Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 10:59 PM

319 posts, read 504,462 times

Advertisements

Hi,

During a short trip to Massachusetts, I had opportunity to have a beer again that I hadn't
had in a while but used to enjoy back when I lived there.

The beer was Berkshire Brewing Company (BBC) Drayman's Porter.

I am no beer connoisseur, but I certainly know what tastes great (to me at least).

I can't get this darn beer out of my mind and I was wondering if anyone would
know of a local offering (Dogfishead experts out there?) that might taste similar
to BBC Drayman's Porter or perhaps what I am really asking for is beer (or is it
ales?) recommendations in the same family or category.

I found a description: Berkshire Brewing Company

I looked into ordering online, but it is not possible. After all, why not support
a local company. I've been reading that Delaware has a great craft beer
community. So, I'm hoping to get recommendations.

Thank you in advance and I will certainly raise my glass in appreciation to your
recommendations.

Last edited by newmassphd; 05-30-2014 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: fix typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 11:06 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
DogFish gives tours at their Milton plant and free samples, Come on down and check it out Then of course there is 16 Mile in Georgetown. Too many to sample.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:28 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
Delaware does have great local craft beer! We also have some fun local craft beer festivals. There is one at the Rusty Rudder in October, one at 45th St. in Ocean City in October, and my favorite: Brews on the Beach at Hoopers Crab House in west OC on Sept. 6. Delmarva in general has a diverse craft beer following. You get to try samples of the craft beer at these festivals, which is how I became such a fan of craft beer.

There are craft beers from all over the country at Brews on the Beach--perhaps the beer you're thinking of is there???

Old 06-01-2014, 06:06 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
Although the brewery tour at Dogfish Head's Milton facility is definitely something to do, I'd also strongly recommend going on down the road to Rehoboth Beach and sampling some of the unique brews at the Dogfish Restaurant, which always has stuff you can't get anywhere else. Last weekend included an amazing 90 Minute IPA (one of their regular products) that had been infused with jalapeño and grapefruit. It had deep jalapeño flavor but without the heat, since the grapefruit apparently neutralizes the heat while not actually imparting any grapefruit flavor (that I could detect). They also had the best spruce flavored beer I've ever had -- totally put the product made by Yards to shame.Lots of very fresh spruce/piney flavor.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:37 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Here's our newest/oldest favorite distillery. In the 1950's we frequented the Smyrna Theater to see Gene Autry. Now, we frequent the Smyrna Theater (Stave) to drink beer.

The Old Smyrna Theater | Painted Stave Distilling

Once in the site, click the links across the top of the page

Old 06-01-2014, 09:23 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,624 times
Nice article in the Washington Post about craft breweries in Delaware and Maryland:
Craft beers crash the party at Maryland, Delaware beaches
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware