Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 04:27 PM

13,036 posts, read 17,954,726 times

Advertisements

Beach liz, as you know we are here a full year now. To prove your statement above (former NY'ers, are we),if you want to appreciate just how affordable, here is to us, here goes. All our home bills here for the past one year period, which includes taxes, sewer, garbage, homeowners insurance, electric, gas, cable, water, Direct TV (sorry, we are still NY sport fans ), car insurance, HOA and even Health Insurance were just a bit over 1 1/2 times our taxes in NY. My NY car insurance was better than doubled, cable was much more in NY, don't think about electric bills. Suffice to say that the electric bill here for the first 3 months in an all electric home except for the fireplace, equaled just my summer month electric ONLY bill in NY. I had a gas stove and oil heat there too. I can honestly say our life style has not changed so that is not why the bills are cheaper in comparison, if anything, DH is now retired so he is at home more than he was.

Now that is why the northerners flock here. For us, that was part of it but the beach life was what drew us here initially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 02:35 PM

589 posts, read 1,342,695 times
1) Please give your general location.

I'm in the Newark/Glasgow area

2) How long have you lived in DE?

Since October of 2010

3) Please briefly indicate your feelings about the current real estate market in DE - are prices on the rise, stable, are there bargain areas, overpriced areas? Any comments welcome including projections for the future.

I don't follow the market really, we are renting a single family home and plan to stay there until the kids have moved out, then we will buy something smaller. Looking at about 5 years, maybe less.

4) Have you personally been the victim of a crime in DE or do you personally know someone who was the victim of a crime in DE? (elaborate if you wish)

I haven't been a victim. But I've witnessed a shoplifting incident, and heard about armed robberies (including a murder) at retail locations within walking distance of my home. Do I worry about leaving my home at night? no. Does crime happen? yes.

5) Is organic food difficult to find in DE grocery stores and restaurants?

Not difficult at all near me, but I've heard that the selection can be limited in the southern part of the state. Depends on where you shop.

6) How many people do you personally know that have contracted Lyme disease from a tick bite in DE?

None. My family has not had a tick problem since we've moved here. But the ants..... they've been bad in my area.

7) How many dogs do you know of that have contracted either heart worm or Lyme in DE? (please indicate which.) Do you find that fleas are a common issue for dogs in DE?

My dog has had no problems, nor have I heard of any others.

8) When is the last time you saw a black widow or brown recluse on your property or in your house and how often does this happen? (which spider and are you 100% certain you correctly identified it?)

We get tons of spiders, and tons of carpenter bees. But I haven't seen any poisonous spiders outside of zoos/nature centers.

9) When is the last time you encountered a rattle snake or copperhead, where, and how often does this happen? I am not concerned about other kinds of snakes.

I've not seen any of either, again with the exception of zoos, etc.

10) Do you currently have a mosquito bite? (or other bug bite)

I do not, but my teen daughter was walking around some marsh/swamp in a nearby park a few days ago, and she is covered.

Please give a word, a phrase, or a sentence that first comes to mind when you think of each of the following areas (the reputation, housing, people, and/or general atmosphere there):

Here I'm going to have trouble, I don't have much input on most areas.

-- Hockessin - Big athletic/rec center
-- Bear - Strip mall central
-- Middletown - lots of starter homes, quaint downtown with an awesome cheese shop
-- Townsend - Small. Blink and you'll miss it.
-- Odessa - Small, heavy on the history, Cantwell's tavern.
-- Smyrna - No input on this
-- Camden-Wyoming - No input
-- rural area west of Dover - no input
-- Milford - no input
-- Milton - no input
-- Lewes - quaint beach town, more relaxation, not a party spot
-- Millsboro - no input
-- Ocean View - no input

Old 09-06-2014, 02:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,525 times
I don't have the patience to respond to everything(lol) But just a Couple of things..I'm from NYC and I've lived here about 6 years.Delaware isn't a bad place to be.Some rentals are very overpriced but you can find some decent places for a good deal.Ticks (of all kinds)seem to be pretty prominent here.Ive Found a few brown recluse this year but this is the first year I've ever found any.i had no idea DE had rattlesnakes (like most people here,even those who have lived here their whole lives) BUT last summer I had a very unwelcome guest show up in the rock bed against my front door,and it was a...yup,rattlesnack..I actually called the local police dept Bcus I was convinced it must have been someone pet and they got tired of it until the local police called animal control and they informed it was native to delaware and they moved it to a more suitable location.From what they (animal control)said they are very very scarce here and I was just one of the lucky few who got to have an encounter with one of their lucky few p.s,I live in Dover

Old 09-07-2014, 11:57 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,893,630 times
Wow....rattlesnake in Dover!!! I have heard of possible sightings up in northern New Castle County (rocky/hilly areas of Brandywine Hundred) because PA does have them and so does NJ....just never heard of them as far south as Dover. I guess animal control would recognize one when they saw it-nice to know though. I'll definitely keep a look out for them in Sussex and post if I see one.
Oh yes, ticks....cannot wait until the first freeze!!! We have lots of them. Spiders....lots of those too. I was just bitten by a small brown one the other day, but I'm fine so I'm not too concerned.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:15 PM

314 posts, read 551,684 times
-- Hockessin - Cab Calloway's home during his twilight years
-- Bear - Lots of townhomes
-- Middletown - An area that was once rural and desolate, but has become a product of suburban sprawl and white flight in recent times.
-- Townsend - Outskirts of Middletown
-- Odessa - Same as Townsend
-- Smyrna - More rural than Middletown. I guess it wouldn't be a bad commute if you worked in Dover.
-- Camden-Wyoming - I don't know.
-- Milford - Only one bar in town
-- Milton - Where is that?
-- Lewes - There is a ferry that goes to Cape May, NJ.
-- Millsboro - no input
-- Ocean View - no input

Old 09-11-2014, 07:54 AM

9,693 posts, read 14,175,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngprodigy21 View Post
-- Hockessin - Cab Calloway's home during his twilight years
-- Bear - Lots of townhomes
-- Middletown - An area that was once rural and desolate, but has become a product of suburban sprawl and white flight in recent times.
-- Townsend - Outskirts of Middletown
-- Odessa - Same as Townsend
-- Smyrna - More rural than Middletown. I guess it wouldn't be a bad commute if you worked in Dover.
-- Camden-Wyoming - I don't know.
-- Milford - Only one bar in town
-- Milton - Where is that?
-- Lewes - There is a ferry that goes to Cape May, NJ.
-- Millsboro - no input
-- Ocean View - no input
Camden is a Town
Wyoming is a Town

Old 09-12-2014, 03:23 AM

10 posts, read 10,239 times
I can only comment on your survey. I'am still enroute to Delaware. But for what it's worth when my sister told me she wanted to sell our home and move to Delaware I thought she was Nuts! After dragging me to Dover area weekend after weekend my view changed. To describe the area as a partial resident the most outstanding feature for me would be "quiet". The loud noises of the big city are not heard here. Sirens, Constant blowing of car horns and such. I'am also crazy about the outdoors. So when sitting in front of our now vacant lot I saw a red bird and later a bluebird and what appeared to be the distinctive orange and black of an oriole I was overwhelmed. Many of the homes in our sub division have screened in porches but not all.
That's my two cents worth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware