Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 04:58 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times

Advertisements

I am looking at what might be available in the Lewes, DE area for a basic telephone land line.

Where I am presently located in PA, Verizon does not advertise a basic landline phone service, but, they have one if you specifically ask for it by calling Verizon (after they try to sell you everything else). It runs about $9 per month plus taxes for a total of around $16 per month. It covers unlimited local calling and a charge per minute for long distance. There is no caller ID, no call waiting etc. This is the type of land line I want in DE.

I know that Comcast services the condo community I am interested in for internet and cable TV. But, I can't find any information on a basic telephone landline being offered by Comcast. The only ones that show up on an internet query involve unlimited calling local and long distance for about $40 per month.

I am not interested in bundling a land line with internet and TV because I don't like seeing the prices get jacked up after 12 months and then I am stuck with paying for something I don't want or need.

I managed to find a Comcast TV package covering just 10 TV stations at a reasonable price when combined with internet. But, so far no luck finding a basic telephone land line by doing an internet search.

Is this one of those things that does not exist under Comcast or do I have to go into a local Comcast office in Lewes and specifically ask for it because they will not volunteer the information unless I ask?

Mary2014

PS: I don't like using a cell phone - so that is not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 06:17 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
You will need to call Verizon and find out if they serve that area by providing your address. For example, my community does not have any Verizon service unless it is cellular. We have buried phone lines and Verizon is not an option. If you currently have it they "should" be able to look it up for you or at least give you a point of contact here in De.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:40 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
I don't think Verizon offers a land line phone in the Lewes area. That is why I was hoping Comcast might have a basic telephone land line option that does not cost a fortune.

I suppose when the time comes I will just have to go to one of their service centers and ask if they have a basic package. In PA Verizon does not advertise this option because they want you to buy their more expensive packages.

Mary2014

Old 05-22-2014, 07:36 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
I don't think Verizon offers a land line phone in the Lewes area. That is why I was hoping Comcast might have a basic telephone land line option that does not cost a fortune.

I suppose when the time comes I will just have to go to one of their service centers and ask if they have a basic package. In PA Verizon does not advertise this option because they want you to buy their more expensive packages.

Mary2014
There are many different "areas" in Lewes. When I had a business in downtown Lewes years ago we had Verizon.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:16 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
I swear my our Magic Jack Plus if that would work for you....you just need high speed internet and a good router. Make sure you have a decent modem and internet connection as well or the sound quality will be choppy. Free long distance calling nationwide, caller id, voice mail, all for around $30/year after purchase. You can even bring the Magic Jack with you when you travel abroad with your laptop and plug it in to make phone calls. I did this last year when we traveled to St. Martin because I cannot use my cell outside the country (very expensive). I will be bringing it with me again this summer when we travel abroad as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware