as well. Just...no. Claymont and New Castle are not nice. Parts of Newark are gross. (but I don't know much about Bear)

OP- in the city of Wilmington try Trolley Square and Cool Springs. Not sketchy int he least. Go to Greenville if you can afford it. In the burbs- North Wilmington/Brandywine Hundred is a good bet as well as Hockessin. They're just nice, normal middle class suburbs...pretty convenient to anything.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:19 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,220 times
Well I'm not racist so thats probably why I disagree with the other posters. Most likely they are pure white, and have a non diverse background. I'm mixed, and represent the true face of Delaware which has a large black population, don't move here if your racist, you won't last long sorry. Have fun hiding in Greenville guys the truth is your afraid to send your kids to Delaware public school because your kids will be made fun of and picked on.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:46 PM

8 posts, read 13,485 times
Quote:
Well I'm not racist so thats probably why I disagree with the other posters. Most likely they are pure white, and have a non diverse background. I'm mixed, and represent the true face of Delaware which has a large black population, don't move here if your racist, you won't last long sorry. Have fun hiding in Greenville guys the truth is your afraid to send your kids to Delaware public school because your kids will be made fun of and picked on.
yes, because now i'm racist since i told someone not to move to claymont. to be (probably too) honest, i was going to mention that claymont is pretty white trashy, but i decided that would be uncouth. but since i'm a big ol' racist, according to you, why not let it alllll hang out?

Old 05-07-2014, 07:05 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
sjdemak, I'm a gay Anglo man married to an Hispanic guy. I've lived in places that were a lot less "white" than Greenville or Delaware in general, both with much higher Hispanic and African-American populations. My partner and I have been in Delaware - and Greenville - less than a full seven years at this point. I suspect we both have considerably more experience of a diversity of places and life experiences than do you.

And I'm not hiding my kids in private schools, because ---- I DON'T HAVE KIDS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware