Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 06:55 PM

622 posts, read 949,314 times

Advertisements

Delaware has one of the smallest populations in the US and Delaware is the 2nd smallest state in the US so I think it makes more sense for Southern New Jersey to become part of Delaware rather than Pennsylvania. That will increase population from only 897,934 people to about 3,319,975 people. Maybe Delaware could also take over Philadelphia County and Delaware County from PA as well. That will increase population even more to 5,404,960 people. I think Delaware should not be part of Maryland and instead have Delaware take over Southern NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 07:40 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
In post #8 I asked what the benefit to DE would be and so far I haven't heard one reason it makes any sense.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:39 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Delaware has one of the smallest populations in the US and Delaware is the 2nd smallest state in the US so I think it makes more sense for Southern New Jersey to become part of Delaware rather than Pennsylvania. That will increase population from only 897,934 people to about 3,319,975 people. Maybe Delaware could also take over Philadelphia County and Delaware County from PA as well. That will increase population even more to 5,404,960 people. I think Delaware should not be part of Maryland and instead have Delaware take over Southern NJ.
Your question is like asking: "What if Ukraine annexed Russia?"

Here's a hint - when a (proposed) state of more than 3.3 million people and a state of less than 900k join, it's not the smaller state that's doing the annexing. Jersey voters would make up 79% of the electorate of the new state. Jersey's politics and economy and culture would dominate. Regardless of what you call the new entity, southern New Jersey would not become 'part of Delaware'. Rather, Delaware would become a strange extension of (the new state of) South Jersey.

That's not a debatable point - it's just math.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:14 AM

622 posts, read 949,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Your question is like asking: "What if Ukraine annexed Russia?"

Here's a hint - when a (proposed) state of more than 3.3 million people and a state of less than 900k join, it's not the smaller state that's doing the annexing. Jersey voters would make up 79% of the electorate of the new state. Jersey's politics and economy and culture would dominate. Regardless of what you call the new entity, southern New Jersey would not become 'part of Delaware'. Rather, Delaware would become a strange extension of (the new state of) South Jersey.

That's not a debatable point - it's just math.
How could Jersey's politics, economy and culture would dominate? Trenton would no longer be the capital for the lower 8 counties. Instead Dover would be a new capital for the lower 8 counties of NJ (soon to be called the upper 8 counties of DE). The culture would become Delaware's culture. The economy of SNJ would become part of Delaware's economy. The politics of SNJ would be Delaware's politics as well. Cities such as Atlantic City would no longer listen to what Trenton does. Instead, they would listen to what Dover does.

If Delaware became part of the new state of South Jersey or Southern New Jersey became part of Delaware, I would still call the state Delaware because it has the Delaware Bay in the middle and there is already a New Jersey in the US. I would rather call the new expanded state Delaware rather than South Jersey. South Jersey sounds weird to me. Delaware sounds better. If Southern New Jersey ever left New Jersey, it would more likely become part of Delaware rather than a new state and the state would still mostly likely be called Delaware.

Atlantic City, SJ, Wilmington, SJ and Dover, SJ sounds awkward to me. Atlantic City, DE, Wilmington, DE and Dover, DE sounds better to me.

Last edited by muppethammer26; 05-09-2014 at 12:34 AM..

Old 05-09-2014, 06:59 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
In post #8 I asked what the benefit to DE would be and so far I haven't heard one reason it makes any sense.

CRICKETS. CHIRP, CHIRP.

I will assume that you agree there is no benefit to DE. or else you would have responded to my question. If you think about it, that's pretty funny, even you, who proposes it, can't give a single good reason for it for DE. Well, I guess there goes this thread.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:30 AM

201 posts, read 414,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Again, one of the best parts about Delaware is its small population. I don't think anyone here WANTS it to quadruple.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:40 AM

34 posts, read 59,846 times
I'm trying to selling New Castle to NJ or PA!

Old 05-09-2014, 12:42 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
I like that idea, huntin

Old 05-09-2014, 12:53 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I like that idea, huntin
I'll help.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:55 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
rdlr--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware