Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 10:11 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,184,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re:....'alot to do with what you are used to'.

You know come to think of it you're onto something there. We noticed that we seem to lean to places that sort of have the ambiance of what we like where we live plus offering something different too. Have to say the 'shore' has its attractions when you've lived in that kind of environment for awhile.
Aw yes. You do know the "shore" is in Jersey. We have beaches in Delaware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 06:41 AM

56 posts, read 161,060 times
We are recent transplants to the "up and coming" town of Claymont. We wanted out of Philadelphia and moved to the 'burbs for more space and less congestion. In the last 7 months we've settled in to the new lifestyle and people are people wherever you go. You get the opinionated ones, the friendly ones, the grumpy ones, and everything in-between. Looking forward to more day-trips to the beach this summer, though!

Old 06-18-2014, 12:14 PM

15 posts, read 38,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyP27 View Post
We are recent transplants to the "up and coming" town of Claymont. We wanted out of Philadelphia and moved to the 'burbs for more space and less congestion. In the last 7 months we've settled in to the new lifestyle and people are people wherever you go. You get the opinionated ones, the friendly ones, the grumpy ones, and everything in-between. Looking forward to more day-trips to the beach this summer, though!
Who says Claymont is "up and coming"? I am about to start a job in Wilmington and looking to buy a house somewhere closer to Philly, Claymont has the perfect location but I'm told it's not that desirable.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:56 AM

56 posts, read 161,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatthewo View Post
Who says Claymont is "up and coming"? I am about to start a job in Wilmington and looking to buy a house somewhere closer to Philly, Claymont has the perfect location but I'm told it's not that desirable.
We purchased in Darley Green (will share the pros and cons of that experience privately) and have friends that live off of Harvey. We all commute to Philly. I love being 10 minutes to Rt 202 commercial corridor and if the Commonwealth Group ever makes some real progress on their commercial lots next to Food Lion on Phila Pike. We otherwise like walking/biking to Claymont Steak, Primos, Dunkin, Ritas, etc., up on Phila Pike.

We have a diverse population within our complex (starting with an SES that can afford a "mid 200's"-plus townhome) and we see all range of people when out and about. We lived in North Philly for 9 years in an "up and coming" neighborhood so we know the reality is that it won't happen overnight. When people like you and I move in and take pride in their neighborhood and encourage others to do so it comes up! We have an active owners association as well and always are chatting online about issues and solutions.

There are a few townhomes for sale in our complex and you can walk to the SEPTA line (less than a mile) if it suits your schedule! I'd say come take a look. No matter where you go there are cool neighbors and jerks of all income ranges, so don't rule out Claymont if you can come take a look and meet some people first.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:30 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,383 times
....'the shore' is in Jersey...'

Yeah come to think of it everybody says the 'Jersey Shore'. So for Del it 's 'Hey I'll be going to the 'beach', eh??? Curious too about how everybody describes going to the 'Chesapeake' areas! We like it there too!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:21 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,259,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
....'the shore' is in Jersey...'

Yeah come to think of it everybody says the 'Jersey Shore'. So for Del it 's 'Hey I'll be going to the 'beach', eh??? Curious too about how everybody describes going to the 'Chesapeake' areas! We like it there too!
Presumably you mean the side nearest Delaware. That's called The Eastern Shore of Maryland, no matter where you're from. (Except when it's in Virginia, and then it's The Eastern Shore of Virginia.) No need to mention the Chesapeake. Everybody knows that's what is meant.

Funny, I never realized: Jersey to the east of Delaware is the shore. Chesapeake Bay to the west of Delaware is the shore. But Delaware coastal regions -- bay and ocean -- are beaches.

What do Marylanders call Ocean City when they're talking about heading to the ???????? for the weekend. I think it's the beach, but I'm not really sure.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:29 PM

15 posts, read 38,594 times
We just say "going down the Ocean" (or more accurately, "goin' down 'e ocean"). Everyone knows what you mean when you say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware